[ANN] ZynAddSubFX 3.0.0 - Zyn-Fusion

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: [ANN] ZynAddSubFX 3.0.0 - Zyn-Fusion

Post by sysrqer »

glowrak guy wrote:Try renaming all your existing vst, .vst, lv2 and .lv2 folders, adjust your daw paths,
This shouldn't be necessary and honestly sounds ludicrous to expect users to do. It may work but it's a messy workaround.
glowrak guy wrote:make new empty folders, install the new zyn-fusion, and test like mad.
Which folders?
glowrak guy wrote:I think /usr/share data is safe.
I'm not so sure, look at the install script:

Code: Select all

echo "This install script:"
echo "  1. Removes old ZynAddSubFX installs"
echo "...ZynAddSubFX binaries"
rm -f /usr/bin/zynaddsubfx
rm -f /usr/local/bin/zynaddsubfx
rm -f /usr/bin/zyn-fusion
rm -f /usr/local/bin/zyn-fusion

echo "...ZynAddSubFX banks"
rm -rf /usr/share/zynaddsubfx/banks
rm -rf /usr/local/share/zynaddsubfx/banks

echo "...ZynAddSubFX vst"
rm -rf /usr/lib/vst/ZynAddSubFX.so
rm -rf /usr/lib64/vst/ZynAddSubFX.so
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/vst/ZynAddSubFX.so
rm -rf /usr/local/lib64/vst/ZynAddSubFX.so

echo "...ZynAddSubFX lv2"
rm -rf /usr/lib/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2
rm -rf /usr/lib64/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2
rm -rf /usr/lib/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2presets
rm -rf /usr/lib64/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2presets
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2
rm -rf /usr/local/lib64/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2
rm -rf /usr/local/lib/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2presets
rm -rf /usr/local/lib64/lv2/ZynAddSubFX.lv2presets
fundamental wrote: IIRC you should be able to cd into the extracted tarball and just run the zynaddsubfx binary there.
I got "error while loading shared libraries: libmxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" when trying that.
fundamental wrote:Alternatively you can put it in the install dir ( /opt/zyn-fusion ) and connect the zyn-fusion UI to any running zynaddsubfx instance (2.5.x+ for limited functionality, 3.0.x+ for full functionality).
Sorry, but I have no idea what you are talking about, how to connect to the UI from a running instance?
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

sysrqer wrote:I got "error while loading shared libraries: libmxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" when trying that.
install libmxml (sometimes called libmxml1) from your distribution's package manager and it should work.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

sysrqer wrote:
glowrak guy wrote:Try renaming all your existing vst, .vst, lv2 and .lv2 folders, adjust your daw paths,
This shouldn't be necessary and honestly sounds ludicrous to expect users to do. It may work but it's a messy workaround.
This advice is for testing -->significant<-- new plugins. Pretty obvious, if you
read slower. Zyn-fusion cant' delete what it can't find. You make empty new
/usr/lib/vst etc for testing, then revert later. All your zyn sounds
should be in one folder for vst, and one for lv2, if desired.

The tornado aftermath preset paths cited won't help musicians.

It's a trivia to uninstall and reinstall the old zyn with synaptic.
Trivial to replace it's sounds. You probably have more
than the new version anyway, if you're a serious zyn user,
and should rename the default bank in /opt/zyn-fusion,
and copy your better collection in it's place.
Good luck. Hurray for the weekend!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

A significant part of the original question was that I didn't want to mess with system files. And it is not that trivial to remove the packaged zynaddsubfx, I use kxstudio repos and removing this particular package is problematic because of the meta packages the repo uses.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

fundamental wrote: Per yoshimi working with the same sounds, that's becoming less true over time, though the difference isn't huge at the moment.
Curious. I'm not aware of any differences between Zyn 2.5.4 and Yoshi 1.4.x
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

Ok, just to understand things a bit better:

Will Zyn-Fusion completely replace ZynaddsubFX? Or is it only a non-gratis GUI for whatever version people have in their repos?

LMMS has a version of ZynaddsubFX in its DAW. Will this still exist or will it be removed?

Will ZynaddsubFX eventually be removed from the linux repos?

I imagine that Yoshimi is un-affected by these changes in ZynaddsubFX..

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

briandc wrote:Will Zyn-Fusion completely replace ZynaddsubFX?
Zyn-Fusion is the name for the combination of ZynAddSubFX's synthesis engine (GPLv2+) and the new UI (currently non-free, but this is *temporary*).
briandc wrote:Or is it only a non-gratis GUI for whatever version people have in their repos?
The UI is the only non-free component which during the fundraising period people can purchase copies of it.
The closed source fundraising period is temporary and the source will be released (in stages) over the coming months.
Eventually the license of the new UI will be a combination of GPL and MIT licensed code.
The hope is to raise funds to cover the cost of development of the UI as the majority of it was done during a multi-month period of fulltime work (on just the UI).
briandc wrote:LMMS has a version of ZynaddsubFX in its DAW. Will this still exist or will it be removed?
It will continue to exist and hopefully they'll be able to sync their internal version of Zyn with more recent versions when their developers have time to do so.
While the 3.0.0 release does proudly feature the new UI, the pre-existing fltk/ntk UI still works and it is packaged in the 3.0.0 tarball.
briandc wrote:Will ZynaddsubFX eventually be removed from the linux repos?
As ZynAddSubFX is free open source software I don't see any reason why it should be removed.
The full source needed to compile the Zyn without the new 3.0.0 UI is available (e.g. https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsubfx ).
The new UI does not link directly to ZynAddSubFX in any way, so the license is independent from the GPLv2+ license that ZynAddSubFX has and will continue to have.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
briandc
Established Member

