BackupBand 0.C

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Re: BackupBand 0.C

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

wolftune wrote:marked 41 and 48. 41 is supposed to refer to 44.1kHz?
how the hell did I do that??

And how can you be the only one who noticed??????????
Strange that "41" instruments are a lot larger file size than the 48…
the 44k set contains the very large acoustic piano instrument. For 48k, I moved it to the "extra" zip.

Author of BackupBand at https://sourceforge.net/projects/backupband/files/
My fans show their support by mentioning my name in their signature.

SirAmpersand
Established Member

Post by SirAmpersand »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:The songsheet is a binary format, so you can't create/edit them with a text editor. You have to wait for the next BackupBand version which will contain the "songsheet creator/editor". (I'm working on it right now).

And that's why there's no docs on how to do it. It's not finished yet.
Ok, good to know that.
j_e_f_f_g wrote: Right now, you should concentrate on the performance and customization.

PERFORMANCE: Are you having any timing/playback issues? This is supposed to be interactive in realtime. Is it behaving that way for you? Does anything sound "weird" or completely unnatural? Does it sound like a 3 piece band backing you up live? Are the robots "following" you adequately. You need to let me know if this is so, before fooling with anything else. Because if it doesn't pass this test, it's of little use to you.
Well, it´s stable with Jack now! Had it running for at least 3 hours on more days in a row - and had a good times jamin arround with it.
Is´s musical but I have to say I had muted the bass because I play it by myself - but I will have an eye/ear on that next times! 8)
j_e_f_f_g wrote: CUSTOMIZATION: It's supposed to be able to be controlled by lots of different hardware. Have you been able to get it working with the hardware you intend to use to change chords, start/stop play, etc? Are you able to control it in a manner you find most comfortable? Are you able to customize the user interface (window layout) so that it has only what you want, arranged in a way that makes it easy to operate on whatever computer you're using?

Bottom line: Is this working well at simulating a live 3 piece band following you, and are you able to control it easily and quickly enough such that you'd use it for live performance/practise?
Here ist my story:
I have an HP2560 Laptop and and the first thing I mentioned that the keycombinations (exept the right mouse which swithes to minor) don´t work.
I dont have a mouse attached (and will not have) so I don´t have a middle mousebutton for usage!
Unfortunateley there is no other way to change the cords via the GUI - which borougt me 2 plan B:
I tried to connect to my 25 key midi keyboard. First it wasnt recognized (Backupband: your midi input is allready in use).
I got it connected to Backupband by switching of the ALSA MIDI in Cadence (on KX Studio)! It´s ok for testing but it hurts a bit, especialy if you want run other programms in parralell and you want to root midi between sources and devices.
After playing arround for a while I realized that he handling for me as a bassist or a guitarist via the midikeyboard is not the way I want to navigate throug chords mainly.
Even I could ever play all the chords precise and fast enough on my microkeyboard I had to remove a hand from my instrument on every change and stand beside the device all the time.

I am looking forward to the songsheets working and beeing expandable. I´am not a real programmer or software architekt but what about the idea to make the songsheets plain text and not binary? You could sit anywhere and text your musical idea on your phone or pc in a skripted way like:" 4/4 124bpm ||: C | F | C | C | F | Fdim C | C | G | G | C | Am | Dm | G : ||" send it to your workstation and copy it then to sketches/songs.
Beside you didint need to programm an extra editor ....

Cheers
Ampersand
Fender 95 Jazz Bass 5 String, TL Audio Fat2, FocusriteSaffire, LMK3+, SamsonGraphite M25,
KX STUDIO, Ardour, Musescore, Hydrogen, Qmidiarp, Seq24, Yoshimi, Qsynth, ZynaddSubFX, Frescobaldi , SuperCollider, Arduino+Mididings ... I love 2 play and learn !
SirAmpersand
Established Member

Post by SirAmpersand »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:If none of the songsheets are being shown in the list, that means backupband can't find them on your hard drive.

Are they in your home folder in the following directory?

BackupBand/Styles/Songs
Yes, they´re in the right place... maybe they are damaged because of unzipping. I´ll try to download all again ...
Thanks
Ampersand
Fender 95 Jazz Bass 5 String, TL Audio Fat2, FocusriteSaffire, LMK3+, SamsonGraphite M25,
KX STUDIO, Ardour, Musescore, Hydrogen, Qmidiarp, Seq24, Yoshimi, Qsynth, ZynaddSubFX, Frescobaldi , SuperCollider, Arduino+Mididings ... I love 2 play and learn !
j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

SirAmpersand wrote:switching off the ALSA MIDI in Cadence
Ah, you're using the alsa Seq API (not Raw Midi). In that case, when you set "Human -> Controller -> Device", you want to choose "Software" as the device type (not Hardware).
midikeyboard is not the way
Seems to me Bass Pedals would be your best choice.
songsheets plain text and not binary?
With a songsheet, you can change a chord anywhere, not just on the downbeat (like your example). Plus you can change tempo, instruments, volume, etc. Basically, issue any of the 230 commands on the "Setup -> Commands" screen. Plus you can specify sections to repeat, including with alternate endings. Given this level of complexity, an editor really is needed.

j_e_f_f_g
Established Member

Post by j_e_f_f_g »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:
SirAmpersand wrote:switching off the ALSA MIDI in Cadence
Ah, you're using the alsa Seq API (not Raw Midi). In that case, when you set "Human -> Controller -> Device", you want to choose "Software" as the device type (not Hardware).
midikeyboard is not the way
Seems to me Bass Pedals would be your best choice.
songsheets plain text and not binary?
With a songsheet, you can change a chord anywhere, not just on the downbeat (like your example). Plus you can change tempo, instruments, volume, styles, variations, etc. Basically, issue any of the 230 commands on the "Setup -> Commands" screen. Plus you can specify sections to repeat, including with alternate endings. Given this level of complexity, an editor really is needed.

MGdesigner
Established Member

Post by MGdesigner »

j_e_f_f_g wrote:If none of the songsheets are being shown in the list, that means backupband can't find them on your hard drive.

Are they in your home folder in the following directory?

BackupBand/Styles/Songs
OK. My problem is solved. You use absolute path ~/BackupBand/ . I put at ~/bin/BackupBand ,so it didn't find songsheets folder. I think absolute path code need to change to relative path.