10 band graphical EQ with professional metering for linux

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

linuxdsp
Established Member

10 band graphical EQ with professional metering for linux

Post by linuxdsp »

Linux users might be interested in this graphical EQ which I developed, and is distributed by my company, for Linux (and Windows / Mac)

http://www.overtonedsp.co.uk/download/download_af210/
  • Realtime FFT Display
  • Analogue modelled filters - correctly replicate the equivalent analogue filter response, including equvialent gain at Nyquist, for all filter types, without requiring CPU intensive or
    latency inducing techniques. For the technically minded, this also equates to being able to set the filter frequency beyond the Nyquist limit for some filter types.
  • Zero latency filters.
  • PPM Type I & II, digital dBFS and VU meters pre / post EQ.
  • Glitch-free filter enable / disable and morphing between types.
  • Glitch-free Interpolated filter adjustment.
  • Freq / Gain auto-lock: [ Shift ] + drag to automatically lock out accidental frequency or gain changes while adjusting filters.
  • linuxVST (Ardour 4 compatible).
  • Windows / Mac VST and Mac AudioUnit for cross-platform session compatibility (with suitable host applications, such as Ardour 4)
Free demo available for Windows, Mac and Linux.
dsreyes1014
Established Member

Re: 10 band graphical EQ with professional metering for linu

Post by dsreyes1014 »

Thanks linuxdsp again. As always this product is top notch and well worth it.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Looks fantastic, congratulations on the release. I would suggest adding mid/side processing at some point, it seems like the only obvious thing missing from making it truly great.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

I would suggest adding mid/side processing at some point
As with all the plug-ins, development is on-going and evolving, so there are plans for things such as split processing for left and right, mid / sides, auto-listen, auto-gain etc etc, but for a small company, the reality is we need to get a product out there, earning its keep before we devote significant resources / time to extra functionality - which is why there have been a succession of updates recently. (It turns out, unsurprisingly, that making complex audio software which actually works properly is very expensive - you need the right tools - and mathcad licenses etc - or even just good old fashioned pen and paper - are not free.. ).
However, as it stands now, I think it provides more comprehensive features than most if not all other EQ's currently on linux (to my knowledge the filter technology alone is a significant advance over anything else for linux - I'm not aware of anything else for linux which does this) and as such, I hope it's enjoyed by linux audio users.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

If I'm wrong then I stand corrected, but as far as I know that doesn't provide filters which you can set beyond the theoretical Nyquist limit, nor necessarily with the correct equivalent analogue gain at Nyquist - at zero latency for all filter types without internal upsampling (no matter what the UI might tell you). And supporting LV2 has got nothing to do with it - I don't develop for LV2 because it doesn't make sense to do so for the current range of products, it makes slightly more sense to develop for VST on linux (but not much). That is all.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

linuxdsp wrote:And supporting LV2 has got nothing to do with it - I don't develop for LV2 because it doesn't make sense to do so for the current range of products,
I guess you get falktx wrong here, the MOD, is a hardware LV2 host, which provide a Cloud like feature, were as well commercial developers could sell there plugs, in LV2 format truly, so, it could become of some interest for your company to re-thing about your decision about drop LV2 support.

http://portalmod.com/faq
On the road again.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@tramp: We've certainly had discussions about MOD with the developers, I don't know if you're one of them or involved in the project personally, but I indicated in those discussions that I have no problem with supporting MOD or any other product, and if LV2 is what it uses, and there might be more valid reasons for that - than e.g. LV2 on desktop linux - then I don't have a problem with developing to whatever API it uses (if it provides the necessary functionality for the plug-ins). The issue with LV2 for commercial plug-ins for linux (on the desktop) is that it makes no sense to spend extra (scarce) resources developing for (what is effectively) a linux-only format, when almost all pro-audio applications for linux on the PC also support VST. It means we can make a plug-in for Windows, Mac and Linux, and it will work on all those platforms. If I built an LV2, it would work in Mixbus / Ardour - that's about it on other OS.

@falkTX: I think the plug-in you refer to is one of fons' plug-ins? - to be clear, I have great respect for his work, he stands out as one of the few open source developers in linux audio who really understands this stuff, and has a lot of knowledge of the subject - but I don't think it provides quite the same things that my plug-in offers. I'm just making something which I hope people will find useful, a 'turn-key' solution with minimal dependencies - if people like it, we'll do more stuff, if not then we have to acknowledge that the majority of linux users find free options adequate for their needs.