Linux REAPER works!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

ubuntuuser
Established Member

Re: Linux REAPER works!

Post by ubuntuuser »

glowrak guy wrote:Thanks for sharing the details! Did you discover these from error messages?
Log files? Windows installer logs? Reading 'between the lines'? Programming knowledge?

Any user level methods used would be nice wiki fodder.
Cheers
Well, I am a programmer but this is mostly about dealing with Wine and using the Carla vst.

I've been testing some things with the Linux native version and Carla and Wine (and Kontakt) were just one of those things.
Last edited by ubuntuuser on Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

GMaq wrote:Lol,

Let me get this straight...

You guys are NOT using the Windows version of Reaper so you can use Carla to run WindowsVST's on the Linux version of Reaper... when the Windows version of reaper runs just fine in Wine...? :lol:

BTW I don't know what the expected behavior of the panning knobs is, they work with latest libSwell but they are very erratic to mouse input
The Linux version is native to Linux as the OSX version is native to OSX and as the Windows version is native to Windows.

Same goes for Ardour and Tracktion and Bitwig etc and their OS native versions.

Wine can run Windows Reaper on Linux but it's running another operating system version through layers.

Linux native Reaper is a Linux app and so is Carla and Carla can use Wine to load some Windows vst's, but the focus is on using the native OS version of Reaper on that operating system rather than using another OS version of Reaper through Wine layers.

There are quite a few Linux native vst's around now and using them with maybe the occasional Windows vst via Carla (and lv2 via Carla) might be the way to go for some.

A user could have Linux native Reaper and Wine Windows Reaper set up and bounce between them if they wanted to.

A user could maybe run both Windows Ardour using Wine and Linux native Ardour on Linux as well.

A user could run the Windows Reaper version on OSX via Wine.

Whatever.

The Linux native version uses GDK and is a compiled Linux native app and connects directly to Jack.

The updates are against the 534 Reaper Linux version, so that version should be used together with the latest libswell from the WDL github.

For anyone who doesn't know

download the 534 version of Linux Reaper (do a search for Landoleet/dev)

download WDL from github (do a search for WDL github Justin)

change into the swell directory and make GDK3=1 or make GDK2=1

copy the libswell.so to where the Reaper binary program is.
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

New 535 version is out (and libswell as well).

libswell might need to be compiled for someones individual system, but in most cases it should be ok.

If anyone doesn't know, Linux Reaper doesn't autoconnect to Jack inputs and outputs, so something like QJackCtl connections needs to be used to connect the ins and outs.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I tried the latest Linux reaper dev release yesterday. The U-he plugins UIs still don't work (at least Zebra(lette) and Podolski don't work yet) but Loomer's Aspect does work now, GUI included! :) Yes, I'm aware of the hack osxmidi created to allow more plugin UIs to work but I'm holding on for stuff to work without such hacks.

Interest from the REAPER community and Justin (its dev) in the Linux port seems to have picked up in the last couple of weeks. Good stuff!
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

danboid wrote:I tried the latest Linux reaper dev release yesterday. The U-he plugins UIs still don't work (at least Zebra(lette) and Podolski don't work yet) but Loomer's Aspect does work now, GUI included! :) Yes, I'm aware of the hack osxmidi created to allow more plugin UIs to work but I'm holding on for stuff to work without such hacks.

Interest from the REAPER community and Justin (its dev) in the Linux port seems to have picked up in the last couple of weeks. Good stuff!
The u-he (and most other plugins) do work for others, but it might be system dependent and might require making libswell on that system, maybe.

That's one of the advantages of libswell (it handles the GUI, mouse, keyboard etc), that it can be compiled for whatever system and maybe limit incompatibilities.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

ubuntuuser wrote:
danboid wrote:I tried the latest Linux reaper dev release yesterday. The U-he plugins UIs still don't work (at least Zebra(lette) and Podolski don't work yet) but Loomer's Aspect does work now, GUI included! :) Yes, I'm aware of the hack osxmidi created to allow more plugin UIs to work but I'm holding on for stuff to work without such hacks.