Post by briandc »

fundamental wrote:
briandc wrote:Will Zyn-Fusion completely replace ZynaddsubFX?
Zyn-Fusion is the name for the combination of ZynAddSubFX's synthesis engine (GPLv2+) and the new UI (currently non-free, but this is *temporary*).
briandc wrote:Or is it only a non-gratis GUI for whatever version people have in their repos?
The UI is the only non-free component which during the fundraising period people can purchase copies of it.
The closed source fundraising period is temporary and the source will be released (in stages) over the coming months.
Eventually the license of the new UI will be a combination of GPL and MIT licensed code.
The hope is to raise funds to cover the cost of development of the UI as the majority of it was done during a multi-month period of fulltime work (on just the UI).
briandc wrote:LMMS has a version of ZynaddsubFX in its DAW. Will this still exist or will it be removed?
It will continue to exist and hopefully they'll be able to sync their internal version of Zyn with more recent versions when their developers have time to do so.
While the 3.0.0 release does proudly feature the new UI, the pre-existing fltk/ntk UI still works and it is packaged in the 3.0.0 tarball.
briandc wrote:Will ZynaddsubFX eventually be removed from the linux repos?
As ZynAddSubFX is free open source software I don't see any reason why it should be removed.
The full source needed to compile the Zyn without the new 3.0.0 UI is available (e.g. https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zynaddsubfx ).
The new UI does not link directly to ZynAddSubFX in any way, so the license is independent from the GPLv2+ license that ZynAddSubFX has and will continue to have.
Thanks for the clarifications. The new GUI looks really nice and I'm looking forward to trying it out! :)

brian
Have your PC your way: use linux!
My sound synthesis biome: http://www.linuxsynths.com
Javafant
Established Member

Post by Javafant »

This is awesome, great work! Any chance of publishing the sources for the demo video? I like dissecting things other people have made to learn from them :)
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

Javafant wrote:This is awesome, great work! Any chance of publishing the sources for the demo video? I like dissecting things other people have made to learn from them :)
If you're trying to get some of the files used to generate the song in the video, I'd recommend asking unfa about it. You might be able to get a response on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/unfa/zynthetic
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
Javafant
Established Member

Post by Javafant »

If you're trying to get some of the files used to generate the song in the video, I'd recommend asking unfa about it. You might be able to get a response on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/unfa/zynthetic
Thanks, I left a comment on soundcloud.
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Is there a log file that tells me why ZynAddSubFX segfaulted? I did have 3.0.0 but upgraded to 3.0.1 in Arch Linux (3.0.1-1). The crash appeared to be random, so there's no guarantee that I can reproduce the problem again. I have two standalone instances of ZynAddSubFX.

In Arch Linux running GNOME 3.22, I have three programs:

ZynAddSubFX
ZynAddSubF... (I believe it is Jack version...)
ZynAddSubF... (...and ALSA version)

I do have a feature suggestion, though. Is it possible to add an auto-save feature to get back to the last state that I'm in before the crash? Maybe as a backup file with number appended to file name?
Attachments
gnome_zasf.jpg
gnome_zasf.jpg (31.22 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.
Javafant
Established Member

Post by Javafant »

GraysonPeddie wrote:Is there a log file that tells me why ZynAddSubFX segfaulted? I did have 3.0.0 but upgraded to 3.0.1 in Arch Linux (3.0.1-1). The crash appeared to be random, so there's no guarantee that I can reproduce the problem again. I have two standalone instances of ZynAddSubFX.
I also experienced a few crashes using the VST in Renoise but I’m not able to reproduce them reliably. I’ll be happy to provide logs if they exist.
fundamental
Established Member

Post by fundamental »

GraysonPeddie wrote:Is there a log file that tells me why ZynAddSubFX segfaulted? I did have 3.0.0 but upgraded to 3.0.1 in Arch Linux (3.0.1-1). The crash appeared to be random, so there's no guarantee that I can reproduce the problem again. I have two standalone instances of ZynAddSubFX.
There's no logging mechanism on crash, though if you're able to replicate the issue gdb + a core file is sufficient to get a pretty useful backtrace. Just running from the command prompt typically generates at least some hints as to why it crashed as well.

GraysonPeddie wrote:I do have a feature suggestion, though. Is it possible to add an auto-save feature to get back to the last state that I'm in before the crash? Maybe as a backup file with number appended to file name?
That feature is actually already implemented and working in 2.5.x versions. It looks like I mistakenly disabled it when merging in changes needed to get the windows build working.
This functionality should be re-enabled in the next release and the issue to track the needed UI functionality in zyn-fusion will be tracked at:
https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-fusi ... /issues/59
The fltk/ntk UI already has the UI stuff in place.
ZynAddSubFX maintainer
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Post by GraysonPeddie »

Thanks. I cannot reliably reproduce, as the crash can be quite random. I will use gdb before the crash happens.
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.