First Fix Release of GxPlugins.lv2

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

tramp
Established Member

First Fix Release of GxPlugins.lv2

Post by tramp »

Hi

The first fix release of GxPlugins.lv2 is out.
The fixes are:

Fix Power switch use as bypass control (lv2:enabled)
Fix don't rebuild on make install
Fix GxVBassPreAmp dc overload in circuit simulation

Also it comes with the new GxSD1.lv2 pedal simulation.

GxPlugins.lv2 is a set of mostly analogue guitar pedal simulations as LV2 plugins, simulated with the guitarix ampsim toolkit.
They contain the following plugs:

GxBottleRocket.lv2 - -> tube based preamp pedal
GxHotBox.lv2 - -> tube based preamp pedal
GxVBassPreAmp.lv2 - -> transistor based Bass preamp
GxSuppaToneBender.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxHyperion.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxVoodoFuzz.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxSaturator.lv2 - -> saturation plugin
GxVintageFuzzMaster.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxSuperFuzz.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxVmk2.lv2 - -> transistor based solid stage preamp
GxUVox720k.lv2 - -> transistor based solid stage preamp
GxSlowGear.lv2 - -> volume swell plugin
GxGuvnor.lv2 - -> transistor based overdrive pedal
GxToneMachine.lv2 - -> transistor based Fuzz pedal
GxSD1.lv2 - -> Op-amp based overdrive pedal

I hope they may be useful for the one or the other.
Build instruction and screenshots may be found here:

https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2

the release zip file is located here:

https://github.com/brummer10/GxPlugins.lv2/releases

regards
hermann
On the road again.
ssj71
Established Member

Re: First Fix Release of GxPlugins.lv2

Post by ssj71 »

are any of these based on a klon centaur circuit? I've heard so much about klons but haven't played around with one (to my knowledge). If none of these are I'd like to request a klon be made :)

Thanks for these great plugins! I really like the guvnor.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

ssj71 wrote:are any of these based on a klon centaur circuit?
Hi ssjj71

No, currently not.
I've just found a nice analysis about the Klon Centaur, indeed a interesting circuit. It use hard clipping and mixed it in 2 ways with the clean signal to reach the overdrive effect, interesting.
I've bookmarked the analysis and will definitely try it.
On the road again.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

tramp wrote:I've bookmarked the analysis and will definitely try it.
\o/

Thanks! :D
_ssj71

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Isn't that overdrive just good for pushing a tube amp? From everything I've read on that $2,500 pedal is that it keeps the true tone of the tube amp and just pushes it. It doesn't discolor the actual tone.
On YouTube there are many side by side test and they were pedals like the tube screamer and I think one from electro-harmonix that were under $100 and they did exactly the same thing as that expensive pedal. What I'm trying to get at is if a tube screamer does the same thing is it necessary for one of those suckers? I'm more than happy to try it out Hermann. :D
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

Since we talk about unnecessary but nice to have things: The Guvnor and SD1 are cute, yet they don't quite cut it for 80-90's metal.
What about their big brothers the Marshall Shred Master and Boss Turbo Distortion?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

gimmeapill wrote:Since we talk about unnecessary but nice to have things: The Guvnor and SD1 are cute, yet they don't quite cut it for 80-90's metal.
What about their big brothers the Marshall Shred Master and Boss Turbo Distortion?
Yeeeereeeeeeeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

funkmuscle wrote:Isn't that overdrive just good for pushing a tube amp? From everything I've read on that $2,500 pedal is that it keeps the true tone of the tube amp and just pushes it. It doesn't discolor the actual tone.
On YouTube there are many side by side test and they were pedals like the tube screamer and I think one from electro-harmonix that were under $100 and they did exactly the same thing as that expensive pedal. What I'm trying to get at is if a tube screamer does the same thing is it necessary for one of those suckers? I'm more than happy to try it out Hermann. :D
from what I've read it can be a clean boost, or give some nice dirt. One quote said its an "amp in a box."

I'm still curious about it but I'll let tramp decide how to use his time. I he doesn't think it would be worth the effort, I'll support that.
_ssj71

funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ssj71 wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:Isn't that overdrive just good for pushing a tube amp? From everything I've read on that $2,500 pedal is that it keeps the true tone of the tube amp and just pushes it. It doesn't discolor the actual tone.
from what I've read it can be a clean boost, or give some nice dirt. One quote said its an "amp in a box."

