Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

xaccrocheur
Established Member

Re: Peertube is the new FLOSS (and decentralized) alternative to YTube

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:(...) Peertube surely seems interesting. I'm for sure going to dig into it. Next to, as "the leader" IMO will never be beaten.
The thing is, My video "No Sister"
(https://peertube.video/videos/watch/fed ... a9085c71d7)
is, as of this post, 22th in the list of the most played videos on /all/ federated
instances
!! Can you believe that?

See, on Youtube we're nothing, but here, we can exist! Into the little
smelly shop that's just set up in front of the big obnoxious mall, we
can expect a reasonable amount of exposure and visibility :) Another
reason why I'm telling you guys that is because I simply find there's
not enough good music on there. I mean, the best music you can find is
mine, and that can't be good ;) My next album is going to be released
exclusively on Peertube.
yPhil | Music & Code | Mastodon
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:Another question.
P2P & Privacy
PeerTube uses the BitTorrent protocol to share bandwidth between users. It implies that your public IP address is stored in the public BitTorrent tracker of the video PeerTube instance as long as you're watching the video. If you want to keep your public IP address private, please use a VPN or Tor.
So, are you giving away your music to be downloaded over torrent?
Well, yes ? The video is downloadable anyway, so I'm not sure I understand the question..? Clearly the model (at least mine) here is generosity & charity: Here's my CC-XX-XX music / video, and here is my Paypal / Patreon / (recommended) Liberapay / Whatever.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:This system at least could ask if they may give it available for download like soundcloud does, or simply don't offer download as yt does. That they don't ask, aren't that clear about it and simply do it is something i don't like. If download was an optional choice which i could decline i would even join as it does look good and interesting in the beginning.

If someone else decides for his music that such (unasked) download systems are OK then that is his choice and no one will hear me complain.
Opinions may differ. Mine may too. Cheers.
Wait, this is only the video that's downloadable - and the attached license field applies only to that - so even if your "economic model" is "watch my video and buy my music at Bandcamp" it still works.

On the very matter at hand, I have no real opinion about this "download" link, and I guess it could be optional / opt out. I'm going to put the idea out there to see what the boys think about it.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:This to me doesn't sound like some kind of opt-xx but as a fact that everything goes over torrent.
Yes, you are right, so there's the answer about the download link, too: It's built-in.
42low wrote:That raised my question, are you actually giving away permission to for public downloading over torrent?
I am, yes.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:Are you "peertube" xaccrocheur? Or do you know them personally?
I'm not, and I don't ; I just exchanged with the team on various communication channels. Mind you it's an open-source system, so Peertube "is" everybody :)
42low wrote:If so. Change that download linkt to an opt-in function (as an off function with the choice to activate) and i'm in. I like to keep control over my music. It's to me to decide to give away my music, and no one else.
I like the system and setup. I only don't like the build-in download facility.

I totally can understand that a sys won't be changed only for me. If so, no problem at all, but then my personal choice is to not join.
At this point you have two options:

- Submit a proposal ticket on the repo and see if it sticks (I know I wouldn't mind voting it up);
- Install your own Peertube instance and remove the DLoad button.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:
xaccrocheur wrote:- Submit a proposal ticket on the repo and see if it sticks (I know I wouldn't mind voting it up);
I'm not that familiar with that. Perhaps i may ask you (who already knows them) to attend them on my points?
I just did ; You got me thinking, thank you very much ; although my music is CC-BY-SA and it's basically an "open barn" because heck, that's what (my) life is, a train wreck... It doesn't have to be, specifically the FLOS licences don't (no they really don't, look it up ppl) enforce a "free for all" availability of the source / thing but only that said thing is available upon request, like the author could decide it will only be delivered on CDs, delivery charged to the requester.

And considering the monstruous amount of work us libre musicians do (writing, recording, mixing, mastering, video shooting+editing, and oh my GOD the awful "please listen to my tune" so-called "social networking" where proud warriors, that eat advertising all day long in their very *brain* for really toxic shit suddenly decide to ride the lightning and bravely have a go at a homeless loser begging for some clicks) considering that if Coca Cola wanted to take my song for their next ad they're entitled to, well, yes, it makes practical, logical sense to take any opportunity you can get to talk to those people that want your stuff.

So yes. I asked.
xaccrocheur
Established Member

Post by xaccrocheur »

42low wrote:i/we make our music for fun, and want most of the fun of it back. Understand??
Nicely put 8) The ticket is here.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

At least YouTube never gave me this kind of crap:

sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

42low wrote: but not to do with it whatever and/or spread it wherever one wants.
I think that was lost when tapes came in to common use.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

sysrqer wrote:
42low wrote: but not to do with it whatever and/or spread it wherever one wants.
I think that was lost when tapes came in to common use.
I think that's actually a good point, and perhaps the main reason why Open Source software comes with licenses which operate some kind of restriction on the use, even though you can copy it so easily.

In short: use for dissemination the kind of platform you think it is best at enforcing the license terms under which you want your work to be distributed under.
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

CrocoDuck wrote:I think that's actually a good point, and perhaps the main reason why Open Source software comes with licenses which operate some kind of restriction on the use, even though you can copy it so easily.
What? https://opensource.org/docs/osd pretty much forbids the restrictions on use and Free Software definition makes it Freedom 0.

Now on the subject of PeerTube itself. I see that it sends XmlHttpRequests to other instances that host the video. This makes it incompatible with privacy focused setups like mine where I block all 3rd party requests by default.

Also it doesn't work with JavaScript disabled.
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Lyberta wrote:What? https://opensource.org/docs/osd pretty much forbids the restrictions on use and Free Software definition makes it Freedom 0.
Yes, correct. I think I should have phrased it like "there are still conditions you have to abide to, detailed in the License". It isn't just there in full anarchy.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Luc wrote:At least YouTube never gave me this kind of crap:

With which browser is that?
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

raboof wrote:With which browser is that?
Palemoon.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

Luc wrote:
raboof wrote:With which browser is that?
Palemoon.
I had a quick look and there's good and bad news: the good news is they're not doing anything evil like user-agent checking. This error is shown when there is a JavaScript error before AngularJS could be initialized - which makes some sense. They even looked into this issue for a bit already.

The bad news is that more digging is needed to find out where exactly the problem is (or even whether it is a problem on the PeerTube or Palemoon side), and even if someone fixes it, you will not be able to use PeerTube in all its P2P glory because Palemoon chooses not to support WebRTC (in which case PeerTube should still work but fall back to non-P2P playback).