Ardour 5

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Re: Ardour 5

Post by Luc »

Loop is not working for me.

I activate it, play it and it plays twice only.

There is a silly workaround. Hit play, enable loop and wait until it plays for the second time. When it is playing the second time, disable and reenable loop. When it begins the third time, disable and reenable again. I can sustain a loop like that, but it will stop if I stop disabling and reenabling it, which of course is ludicrous.

Have they changed anything in the loop mode?
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Loop seems to be working ok for me.
Maybe try a fresh project and with clean/new preferences?
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Luc wrote:Loop is not working for me.

I activate it, play it and it plays twice only.

There is a silly workaround. Hit play, enable loop and wait until it plays for the second time. When it is playing the second time, disable and reenable loop. When it begins the third time, disable and reenable again. I can sustain a loop like that, but it will stop if I stop disabling and reenabling it, which of course is ludicrous.

Have they changed anything in the loop mode?
Did you enable jack transport ?
http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=4168
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I think Ardour has 'got over the hump' with this release. I'd bet most musicians will be able to do what they need, recording-wise, with whats offered in A5 already so considering this, plus its availability for Windows now, should lead to Ardour gaining significantly more users and hence more developers now it has matured to this stage. I can't wait to see how good it will be in, say, another 5 years time! It could become as well known and useful (to musicians) as other open source champs such as Firefox, VLC and mpv.

That's one of the coolest things about open source software. If Ardour's core developers both (it has many more than two devs but it is two guys who do most of the work currently) died on a bus tomorrow, Ardour is already popular enough that you can guarantee someone with the necessary skills would take over the project. You don't have that guarantee with non open source software like REAPER, ProTools, Logic , Ableton etc where the company could decide to call it quits at any time and you'd have to hope the final version carries on working indefinitely.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

I'm so happy that they changed how automation is added when create a point on the line, it used to keep the default value at the beginning of the timeline and then slope to the point you added, which is hardly ever a desired outcome. Now the first point you create sets the value at the start of the timeline too.
And the pin connections is amazing, not only does it make it so much easier to sidechain but (I think) it should be possible to create parallel processing chains.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.
sadko4u
Established Member

Post by sadko4u »

Wow, they're too intensive with bug-fixing releases. I've just installed 5.1 yesterday :).
LSP (Linux Studio Plugins) Developer and Maintainer.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

FaTony wrote:
ssj71 wrote:Harrison is promoting open source while still being able to run a business.
You're saying this like it's impossible to run business using only free software.
Why would Harrison give away their printed circuit boards that made them so popular in the mixing consoles world (Paul Simon, M. Jackson. Supertramp, etc...) You want it ? Then go and reverse-engineer their printed circuit boards. Their plugins are also about that. Have you noticed that their plugins are usign the same user interface as their very expensive MPC5 160-faders film consoles ? It might be more than just the UI. As well as their version of Ardour, Mixbus, and especially Mixbus 32C which incorporates their famed 32C channel strips based on their consoles.

You can make a business using Open Source software, I know very well. Although for every market you need an edge that makes it so the rich neighbour will not start a same business tomorrow using your ideas, the ideas you have worked so hard for, the ones that assures you a living. For instance, sound generation is a big one. When you have the algorithms that can produce very nice sounds, and I mean in a professionbal way, not as emulations of C64 beeps and variations thereof, you would not necessarily want to give them away. Hence, there are no Open Source synths that can rivalize with the commercial ones available for the Linux platform. Some are nice, but they simply cannot compete on the levels of expression, complexity and nuances.

And this is all good for Open Source in return. Ardour is a prime example of such a fruitful collaboration.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

Since this thread has kind of already run its course, I'm jumping on this OT diversion.
FaTony wrote:
ssj71 wrote:Harrison is promoting open source while still being able to run a business.
You're saying this like it's impossible to run business using only free software.

Yes, actually I think its either impossible or at least a viable model has yet to be found. Every business that makes open source software gets the bulk of its income from a separate source. Those that are selling only OSS are more like charities, running only due to the passion of the developers, not because it's financially sustainable. Its not that it should be that way, its just that it is.

jonetsu wrote: ... For instance, sound generation is a big one. When you have the algorithms that can produce very nice sounds, and I mean in a professionbal way, not as emulations of C64 beeps and variations thereof, you would not necessarily want to give them away. Hence, there are no Open Source synths that can rivalize with the commercial ones available for the Linux platform. Some are nice, but they simply cannot compete on the levels of expression, complexity and nuances.
I'd say zynaddsubfx is a definite counter-example :) But in general perhaps this is true.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
emarsk
Established Member

Post by emarsk »

Regarding running a business based on free software, I think this not-so-old post is highly relevant:
Ardour and Money, 2014 edition.

So, if Ardour found a way to have an even more fruitful collaboration with Harrison via the demo plug-ins, well, that's good news for all of us.

And about the guarantee that if the developers stopped working on Ardour, someone else would pick up the project: no, there's no such guarantee, open source or not. If someone has enough passion and skill and will and time to work on Ardour, (s)he can do that already, there's no need to wait for a bus accident.
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
chaocrator
Established Member

Post by chaocrator »

ssj71 wrote:
jonetsu wrote: ... For instance, sound generation is a big one. When you have the algorithms that can produce very nice sounds, and I mean in a professionbal way, not as emulations of C64 beeps and variations thereof, you would not necessarily want to give them away. Hence, there are no Open Source synths that can rivalize with the commercial ones available for the Linux platform. Some are nice, but they simply cannot compete on the levels of expression, complexity and nuances.
I'd say zynaddsubfx is a definite counter-example :) But in general perhaps this is true.
ZASFX is excellent, but too complex for commercial success. it just does not conform any conventional concepts of „user friendly“.
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

chaocrator wrote:ZASFX is excellent, but too complex for commercial success. it just does not conform any conventional concepts of „user friendly“.
You think that Zynaddsubfx is more complex than ridiculously popular u-He or Rob Papen stuff? That doesn't make any sense. Have you per chance mistaken Zynaddsubfx for something else?
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

Zyn & Yoshi are only as complicated as you want them to be.
There are hundreds of high quality instrument patches if you just want to play sounds, and if you want to edit them you can go just as deep as you want to. I know some people only ever change the effects.
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Luc wrote:You think that Zynaddsubfx is more complex than ridiculously popular u-He or Rob Papen stuff? That doesn't make any sense. Have you per chance mistaken Zynaddsubfx for something else?
First of all, I did make a note to revisit Yoshimi (probably, instead of Zynaddsubfx) soon.

From last time (years ago) I used Zynaddsubfx I must concur that it comes across as complex. Maybe the perceived complexity has to do with how the UI is structured. For instance if you compare with Bazille, which I think would be fair, Bazille is complex indeed, but the user interface makes it inviting. That might be the thing. The perceived complexity. If you compare with ACE, then ACE is even more inviting. It might be with things such as the right font, the right spacing between elements, etc... It might just be about perception than actuall complexity.