[ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

toomuchofthat

Re: [ANN] New Wavetable Synth: "Vital"

Post by toomuchofthat »

Ok, thank you for your answer.

I hope that will happen!
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

studio32

Post by studio32 »

Strong part are the visuals probably. If you're starting with a synth, this might be a good one.

Has quite some privacy concerns it seems. Is this the facebook-model? On the forum I can check someone's forum stats the times/hours he spend on forum), while I don't even have a account, strange. You had to log in constantly in Vital, all though that seems to be solved. It's closed source, I'm not sure what it does to gather data.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 10:46 am Has quite some privacy concerns it seems. Is this the facebook-model? (..) It's closed source, I'm not sure what it does to gather data.
The authors' reputation makes me fairly confident that there's likely nothing 'evil' going on there.

If I understand correctly it is using an online service for some (non-'live') part of the synth. This of course has some downsides (it makes those features only available when (and as long as) that service is there, and introduces some potential for some tracking by the service provider).

I prefer completely stand-alone open source software for various reasons, but I don't see any indication of 'foul play' here.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Fair point and I agree that the reputation of the developer is (very) good (Helm synth etc.). But still, someone with a good reputation can still make mistakes or something could take over (it's closed source, we can't check). He doesn't have a good eye for privacy issues it seems. Those problems could be fixed though.
tseaver
Established Member

Post by tseaver »

If I understand correctly it is using an online service for some (non-'live') part of the synth. This of course has some downsides (it makes those features only available when (and as long as) that service is there, and introduces some potential for some tracking by the service provider).
I believe the "text-to-wavetable" feature uses some third-party service to do the actual conversion. I can't imagine wanting to do that during any kind of "live" performance, but then I'm not a synth person (when playing music live, anyway).
Ubuntu, Mixbus32C; acoustic blues / country / jazz
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

...some little third party called 'google'. It's offering a service used to create wavetables.
Which is part of sound design, not performance. People are better served joining
the official Vital forum, rather than guessing and gossiping :roll:

https://forum.vital.audio/
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

To close the loop here: the code is now open source (GPLv3, https://github.com/mtytel/vital).

There are some restrictions: notably, you cannot use the name 'vital', and you cannot connect to the 'official' webservices vital uses from your own builds. I don't know how strongly this reduces the usability of the synth.
elcalen
Established Member

Post by elcalen »

raboof wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am I don't know how strongly this reduces the usability of the synth.
For those currently using the free version, very little, I would think. Mostly it means you can't download the extra presets etc that are part of the paid versions. And I imagine the text-to-speech thing wouldn't work, either (but that's not something I personally really care about, I've never even tried it)...
Artist name Ben Enkindle. Making electronic music exclusively with Linux software.
LAM
Established Member

Post by LAM »

For TTW you can use your preferred TTS and save to wav, then import it in Vital or Vial (if it will be the FOSS version name).
Worked for me. :D

in mix, nobody can hear your screen

Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I opened a separate thread for the FLOSS release of Vital -> viewtopic.php?f=24&t=22825

@raboof feel free to merge them, although mine refers specifically to the possibility of it being forked to respect the trademark
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

raboof wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:53 am
rncbc wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 5:33 pm well, it's not "Free" nor it's "Open Source" either, please

until further notice, stop calling it that.
Yeah, that would make sense - @Audiojunkie could you update the title of this thread? (I can also take care of it if you don't mind)
Sorry. I've been away for a while. I just logged back in and saw this. It looks like you corrected it already. Sorry about that! :-)
Audiojunkie
Established Member

Post by Audiojunkie »

raboof wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:35 am To close the loop here: the code is now open source (GPLv3, https://github.com/mtytel/vital).

There are some restrictions: notably, you cannot use the name 'vital', and you cannot connect to the 'official' webservices vital uses from your own builds. I don't know how strongly this reduces the usability of the synth.
Ah! Relief! I feel vindicated. :-D
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Audiojunkie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:50 pm been away for a while. I just logged back in and saw this. It looks like you corrected it already. Sorry about that! :-)
No worries - and welcome back :)