GxPlugins.lv2 v0.5 released

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

GxPlugins.lv2 v0.5 released

Post by tramp »

Hi

Today I released a new version of the GxPlugins.lv2 package.
GxPlugins been Lv2 plugins based on circuit simulations from various pedals. True mostly they are distortion pedals from the last century. :lol:
Some of them been amp simulations, some been plain filters.
However, this release introduce the switch from GTK based user interfaces to Xlib based ones.
This means, they will work now flawless in nearly any host, at least in any I've tried so far.

As well this release add a couple of more sims, from changelog:

add GxHeathkit.lv2
add GxFz1b.lv2
add GxFz1s.lv2
add GxKnightFuzz.lv2
add GxLiquidDrive
add GxDOD250.lv2
add GxMicroAmp
add GxTubeDistortion

As a side note, GxPlugins been developed with the MOD as host in mind, therefore they are optimized to use as less CPU power as possible, therefore they work best at the SampleRate the MOD use, which is 48kHz. They work as well on 96kHz (by downsampling), but don't use them in projects with 44,1kHz or 88,2kHz.

So, here you go:
https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2/releases

regards
hermann
On the road again.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: GxPlugins.lv2 v0.5 released

Post by glowrak guy »

I tried X42's lv2vst wrapper, and a huge collection of your GX plugins
are now available in linux reaper, and likely would also work
in other daws that lack direct lv2 support. Lets hope X42
can get this solidified, and out in common repositories.
There is one marked for developers in kxstudio,
and a git page, so the future may be bright.

Last centuries distortions may be more enjoyable
than 2018 snowflake distortions, which might do a meltdown onstage :shock:
Cheers
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Dammit, just when I have a use case for 44,1kHz ;-)

Out of nostalgia, I have been trying to resuscitate my old techno live set made with Jeskola Buzz a few eons ago, and sending the 36 outputs from Buzz to to Ardour 5.12 works wonders (I was previously using Renoise as a mixer).
But more importantly, this also gave me native access to the GxPlugins.

Yet there is not really a choice when it comes to frequency: All the Buzz samplers and most of the synths are hardwired at 44.1, and that's about it. Changing the frequency is possible but then everything is out of tune - yuck....
So, nothing wrong with the GxPLugins, this is what I get for sticking with 2001 technology - just explaining why 44.1kHz.

Back to the point: all the GXPlugins I tried so far at 44.1kHz worked flawlessly and are indeed very light on CPU.
And they bring a very pleasant analog feel.
I'm in particular a big fan of the GxCompressor's default settings. Although probably not designed as a studio compressor, I found it to be quite polyvalent and transparent sounding compared to the default Ardour one - at least in this specific context.
Stability also seems to be fine (I tried 24 instances in parrallel, will probably go up to 36).
For the distortion on the 303 emulation, I am not settled yet between the Rat or the Tubescreamer, but both give a lovely acid squelch

Anyway, as usual: Good job Tramp ;-)
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

gimmeapill wrote:Dammit, just when I have a use case for 44,1kHz ;-)
No worry, I've ain't changed the dsp code, all changes been related to the GUI code.
Now, you could perfectly compile GxPlugins by your own, without having any trouble with host's which are not compiled by your own or your distribution.
gimmeapill wrote:Back to the point: all the GXPlugins I tried so far at 44.1kHz worked flawlessly and are indeed very light on CPU.
If they have worked for you in the past, then they will do in the future. I just wonted to point out that the filters been designed for 48kHz.
glowrak guy wrote:I tried X42's lv2vst wrapper, and a huge collection of your GX plugins
are now available in linux reaper, and likely would also work
in other daws that lack direct lv2 support.
Yea, a neat side effect of the move.
The LV2 plugs included within guitarix will follow soon. :)
On the road again.