[ANN] LSP Plugins 1.0.14 released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

sysrqer
Established Member

Re: [ANN] LSP Plugins 1.0.14 released!

Post by sysrqer »

sadko4u wrote: How about such concept of meter?
That looks really good, I didn't think about the bipolar option but that makes perfect sense.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

on the compressor, you have 2 graph windows. The one on the left, is it necessary? I mean I'm still trying to figure out compressors and from the ones I've seen, not all have 2 graph windows.. maybe the meter can go there.. again, I don't know that much but the graph on left I don't even look at yet I kinda figured out how to compress with your compressor.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:The one on the left, is it necessary? I mean I'm still trying to figure out compressors and from the ones I've seen, not all have 2 graph windows.. maybe the meter can go there.. again, I don't know that much but the graph on left I don't even look at yet I kinda figured out how to compress with your compressor.
Yes, the graph on the left can show you how does compressor work in the time domain. This is sometimes helpful.
I think I should also implement meters that allow to display two parameters at one time. That will add some economy to the window space but will add another problem: how to display two numeric values at one time. I think this will be done in 1.0.16 release.
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

sadko4u wrote:how to display two numeric values at one time. I think this will be done in 1.0.16 release.
usually you can use different colors to differentiate them then put 1 axis label on the left and 1 axis label on the right with colors that match the plots. Dunno if that helps.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Ended up with such design:
Attachments
compressor-stereo.png
compressor-stereo.png (77.13 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

That looks great.
Aksjodgoi
Established Member

Post by Aksjodgoi »

funkmuscle wrote:That looks great.
and that works great!
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

The compressor is awesome!
Upward compression does wonders ony synth kicks!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

rghvdberg wrote:The compressor is awesome!
that was something I wanted to ask, what is upward compression and when do we use it?

also does the compressor now show the gain? I haven't upgrade yet because I usually wait for the announcement.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:that was something I wanted to ask, what is upward compression and when do we use it?
Upward compression is a technique of compression when silent sounds become louder and loud sounds do not change. It also allows to pump-in the RMS (energy) at the relatively slow compression ratio. Also by applying upward compression on percussion instruments you may really make them sounding like 'kicking ass'.

You also may read about upward compression here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
funkmuscle wrote:also does the compressor now show the gain? I haven't upgrade yet because I usually wait for the announcement.
Compressor will show the gain in 1.0.16 release. Also there will be other tasty plugins implemented. The estimated release is 30th november (the start of KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2016 - http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2016/).
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

funkmuscle wrote:
rghvdberg wrote:The compressor is awesome!
that was something I wanted to ask, what is upward compression and when do we use it?

also does the compressor now show the gain? I haven't upgrade yet because I usually wait for the announcement.
Upward compression, as I understand it, make everything below threshold louder.
Now come to think of it, maybe it was just a placebo effect on my kick, maybe everything was just louder. Louder = better ;-)

The compressor does not show gain yet.

Edit - there was a reply, didn't notice ;-)
So no placebo effect because the "kick ass" thing is precisely what happened to the kick :-)

btw, nice graphics in the Ardour mixer strip ..
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:that was something I wanted to ask, what is upward compression and when do we use it?
Upward compression is a technique of compression when silent sounds become louder and loud sounds do not change. It also allows to pump-in the RMS (energy) at the relatively slow compression ratio. Also by applying upward compression on percussion instruments you may really make them sounding like 'kicking ass'.

You also may read about upward compression here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression
oh so it's like a parallel compression then.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

sadko4u wrote: Compressor will show the gain in 1.0.16 release. Also there will be other tasty plugins implemented. The estimated release is 30th november (the start of KVR Audio Developer Challenge 2016 - http://www.kvraudio.com/kvr-developer-challenge/2016/).
are you gonna release cross platform or linux only ?
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

funkmuscle wrote:oh so it's like a parallel compression then.
Not exactly. Parallel compression is addition of high compressed input signal to the original signal. Upward compression works more like multiplication (if the signal is below the threshold). So it sounds quite different.
rghvdberg wrote:are you gonna release cross platform or linux only ?
Currently no. There are couple of basic reasons that stop me to do this:
  • High dependency from GTK2. I'm already doing some work for migration to XLib + cairo but it is not included into builds.
  • Lack of licenses. Currently I have no Win/Mac licenses to perform tests. For about one year donations to the project still didn't cover sufficient amount of money to purchase licensed software/hardware.
  • The financial model of the project. I think if people have enough money to pay for MSWin or MacBook, they also can pay for plugin bundles. Linux users will still get them for free. Maybe such policy will form a small stimulus for migrating from Win/Mac to Linux.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sadko4u wrote: [*]The financial model of the project. I think if people have enough money to pay for MSWin or MacBook, they also can pay for plugin bundles. Linux users will still get them for free. Maybe such policy will form a small stimulus for migrating from Win/Mac to Linux.[/list]
I don't want this to turn into a debate but
I love this answer. Years ago in forums, I use to ask WIN/Mac users who used Linux plugins that were ported to their platform to join in the quest to get the devs of free Win/Mac to port to Linux and received answers like 'why don't you use a real OS like Mac or Win?' That did anger me because they were all over Linux audio forum or Linux devs sites begging. Hydrogen and LMMS are examples where these users were found. The insult came from Win/Mac devs forums not Hydrogen or LMMS..
Ever since then (and yes I know, if we port to Win/Mac that's more devs working on that plugin), I get a bit upset seeing a dev for Linux port to Win/Mac. It always seem like from then on the 2 big platforms get more of the attention and my answer when asking that dev is that they have more users. :(
I'm not a dev so I can't tell how it feels to know folks want what I've made and great if you can port it I guess. I just think it would be great if those Win/mac users would back us Linux users up a bit and ask those devs to develop Linux versions too.