Linux REAPER works!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Jack Winter
Established Member

Re: Linux REAPER works!

Post by Jack Winter »

Happy that fixes the issue, and thanks for testing!
Reaper/KDE/Archlinux. i7-2600k/16GB + i7-4700HQ/16GB, RME Multiface/Babyface, Behringer X32, WA273-EQ, 2 x WA-412, ADL-600, Tegeler TRC, etc 8) For REAPER on Linux information: https://wiki.cockos.com/wiki/index.php/REAPER_for_Linux
vth
Established Member

Post by vth »

When trying out the latest beta on Ubuntu 18.04 on a hidpi display with UI scaling set to 200%, the fonts are very blurry.

A cropped screenshot of About REAPER -> Changelog:

The same text copied to LibreOffice Writer using the same font and colours. Apart from the atrocious kerning it looks normal (as in, just about how it would look in any other app):

I'm not a Reaper user so I haven't tried playing with any settings.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

I'm not a Reaper user...
and I'm not a reaper developer, so I have no idea how it actually works...

but, the screenshot looks like the font rendered at 'normal' resolution, then the resulting (bitmap) upscaled by 2X (I guess just by a bilinear interpolation). In LibreOffice writer you are actually rendering the fonts at higher resolution. That's a different (unrelated) issue to the one I was experiencing, and could be OS specific in the way hidpi is handled (in general hidpi support, especially with DAWs and plug-ins, is a confusing mess on Windows, I don't expect its any better on Linux).
JustinFrankel

Post by JustinFrankel »

vth wrote:When trying out the latest beta on Ubuntu 18.04 on a hidpi display with UI scaling set to 200%, the fonts are very blurry.
Hello!

For now you can do this as a workaround:

1) Open your ~/.config/REAPER/reaper.ini, find the line that says "ui_scale=1", and change that to "ui_scale=2".
2) run REAPER from a terminal using:
GDK_SCALE=1 /path/to/reaper/reaper5
3) Install this theme: https://landoleet.org/dev/Default_5.0_h ... erThemeZip

Hope this helps!

(Edit: In a future build step 2 will be unnecessary, we can have it automatically disable X11 scaling if ui_scale is set to something other than 1)
vth
Established Member

Post by vth »

Thanks for the workaround! It indeed fixes the fonts. Everything looks nice and crisp now.
JustinFrankel

Post by JustinFrankel »

5.94pre8 on the pre-release site should handle all of the hidpi issues automatically now (though you'll want to install the hidpi theme unless you like your panels really small!).
windowsrefund
Established Member

Post by windowsrefund »

I was curious, not that I'd ever install non-free software. Had to take a look and noticed their latest release is code-named "Impeach Already". So basically, we're talking about a piece of freedom-restricting software produced by a handful of communists. Uhm, yea...
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

windowsrefund wrote:I was curious, not that I'd ever install non-free software. Had to take a look and noticed their latest release is code-named "Impeach Already". So basically, we're talking about a piece of freedom-restricting software produced by a handful of communists. Uhm, yea...
Commercial software is not freedom-restricting, AFAIT.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

windowsrefund wrote:I was curious, not that I'd ever install non-free software. Had to take a look and noticed their latest release is code-named "Impeach Already". So basically, we're talking about a piece of freedom-restricting software produced by a handful of communists. Uhm, yea...
You what?
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

I'm really glad that a native version of Reaper is finally coming to Linux, and that the development team are so responsive. Real freedom is about choice and if you don't want to install or use commercial software, you don't have to. But at least it's there if you do.
gotterbild

Post by gotterbild »

Hello everyone!

It's great that Reaper works in Linux and actually is very stable. But I've stuck into a bug that kind of blocks my work.

My issue is some third-party VST plugins don't make any sound. They don't show any error messages. Their GUI looks OK, it even looks like sound is going into as meters jump as expected with sound going in. But there's no sound going out.

Example. I have recorded a guitar. I hit play, I hear the recorder guitar and it sounds fine. I add a Klanghelm MJUCjr compressor on the track - and in place of guiter I hear silence. I bypass the compressor - sound is there. I unbypass - silence. Again, GUI of MJUCjr looks fine, I can turn knobs, meters in the compressor jump with guitar sound. But sound is absent.

It is not happening to all plugins. For example, TAL Reverb 4 works perfectly. 95% of VSTi work perfectly. All stock Reaper plugins work perfectly (JS included). It happens only with some third-party VST plugins.

VSTs that behave like this:
Klanghelm: DC1A3, MJUCjr, IVGI2 (all of which I love)
Airwindows: Channel4, Transdesk, IronOxide5

VSTs are bridged via Airwave. My system is 64 bit and I made sure all plugins are 64 bit.

My OS is Ubuntu 19.10. Device selected in Reaper is PulseAudio.

Did anyone experience this and/or fixed it? My bet it is issue with Reaper or with Airwave. Maybe I should try Carla for VST bridge.

Thanks!
khz
Established Member

Post by khz »

gotterbild wrote:Device selected in Reaper is PulseAudio.
I would rather take ALSA or jackd. Pulseaudio is not so good for a ~DAW/... .

>> Threads in Forum : REAPER for Linux https://forum.cockos.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52 <<
. . . FZ - Does humor belongs in Music?
. . GNU/LINUX@AUDIO ~ /Wiki $ Howto.Info && GNU/Linux Debian installing >> Linux Audio Workstation LAW
  • I don't care about the freedom of speech because I have nothing to say.