[ANN] LSP Plugins: the first anniversary 1.0.18 release is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

Re: [ANN] LSP Plugins: the first anniversary 1.0.18 release is out!

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
sadko4u wrote:Can you provide stack trace of Ardour?
no matter which version of Ardour I use I get this:

Code: Select all

Couldn't get registers: No such process.
(gdb)
That's strange. Until I get stack trace I can't do diagnostics. Could Ardour be killed by OOM killer?
even with 8GB RAM? I'm running the governor with all 4 processor on performance, could that be a problem?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:even with 8GB RAM? I'm running the governor with all 4 processor on performance, could that be a problem?
No, it's not a problem. I'm using RT kernel with 'performance' governor on one machine and desktop kernel on another. Both work well. It's hard to say something untl you get core dump or crash stack trace.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

Thanks for the great plugins. I've been trying the new limiter and find it introduces a lot of distortion when limiting. I suppose this may be deliberate, but I wonder if the limiter can be run without distortion. One basic use I have for a limiter is on the main out of my Ardour virtual instrument setup where I want to make sure the output does not go over 0 DB. I've used the Steve Harris Fast lookahead limiter for this up to now and it does a great job limiting and does not distort. I've tried your "Begrenzer" limiter and find with with "Boost" turned off there is distortion whenever the limiter is limiting, though the output is way below 0 DB. If Boost is turned on then there is less distortion (but still some), though in this case the output level exceeds 0 DB which defeats my purpose of using the limiter. I know some limiters are known for "coloring" so perhaps the distortion is intended. For my purposes a non-distorting limiter would be desirable.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

varpa wrote:Thanks for the great plugins. I've been trying the new limiter and find it introduces a lot of distortion when limiting. I suppose this may be deliberate, but I wonder if the limiter can be run without distortion. One basic use I have for a limiter is on the main out of my Ardour virtual instrument setup where I want to make sure the output does not go over 0 DB. I've used the Steve Harris Fast lookahead limiter for this up to now and it does a great job limiting and does not distort. I've tried your "Begrenzer" limiter and find with with "Boost" turned off there is distortion whenever the limiter is limiting, though the output is way below 0 DB. If Boost is turned on then there is less distortion (but still some), though in this case the output level exceeds 0 DB which defeats my purpose of using the limiter. I know some limiters are known for "coloring" so perhaps the distortion is intended. For my purposes a non-distorting limiter would be desirable.
Please could you explain what settings do you use? Can you record a sample before and after processing?
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I've attached 3 short recordings of the same audio, recorded with Ardour 5.5. The limiter was run in "Classic" mode with a threshold of -18.61 which is extreme, but which was done to highlight the distortion. Here are the files:
NoLimiter_range1.ogg => Limiter bypassed, showing undistorted sound.
LimiterNoBoost_range1.ogg => Limiter on with Boost button off
LimiterBoost_range1.ogg => Limiter on with Boost button off
Actually, I noticed the Ardour meter was originally set to K20, and when I set it to peak/RMS I saw that the limiter was doing a "brickwall" limiter. That is, with Boost off, the signal was limited to -18.61 Db, and with Boost on the signal stayed just below 0.
The the limiting works as expected, only that there is a lot of distortion, as you can hear.

Thanks for the help.
Attachments
LimiterBoost_range1.ogg
Limiter on with Boost button off
(93.72 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
LimiterNoBoost_range1.ogg
Limiter on with Boost button off
(92.7 KiB) Downloaded 40 times
NoLimiter_range1.ogg
Limiter bypassed, showing undistorted sound.
(81.16 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

varpa wrote: Actually, I noticed the Ardour meter was originally set to K20, and when I set it to peak/RMS I saw that the limiter was doing a "brickwall" limiter. That is, with Boost off, the signal was limited to -18.61 Db, and with Boost on the signal stayed just below 0.
OK, fine, one problem has gone.
varpa wrote:I've attached 3 short recordings of the same audio, recorded with Ardour 5.5. The limiter was run in "Classic" mode with a threshold of -18.61 which is extreme, but which was done to highlight the distortion.
The the limiting works as expected, only that there is a lot of distortion, as you can hear.
The ''Classic" mode means that limiter is working like a compressor with pre-delay. In some cases compressor can't properly handle signal to make it brick-walled. So limiter additionally controls compressor and forces it to increase reduction gain, and this causes distortion. All other modes are more intelligent and apply different polynomials to the gain curve that sound more soft. Please try them.
varpa
Established Member

Post by varpa »

I've tried some other modes and do find that they have less distortion than Classic. However, all still have some distortion. I could not distinguish much difference between the other modes, however. I've tried several other limiters (Steve Harris Fast Lookahead, Calf, Tracktion ) and actually most were pretty clean. I would say that that yours adds the most distortion,though some might consider this to be "character". I find that my original choice of Steve Harris Fast Lookahead is still the best for my purposes, i.e. adds little latency despite being lookahead, and has negligible distortion if you set the release time to several hundred ms. I don't mean to be critical of your work, it is much appreciated, I'm just reporting my experience.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

varpa wrote:I find that my original choice of Steve Harris Fast Lookahead is still the best for my purposes, i.e. adds little latency despite being lookahead, and has negligible distortion if you set the release time to several hundred ms. I don't mean to be critical of your work, it is much appreciated, I'm just reporting my experience.
Okay, think I'll work on other modes in the future. It is always possible to add new modes :).
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Did the names of the plugins get changed in this (or perhaps the previous) release?
Screenshot_20161230_083056.png
Screenshot_20161230_083056.png (148.73 KiB) Viewed 857 times
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

sysrqer wrote:Did the names of the plugins get changed in this (or perhaps the previous) release?
Yes, it was done in 1.0.16 release:
CHANGELOG.txt wrote: * Updated naming of LinuxVST .so files: all underscore characters are replaced by minuses.
That's strange that Renoise doesn't use VST ID to identify the plugin.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

sadko4u wrote:
sysrqer wrote:Did the names of the plugins get changed in this (or perhaps the previous) release?
Yes, it was done in 1.0.16 release:
CHANGELOG.txt wrote: * Updated naming of LinuxVST .so files: all underscore characters are replaced by minuses.
That's strange that Renoise doesn't use VST ID to identify the plugin.
Ah ok, thanks. I must have read over that at the time and not thought it had much relevance to me directly.
I could make a feature request for renoise, I know they are preparing a bug fix release. Is that all I would need to ask for, for VST ID to be used to identify plugins rather than filename?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

falkTX wrote:btw, unrelated, but the LSP plugins GUIs run in carla now :)
That's nice, Filipe!