Tracktion 6 is now freeware

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 6 is now freeware

Post by glowrak guy »

Luc wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:Shortcircuit has been quite a workhorse over the years.
I suppose you use v1.1.2, right? Version 2 never worked for me, I can't make it find any sample file. Apparently, it only finds Windows shortcuts inside a directory and Linux symlinks do not work.
Even windows diehards have problems with V2.x, I think the dev moved on
as a co-founder of Bitwig, before 2.x was in a finished state,
so perhaps the sampler part of the linux Bitwig version
is what Shortcircuit V.3.x eventually became?

V1.2 seems to work well, in reaper/wine, including drag & drop of samples.
I just put three jaunty beat-loop samples where my daft fingers could play them
with some semblance of syncopation, and added a few rakarracks, happy
enough with the results to tune up my old axe :wink:

You might ask osxmidi to try finding a workaround for V.2x,
it might just be a gui issue that he has come across before
as he perfects his LinVst wrapper, he is often contributing to the linux vst
discussions at

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193761
Last edited by glowrak guy on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/qu ... udio-14999

a nice tut for potential winehard Shortcircuit users.
Cheers
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello everybody (but Luc especially),

I think I'm not going to pursue Tracktion any further. It looks fine, as far as I can judge, but it doesn't accept sfz and sf2, for all I can tell. I'd have to converse all my libraries to wav, and that'll create problems elsewhere. Furthermore, the downloadable Tracktion version Tracktion offers for free seems to be Tracktion 5, not 6, as far as I can ascertain.

Furthermore as to my discussion with Luc:

Only a couple of days before writing this post, I found out that I have been entirely on the wrong track, in my attempts of a way to "play" musical instrument sample, on electric guitar, using an audio interface. This happened in discussion with a friend.

To cut a long story short:

If I play my electric guitar, connected to my desktop/laptop, I want to hear it play over my headphones:

electric guitar --> audio interface --> DAW,
works;

But what I really want is to "play" musical instrument sample, on my desktop/laptop, on an electric guitar connected to my desktop/laptop, and hear a different instrument over my headphones:

electric guitar --> audio interface --> musical instrument sample --> DAW,
doesn't work.

The chain doesn't work, since audio interfaces transfer analogue to digital (= data). But "digital" does not "understand" musical instrument sample. MIDI interfaces do. So

electric guitar --> MIDI interface --> musical instrument sample --> DAW
should work.

The ongoing confusion in the side-discussion within the frame of this thread, is probably because of assumptions made, on both sides, about audio interface functionality.

Veerstryngh Thynner
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

I can solve two of your three problems:

Problem number 1:
Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:I think I'm not going to pursue Tracktion any further. It looks fine, as far as I can judge, but it doesn't accept sfz and sf2, for all I can tell. I'd have to converse all my libraries to wav, and that'll create problems elsewhere.
Use Carla to play your sfz and sf2 files:
- Launch Carla. You can launch it standalone or as a plugin inside Tracktion.
- Behold the great white space in the middle of Carla's screen.
- Open a file manager and browse to your sfz and sf2 files.
- Drag and drop an sfz or sf2 file into Carla's great white space.
- Notice that a strip with knobs gets inserted at the top.
- Above that strip, there are three tabs: Rack, Patchbay and Logs. Click the Patchbay tab.
- You should see your sfz or sf2 file represented as a block/module. The name will be very visible so it's easy to identify it. It must have one or two output (blue) slots on the right side. Connect them to your system output (also blue). They may be called playback_1 and playback_2 inside a block called system, but I suspect those names may vary.
- Just hover your mouse pointer over the sfz or sf2 file module, so the piano roll will be enabled.
- Touch the piano roll with your mouse and listen to it.
- If Carla is running as a plugin inside Tracktion (or any other DAW for that matter), it should be ready to receive MIDI from a MIDI track inside the DAW.
- This is the Patchbay rack. Go back to the Rack tab, where you dropped the sfz or sf2 file.
- Click the icon of a wrench at the very top of the great white.
- Look for "MIDI Program" at the top. Those are the instruments available in the sfz or sf2 file. Browse and select.
- Click the Patchbay tab again and touch the piano roll to audition the instruments as you select them.
- Again: Carla can be run standalone or as a plugin inside any DAW, including Tracktion. Carla is a big Swiss Army knife that can solve many problems.

Problem number 2:
Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:the downloadable Tracktion version Tracktion offers for free seems to be Tracktion 5, not 6, as far as I can ascertain.
Version 6 is available right here:
https://www.tracktion.com/products/t6-daw

Problem number 3:
Veerstryngh Thynner wrote:But what I really want is to "play" musical instrument sample, on my desktop/laptop, on an electric guitar connected to my desktop/laptop, and hear a different instrument over my headphones:
Yeah, I know you want that, and I don't know how to do it. Maybe someone else can help.

Don't give up.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Using a guitar to control midi instruments is something that's not been solved in any platform really. The guitar is inherently bad for it because of the instability of the note information. There used to be one or two windows options but in reality they weren't great. That said I don't know of any Linux effort.
Last edited by sysrqer on Sun Sep 17, 2017 7:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sysrqer wrote:Using a guitar to control midi instruments is something that's not been solved in any platform really. The guitar is inherently bad for it because of the instability of the note information. There used to be one or two ways windows options but in reality they weren't great. That said I don't know of any Linux kernel effort.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kknfLNLYlZQ
dunno if this was mentioned yet or even relevant here but I've always wanted to know if it works on Linux.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

funkmuscle wrote:dunno if this was mentioned yet or even relevant here but I've always wanted to know if it works on Linux.
Interesting.
Here is some quick google-fu:
http://www.sonuus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=420
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Luc wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:dunno if this was mentioned yet or even relevant here but I've always wanted to know if it works on Linux.
Interesting.
Here is some quick google-fu:
http://www.sonuus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=420
hmmm! :o
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hello all,

Firstly, many thanks to Luc, for his extensive reply. Secondly, I don't have personal experience with Sonuus, but did use this:

http://www.jamorigin.com/

It's proprietary software and, therefore, once sat on a Windows 7 laptop (now dead and gone). It worked really, really well there. The action felt a bit peculiar at first, though, since MIDI Guitar 2 demands very exact fingering.

It hasn't been tested extensively in Linux as yet, as far as I'm aware, but I remember someone proof-running Jam Origin MIDi Guitar 2 in Wine, several years ago. What I recall of that attempt is that preliminary results seemed promising, at the time. Yet for lack of an electric guitar, MIDI Guitar 2 couldn't be tested any further.

That's all I can tell. That said, though, there are more ways leading to Rome. I have good hope that with Carla, Cadence and, possibly NON Session Manager, strumming guitar (connected to a MIDI interface, in addition) and hearing another instrument, over my headphones, may be feasible in Linux, too.

Veerstryngh Thynner