vcvrack.com - open source modular

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: vcvrack.com - open source modular

Post by glowrak guy »

I wonder if the presets from Beatzille/BazilleCM,
or Bazille/Bazille demo, could provide some sound design shortcuts,
by transposing 'zille cabling schemes to vcvrack, and loading modules in the rack
that approximate the various 'zille selections?
A dual monitor setup would be nice for such chores.

There are some good free modular synth ensembles usable for
30 minute sessions in Reaktor demo, that might also
be mined, Ruhr being perhaps the grandpappy of the clan.
Cheers
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

G-guy ! :)
glowrak guy wrote:I wonder if the presets from Beatzille/BazilleCM,
or Bazille/Bazille demo, could provide some sound design shortcuts,
by transposing 'zille cabling schemes to vcvrack, and loading modules in the rack
that approximate the various 'zille selections?
I'm doing it the other way 'round, I'm studying Bazille and ACE presets with an improved understanding thanks to working with Rack.
A dual monitor setup would be nice for such chores.
It's nice just to stretch the rack over both displays. :)
There are some good free modular synth ensembles usable for
30 minute sessions in Reaktor demo, that might also
be mined, Ruhr being perhaps the grandpappy of the clan.
Lots of talk on the FB page re: bringing in Reaktor modules, there are a lot of Reaktor users on-board.

Btw, I've lost count of the number of available modules. And VCV Rack v0.5.0 is soon to be released, which will bring out a few more development projects, as well as some commercial offerings.

Best,

dp
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

A quick google of vcvrack reaktor looks quite positive.
A blend of two outlier groups, not lacking in skill or imagination,
bodes well for the future!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXXzwLrVsE
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

Greetings,

VCV Rack 0.5.0 is officially released.

https://vcvrack.com/

Best,

dp
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Isn't it lovely how quickly vcvrack turned out to be an amazing piece of software?
Even with Jack support in version 0.5.1. Yey!
And now easier to install, also. Through the KXStudio repos (thanks, falkTX)!
Doesn't it also sound almost surprisingly good? For having that good gritty feel to it.

But my question: I'm not able to make vcvrack discover my 3rd party plugins. I download them, put them into the plugins folder and don't understand how to make vcvrack see them. The same thing actually happens to Grayscale, even though I install it through the plugin installer.
Anyone knows what to do?
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:That might be a packaging issue, not sure how vcvrack downloads plugins (I don't want to register to yet another service).
Is there a list of plugins you think are kinda essential? I can just add them to the package as an update.
That's a great offer! I'll come back to it.
You see, I'm not sure that's where the problem is. When I opened the 0.5.1 build from KXStudio repos and logged in, it automatically downloaded and installed the plugins I had tried in a previous build*. These run flawlessly.

But when installing something new (like Grayscale, which is available through the plugin installer), or when downloading plugins and extracting them to the plugins folder (which seems to be the method of it), these don't show up.

I would think you needed to register to another service if no plugins showed up, but it seems to me that it's more a matter of getting vcvrack to search for and recognize new plugins.
Does any of the other vcvrackers in the forum know anything about this?
How do you install new plugins?

* which are, as you asked for essential plugins:
- Audible instruments
- Befaco
- E-Series
- Fundamental
But these are the only ones I tried, so I wouldn't know which else are must haves.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

Ah, I see.
I was simply confused by the coincidence that these were the same plugins I have been trying earlier.

And I see it doesn't work to copy plugins into neither /usr/share/vcvrack nor /usr/lib/vcvrack/plugins. They still don't show up, even after trying the update button (I guess that one might check the internet rather than the folders).

I don't know what a good solution would be. Having to deal with all sorts of plugins seems like a hassle for you, and I guess some of the charm with a software like vcvrack is that people make or find plugins here and there to try out.
As I tried to, with the different little penguin zips from here: https://vcvrack.com/plugins.html
franlopez
Established Member

Post by franlopez »

Third party Rack plugins should be installed in the ~/.Rack/plugins/ folder.

Doing that, I'm failing to load modules, but if I check the logs (~/.Rack/log.txt), I see these relevant lines:

Code: Select all

[info] Loading plugins from /home/fran/.Rack/plugins
[warning] Failed to load library /home/fran/.Rack/plugins/AS/plugin.so: /home/fran/.Rack/plugins/AS/plugin.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4rack11assetPluginEPNS_6PluginENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE
I tried with other plugins and they threw the same error.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:There is no real solution for this. I'd have to build vcvrack the same way the official package does, and then hope all other developers build their code with the proper toolchain and flags...
I'm sorry to hear that.
I see your new build is without login and update buttons - which is rather fine, I think. As it is now, your build supplies most of the plugins one can install through the plugin manager anyway. And it always feels better not having to make an account and log in to something.

So how do you reckon this will develop - will the plugins available be those provided through the package, or do you think there'll be a way of installing plugins user by user?

I have no intention of complaining or being unpatient with this, I'm simply curious.
I've been making music for hours with the build and its plugins as it is now. I'm truly grateful that you made vcvrack available through the kxstudio repos! :D
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

falkTX wrote:Better to have packages for those plugins.
The best solution I see is to have a -dev vcvrack package that provides the components needed to build plugins, then have a separate plugins in another package.
Since there is a central place that stores the list of available plugins, a script that goes through all of build to download&build is possible.
Then all of them can be added into a package.
Now that sounds great!
Hope it'll work out. :D
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

falkTX wrote:There is no real solution for this.
The solution is always available. For example, use static libraries linkage or not to use C++'s 'modern' libraries like STL, Boost and another holy crap.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
Taika-Kim
Established Member

Post by Taika-Kim »

Hi, I'm really new to Linux so maybe to most this is obvious, but: what is the advantage of installing VCV Rack from the KX Studio repositories versus just downloading it from their site. Besides updates handled automatically?
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Taika-Kim wrote:Hi, I'm really new to Linux so maybe to most this is obvious, but: what is the advantage of installing VCV Rack from the KX Studio repositories versus just downloading it from their site. Besides updates handled automatically?
The Debian wiki puts it well on why it is better to prefer repo packages instead of downloaded blobs:

https://wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian

Mainly, the reason is that packages in the repos are built from source with all the correct flags to be optimally compatible with the operating system. Pre-built software instead is built with generic flags, and might perform sub-optimally. In addition to that, there is a security issue. Software from websites might be injected with malware, plus few more reasons too.
thebutant
Established Member

Post by thebutant »

CrocoDuck wrote:
Taika-Kim wrote:Hi, I'm really new to Linux so maybe to most this is obvious, but: what is the advantage of installing VCV Rack from the KX Studio repositories versus just downloading it from their site. Besides updates handled automatically?
. . . plus few more reasons too.
Good answer, CrocoDuck. And I can add one more reason - a pattern from my own life:
I wish to install a piece of software from github, from a tarball, a deb package or whatever.
This software requires quite a few dependencies. I install them, and in order to install this one dependency I need to install this other library or package.
Ok, I install everything needed.
But oh, the software won't run anyway because something wasn't compatible, something was missing or whatever.
And even if I remember some of the dependencies I just installed, I often don't remember all the packages they were dependent of and which were also installed. So my computer suddenly has lots of random libraries here and there.

No big harm done. Just that a repo handles things a lot better (as CrocoDuck also wrote).
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

Yep, tracking down dependencies and keep the system clean can be a pain when building from source. In fact, in that case, I prefer to build my own packages.