I'm still curious about it but I'll let tramp decide how to use his time. I he doesn't think it would be worth the effort, I'll support that.
Me too, I agree let Tramp make that decision.
By the way that's right it's supposed to give a clean boost. Mind you I love what it sounded like but all I'm saying is that comparing it to the tube screamer or the electro-harmonix Box there's no difference. All three pedals gave a clean boost. It didn't sound like the amps will push by Distortion box it was just the actual tone of the amp being boosted and tone not being colored at all.
But definitely I'm with you on this one that I'd love to hear what a plug-in of that pedal can do.
Baggypants
Established Member

Post by Baggypants »

ssj71 wrote:

Aren't most amps an 'amp in a box'?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

Baggypants wrote:
ssj71 wrote:

Aren't most amps an 'amp in a box'?
Hahaha, well yeah and no! preamp, power amp and speaker sim all wrapped up in a tiny pedal like the sansamp they call them that.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

Well, often the difference in several pedals is slightly minimal, but, that is also true for the single pitches you tune your guitar in. The whole picture is, what makes the difference. :)

Even most of the Fuzz pedal simulations I've made coming similar, same same, but different.
However, pedals like the Shred Master or the Turbo Distortion are a way more harder to simulate in the digital domain, I try it from time to time, when I've learned something new, just today I gave the Shred Master a go, using a additional zero stuffing oversample technique, and get some promising results, just, adjusting the controls to do the right things wont work as I wish.
Often, I face simply error prone schematic files floating around in the net, often I made errors.
But, I've fun in trying it out and learning more and more about circuits and dsp.

Thank you all for your comments, I hope you enjoy the pedal simulations I've made so far, and yes, you could expect even more simulations coming out from mine.

regards
hermann
On the road again.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

gimmeapill wrote:Since we talk about unnecessary but nice to have things: The Guvnor and SD1 are cute, yet they don't quite cut it for 80-90's metal.
In general I would disagree..

We have MANY sounds in both Guitarix and Rakkarrak for metal but we are very lacking in natural 'Overdrive' sounds like a nicely cranked amp with some EL-84 tubes (ie Vox AC-15, AC-30, Fender Blues Junior, Pro Junior etc). Some of the reason tramp has made these plugins is from posts on the MOD-Duo forum about the lack of convincing natural Overdrive simulations to get a convincing 'crunch' out of the MOD-Duo. So while some of this set may not satisfy you as a metal player they are still very important plugins to have for many other genres like blues, indie, and 'roots'.

I agree every genre in guitar plugins needs more and better selections under Linux, however I am VERY grateful tramp has taken time to address an area where there were basically no plugins or simulations at all previously.
gimmeapill
Established Member

Post by gimmeapill »

We have MANY sounds in both Guitarix and Rakkarrak for metal but we are very lacking in natural 'Overdrive' sounds like a nicely cranked amp with some EL-84 tubes (ie Vox AC-15, AC-30, Fender Blues Junior, Pro Junior etc).
How can there possibly be too many metals sounds?
Just joking - I'm perfectly happy with the Guitarix amp + Cab sim & tonestack for most metal needs (and I do have a 25 y old Shred Master in a drawer in case of emergency). Still, those pedals were quite representative of the Big Four era, so whenever the technical feasibility is there, I think they would be appreciated by more than one user, but no worries. We have more than enough to play with already ;-)

Regarding the crunch tones, I thought the JCM800 was getting the clean-ish side mostly covered...
Then what about fine tuning the tubes? With real HW, it seems to be common wisdom that replacing stock chinese 6v6 or 12ax7 with a select NOS (Sylvania, RCA, Mullard, GE etc...) can alter the sound quite dramatically, like from from harsh and brittle to butter smooth...
Or isn't that possible with the Mod?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi gimmeapill,

The MOD-Duo team is a bit overworked and still sorting through a load of plugins from their 'unstable' entry point to being stable in the actual plugin 'store'. As time goes on more and more things we appreciate from the Linux Audio world are making their way into the MOD. The JCM-800 is there and it is a good Marshall type crunch (believe me there are as many shades of crunch as there are varieties of high gain metal sounds :)) but it also at this point is a bit CPU heavy. Guitar effects are in great supply but actual amp sims have a ways to go in both the variety and usability and CPU efficiency, certainly there is nothing close to as nuanced as swapping Russian and Chinese tubes for NOS at this point.