[ANN] Qtractor 0.6.7 - The Lepton Acid beta release!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

rncbc
Established Member

Re: [ANN] Qtractor 0.6.7 - The Lepton Acid beta release!

Post by rncbc »

danboid wrote:What is a dummy VST plugin? I presume its a different thing from a VST plugin that contains sub-plugins but maybe I'm wrong? Is a sub-plugin a dummy plugin?

How can we scan for and detect dummy plugins or plugins that may cause issues when we disable the dummy plugin scanning?

Will you not officially support sub-plugins in qtractor?
a dummy-plugin is kind of a a stub for each one of the library shared objects files (.so) that are found across the search path scan; for each library file that is found, it makes it a generic so called "dummy-plugin" instance filename, each one faking 1 MIDI input and stereo (2 channels) audio inputs/outputs .

this dummy scan is/was the safest way to scan for VST plugins that doesn't cope with actual open/load and close/unload in quick succession (aka. real non-dummy scan process); historically, many JUCE based VSTs were prone to crash and lock-up the host that eg. doesn't open their GUI editor immediately on load, something that qtractor doesn't do ever, especially while scanning on discovery--this might not be an issue any more for most recent JUCE-plugin builds, but it takes just one old leftover still around to doom and compromise it all.

now, VST-shell (sub-)plugins can only be discovered if its library object (.so) is actually loaded up and gone through its run-time programmatic interface, something that is simply skipped while on a dummy-scan, as explained before.

besides, the dummy-scan is just an user safety option rather than an official stance against VST sub-plugins or whatever.

hth.
cheers
schivmeister
Established Member

Post by schivmeister »

funkmuscle wrote:
danboid wrote:funkmuscle:

Thanks for the notice! I've uninstalled my qt5 build and installed the latest repo build which is working fine. I can't believe it took so long to get into the Arch repos! ;)

I've been noticing that lately with audio programs.. It's like if the Arch devs don't want folks using it for audio.. I know I'm worng but it feels like it because they use to be the first to have stuff in the repos. :(
I hope no-one minds this little bump now but I thought I should bring some sort of a closure here. Firstly, late updates to audio stuff are entirely my fault (and lately, also speps'). My machine broke more than a year ago and RL got in the way, and so on so forth. But really, I have no excuse since I volunteered. My activity should get better now as I finally moved to x64 (!).

Lastly, the qt4/5 issue is due to qt5 being a default. I must have not propagated the changes required since the repository packages are built in chroots (and no-one has reported a build failure for the official package). This was addressed at http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/753

Cheers!
Professor: Music is not a science, my son. It's an art.
Student: But art is science.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

schivmeister wrote:
funkmuscle wrote:
danboid wrote:funkmuscle:

Thanks for the notice! I've uninstalled my qt5 build and installed the latest repo build which is working fine. I can't believe it took so long to get into the Arch repos! ;)

I've been noticing that lately with audio programs.. It's like if the Arch devs don't want folks using it for audio.. I know I'm worng but it feels like it because they use to be the first to have stuff in the repos. :(
I hope no-one minds this little bump now but I thought I should bring some sort of a closure here. Firstly, late updates to audio stuff are entirely my fault (and lately, also speps'). My machine broke more than a year ago and RL got in the way, and so on so forth. But really, I have no excuse since I volunteered. My activity should get better now as I finally moved to x64 (!).

Lastly, the qt4/5 issue is due to qt5 being a default. I must have not propagated the changes required since the repository packages are built in chroots (and no-one has reported a build failure for the official package). This was addressed at http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/753

Cheers!
shiv, you back! I thought you and speps stopped using Arch and we were screwed. Glad you're back!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The procedure for building qtr under Arch now goes something like this:

Code: Select all

cd qtractor-git/
export ac_qmake=/usr/bin/qmake-qt4 \
         ac_moc=/usr/bin/moc-qt4 \
         ac_uic=/usr/bin/uic-qt4 \
         ac_lupdate=/usr/bin/lupdate-qt4 \
         ac_lrelease=/usr/bin/lrelease-qt4 \
         QMAKE=qmake-qt4
make -f Makefile.git
sed -i 's/ac_qtdirs=.*/ac_qtdirs="qt4"/' configure
./configure --prefix=/usr
make install
qtr builds and installs fine like that but with these warnings:

