Sonoj Convention 2018 video recordings now available

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

nils
Established Member

Sonoj Convention 2018 video recordings now available

Post by nils »

The Sonoj Convention 2018 has successfully ended and its video
recordings are now available online, for free.

You can watch them under

https://media.ccc.de/c/sonoj2018

or on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRETFH ... Uxz3k9lrZA

(if we get 100 Youtube Subscribers we can change the Channel URL, so please consider subscribing)

Additional information is available in the archive

https://sonoj.org/archive/

Please forward this information to whom it may concern, thank you.
stanlea
Established Member

Re: Sonoj Convention 2018 video recordings now available

Post by stanlea »

FalkTX you're brilliant ! :D :shock: :mrgreen:
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

subscribed ;-)
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

I watched a couple of these last night. I like them!
I agree 110% with falkTX that there's no need for more plugin formats. (I would have liked to hear more talk about why plugins are not necessary with linux. This fascinates me!)
I also agree 110% with Leo's perspective, that too many choices can lead to confusion and non-productivity. Some of the best native synths for linux are also some of the oldest! imo.. :)

For example, Mx44.... why not improve it? Or Add64?
Also, we have Alsa Modular Synth. I'm happy to have VCVrack in my collection. Does that mean that Alsa Modular Synth should be abandoned?? --No way!!

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

briandc wrote:I would have liked to hear more talk about why plugins are not necessary with linux
I disagree with falkTX here. Copy-pasting code of third-party software yields to:
  • unreasonable bloating of code base
  • forced releases when there was a problem fixed in the module's upstream
  • potential built-in vulnerabilities provided by upstream module
  • back-porting hell as a result of previous two items
  • library confilcts: when some module requires another version of library (for example, GTK3) than your project (for example, GTK2)
  • runime environment confilcts: if you're coding without C++ exceptions and STL and the module actively uses exceptions and STL, for example
  • language confilcts: you're free to use any language to implement plugin. But when you integrate this module, you need to support this language or at least it's runtime
  • portablilty problems: some code can work only on specific platform and/or architecture. If we really need this module for our cross-platform application, we are required to port this specific module to all supported platforms/architectures
Dynamically-loaded modules called plugins allow to avoid many related problems, and that's why plugins are better than built-in code/modules.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

sadko4u wrote:Dynamically-loaded modules called plugins allow to avoid many related problems, and that's why plugins are better than built-in code/modules.
Generalisation on this isn't very prudently. Dynamically-loaded modules called plugins could introduce a couple of problems as well.
For example, in the guitarix project we've a couple of internal plugins, because, they need access to some function calls which ain't handled by the plugin API. Also, we've included some plugs from external source which we've ported to our own plugin API, to ensure that they work the way we like.
That is, by the way, what most host applications do, a mixture of dynamic loaded plugs with in-build static plugs.
That is, as well one of the reasons why Ardour devs provide binary's, so they ensure that the "dynamic linked used library's" do what they should do.

Having control above your complete application, including any part (plugin, library, . . ) could avoid a couple of bug-reports. :wink:
On the road again.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

I've watched a couple of these now, and find the talk by FalkTX especially interesting - and a bit of a surprise. I don't agree with everything he says, but he makes a lot of sense.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Interesting reactions. I guess it shows that this forum contains many developers and very technical power users.

I would have guessed that for a general musicians audience the talk of falktx would be the least interesting. And I stress that this is not a statement about the inherent quality!! It is just meant in relation to my assumed target audience in the form of LM forum members and Sonoj Convention audience, which I think are mostly the same type of people.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

tramp wrote:For example, in the guitarix project we've a couple of internal plugins, because, they need access to some function calls which ain't handled by the plugin API. Also, we've included some plugs from external source which we've ported to our own plugin API, to ensure that they work the way we like.
That's the problem because these plugins are not reusable outside guitarix.
tramp wrote:That is, by the way, what most host applications do, a mixture of dynamic loaded plugs with in-build static plugs.
Nobody denies to use built-in plugins. But disabiling external plugins will lower the popularity of product and require times more man-hours to port the required modules into the monolith software (if it is even possible).
tramp wrote:That is, as well one of the reasons why Ardour devs provide binary's, so they ensure that the "dynamic linked used library's" do what they should do.
Ardour devs provide binaries of additional libraries because they can not guarantee that the native library used by Ardour behaves correctly on target linux system.
tramp wrote:Having control above your complete application, including any part (plugin, library, . . ) could avoid a couple of bug-reports. :wink:
That's right but not completely true. Internals should be 100% controlled, but pluggable interface is necessity rather than option for current audio software.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.