The u-he (and most other plugins) do work for others, but it might be system dependent and might require making libswell on that system, maybe.

That's one of the advantages of libswell (it handles the GUI, mouse, keyboard etc), that it can be compiled for whatever system and maybe limit incompatibilities.
Arch user here, self-built libswell. libswell gets built afresh from git when you install REAPER via the AUR. I modified the PKGBUILD to install yesterdays release.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Finally got around to installing gmac's .deb of Reaper 5.34

I made it an .rpm using alien, installed on a 64 bit system with kernel 4.8.12,
and tharrr sheee beeee!!!! Reaper at work with linux vsts.
I loaded up U-he's TyrellN6, Beatzille, Hive, and ACE, gui's fine, docked and undocked them,
loaded presets...all went well...almost

Zebra2 gui didn't open...grrrr...well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad for the first session :wink:
Thanks gmac for making that debian package! Tomorrow I'll give it some test hours.
Cheers
ubuntuuser
Established Member

Post by ubuntuuser »

danboid wrote:
ubuntuuser wrote:

Arch user here, self-built libswell. libswell gets built afresh from git when you install REAPER via the AUR. I modified the PKGBUILD to install yesterdays release.
Could be a library or something.

Maybe try the GDK2 version of libswell.

Maybe the plugin code needs some fixes to handle different systems.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

glowrak guy wrote:Finally got around to installing gmac's .deb of Reaper 5.34

I made it an .rpm using alien, installed on a 64 bit system with kernel 4.8.12,
and tharrr sheee beeee!!!! Reaper at work with linux vsts.
I loaded up U-he's TyrellN6, Beatzille, Hive, and ACE, gui's fine, docked and undocked them,
loaded presets...all went well...almost

Zebra2 gui didn't open...grrrr...well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad for the first session :wink:
Thanks gmac for making that debian package! Tomorrow I'll give it some test hours.
Cheers
Updated here with self-built libSwell: http://www.bandshed.net/packages/reaper ... _amd64.deb
*NOTE these are for testing only with no guarantees, they just assemble the necessary parts and place them in /opt.
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

"*NOTE these are for testing only with no guarantees, they just assemble the necessary parts and place them in /opt."

Not a bad secret recipe!

I think the Canadian translation of Reapers guarantee is roughly:

'Hang on babeeee, we goin for a RIDE!!!!'

Looking forward to testing your new .deb.
Cheers
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Gmac's reaper 535 .deb! Booyahhhhh!!!

For Zebra2 gui to work, I had to load it from the VST section,
not the Instruments section, or the VSTi3 section. At the moment, I have
ACE, Bazille, Discovery Pro, Hive, Protoverb, TyrellN6, TripleCheese, and Zebra2
all loaded in reaper 5.35, dockable, scalable, gui's working, and daring the cpu,
while idling at 8.6% in qjackctl

This on pclinuxos, kernel 4.8.12, old intel motherboard video chip,
4 core, 8 threads i7@ 3.4ghz

I see good times ahead!
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

New update from Justin Frankel on the pre-release REAPER forum:

"Just updated to 5.351. One of the updates includes support for realtime thread scheduling -- if JACK is set to use realtime, then REAPER will automatically prioritize its threads just lower than JACK's priority. The logic to handle this is in swell.cpp/SetThreadPriority().

There have also been numerous other minor (but meaningful) fixes in SWELL-generic lately..."

Back to the landoleet server for the latest :)
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

There's been a 5.352 built on Jessie and a new libSwell built on Jessie, as some people uing older Linuxes were not able to launch the Stretch-built versions anymore. So if you run into problems, try the 5.352 version. The 5.351 version was working fine for me on KDE neon (ubuntu 16.04 based) with the 4.8 lowlatency kernel. I expect the update is for those on Jessie or Ubunntu 14.04 based installs.
eric71
Established Member

Post by eric71 »

More specifically regarding the update to 5.352:

v5.352
- linux x86_64 now compiled with gcc 4.9 again
- VST3 GUI support using "X11EmbedWindowID"