Code: Select all

g++ -c -pipe -I/usr/include/suil-0 -I/usr/include/lilv-0 -I/usr/include/sratom-0 -I/usr/include/sord-0 -I/usr/include/serd-0 -msse -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DDATADIR="/usr/share" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -Ivestige -Ilv2 -I.moc -I.ui -o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackForm.o .moc/moc_qtractorTrackForm.cpp
/usr/lib/qt4/bin/rcc -name qtractor qtractor.qrc -o qrc_qtractor.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -I/usr/include/suil-0 -I/usr/include/lilv-0 -I/usr/include/sratom-0 -I/usr/include/sord-0 -I/usr/include/serd-0 -msse -mfpmath=sse -ffast-math -march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DDATADIR="/usr/share" -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_XML_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtXml -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/include/qt4 -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -Ivestige -Ilv2 -I.moc -I.ui -o .obj/qrc_qtractor.o qrc_qtractor.cpp
In file included from qrc_qtractor.cpp:9:0:
qrc_qtractor.cpp:3975:44: warning: ‘qInitResources_qtractor__init_variable__’ defined but not used [-Wunused-variable]
 Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION(QT_MANGLE_NAMESPACE(qInitResources_qtractor))
                                            ^
/usr/include/qt4/QtCore/qglobal.h:939:21: note: in definition of macro ‘Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION0’
    static const int AFUNC ## __init_variable__ = AFUNC();
                     ^
qrc_qtractor.cpp:3975:1: note: in expansion of macro ‘Q_CONSTRUCTOR_FUNCTION’
 ^
qrc_qtractor.cpp:3975:24: note: in expansion of macro ‘QT_MANGLE_NAMESPACE’
                        ^
g++ -Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro -Wl,-O1 -o qtractor .obj/qtractor.o .obj/qtractorAudioBuffer.o .obj/qtractorAudioClip.o .obj/qtractorAudioConnect.o .obj/qtractorAudioEngine.o .obj/qtractorAudioFile.o .obj/qtractorAudioListView.o .obj/qtractorAudioMadFile.o .obj/qtractorAudioMeter.o .obj/qtractorAudioMonitor.o .obj/qtractorAudioPeak.o .obj/qtractorAudioSndFile.o .obj/qtractorAudioVorbisFile.o .obj/qtractorClip.o .obj/qtractorClipCommand.o .obj/qtractorClipFadeFunctor.o .obj/qtractorClipSelect.o .obj/qtractorCommand.o .obj/qtractorConnect.o .obj/qtractorConnections.o .obj/qtractorDocument.o .obj/qtractorCurve.o .obj/qtractorCurveCommand.o .obj/qtractorCurveFile.o .obj/qtractorCurveSelect.o .obj/qtractorDssiPlugin.o .obj/qtractorEngine.o .obj/qtractorEngineCommand.o .obj/qtractorFileList.o .obj/qtractorFileListView.o .obj/qtractorFiles.o .obj/qtractorInsertPlugin.o .obj/qtractorInstrument.o .obj/qtractorLadspaPlugin.o .obj/qtractorLv2Plugin.o .obj/qtractorMessageList.o .obj/qtractorMessages.o .obj/qtractorMeter.o .obj/qtractorMidiBuffer.o .obj/qtractorMidiClip.o .obj/qtractorMidiConnect.o .obj/qtractorMidiControl.o .obj/qtractorMidiControlCommand.o .obj/qtractorMidiControlObserver.o .obj/qtractorMidiCursor.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditor.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditCommand.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditEvent.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditList.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditSelect.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditTime.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditView.o .obj/qtractorMidiEngine.o .obj/qtractorMidiEventList.o .obj/qtractorMidiFile.o .obj/qtractorMidiFileTempo.o .obj/qtractorMidiListView.o .obj/qtractorMidiMeter.o .obj/qtractorMidiMonitor.o .obj/qtractorMidiRpn.o .obj/qtractorMidiSequence.o .obj/qtractorMidiThumbView.o .obj/qtractorMidiTimer.o .obj/qtractorMixer.o .obj/qtractorMmcEvent.o .obj/qtractorNsmClient.o .obj/qtractorObserver.o .obj/qtractorObserverWidget.o .obj/qtractorOptions.o .obj/qtractorPlugin.o .obj/qtractorPluginCommand.o .obj/qtractorPluginListView.o .obj/qtractorRubberBand.o .obj/qtractorScrollView.o .obj/qtractorSession.o .obj/qtractorSessionCommand.o .obj/qtractorSessionCursor.o .obj/qtractorSessionDocument.o .obj/qtractorSpinBox.o .obj/qtractorThumbView.o .obj/qtractorTimeScale.o .obj/qtractorTimeScaleCommand.o .obj/qtractorTimeStretch.o .obj/qtractorTimeStretcher.o .obj/qtractorTrack.o .obj/qtractorTrackButton.o .obj/qtractorTrackCommand.o .obj/qtractorTrackList.o .obj/qtractorTrackTime.o .obj/qtractorTrackView.o .obj/qtractorTracks.o .obj/qtractorVstPlugin.o .obj/qtractorZipFile.o .obj/qtractorBusForm.o .obj/qtractorClipForm.o .obj/qtractorConnectForm.o .obj/qtractorEditRangeForm.o .obj/qtractorExportForm.o .obj/qtractorInstrumentForm.o .obj/qtractorMainForm.o .obj/qtractorMidiControlForm.o .obj/qtractorMidiControlObserverForm.o .obj/qtractorMidiEditorForm.o .obj/qtractorMidiSysexForm.o .obj/qtractorMidiToolsForm.o .obj/qtractorOptionsForm.o .obj/qtractorPasteRepeatForm.o .obj/qtractorPluginForm.o .obj/qtractorPluginSelectForm.o .obj/qtractorSessionForm.o .obj/qtractorShortcutForm.o .obj/qtractorTakeRangeForm.o .obj/qtractorTempoAdjustForm.o .obj/qtractorTimeScaleForm.o .obj/qtractorTrackForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorAudioEngine.o .obj/moc_qtractorAudioListView.o .obj/moc_qtractorAudioMeter.o .obj/moc_qtractorAudioPeak.o .obj/moc_qtractorCommand.o .obj/moc_qtractorConnect.o .obj/moc_qtractorConnections.o .obj/moc_qtractorCurve.o .obj/moc_qtractorFileListView.o .obj/moc_qtractorFiles.o .obj/moc_qtractorMessages.o .obj/moc_qtractorMeter.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiControl.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditor.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditEvent.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditList.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditTime.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditView.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEngine.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEventList.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiListView.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiMeter.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiThumbView.o .obj/moc_qtractorMixer.o .obj/moc_qtractorNsmClient.o .obj/moc_qtractorObserverWidget.o .obj/moc_qtractorPluginListView.o .obj/moc_qtractorScrollView.o .obj/moc_qtractorSpinBox.o .obj/moc_qtractorThumbView.o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackButton.o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackList.o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackTime.o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackView.o .obj/moc_qtractorTracks.o .obj/moc_qtractorBusForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorClipForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorConnectForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorEditRangeForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorExportForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorInstrumentForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMainForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiControlForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiControlObserverForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiEditorForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiSysexForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorMidiToolsForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorOptionsForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorPasteRepeatForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorPluginForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorPluginSelectForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorSessionForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorShortcutForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorTakeRangeForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorTempoAdjustForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorTimeScaleForm.o .obj/moc_qtractorTrackForm.o .obj/qrc_qtractor.o    -L/usr/lib -L/usr/lib64 -L/usr/lib -L/usr/local/lib -ljack -lasound -lsndfile -logg -lvorbis -lvorbisenc -lvorbisfile -lmad -lsamplerate -lrubberband -llo -lz -llilv-0 -ldl -lsratom-0 -lsord-0 -lserd-0 -lsuil-0 -lX11 -lQtXml -lQtGui -lQtCore -lpthread 
make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/dan/src/qtractor-git/src'
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/dan/src/qtractor-git'
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I've just rebuilt the same git version under Arch but with debug enabled and I didn't get those warnings I mentioned in my previous post.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

No comment from RNCBC yet?

I hope he's ok? :|