Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

barbouze
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Post by barbouze »

Hi rockhopper!
I had a blast trying Shuriken today! With its powerful features and nice UI it has easily earned a spot in my set of audio tools :D

Thanks a lot!
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Greetings,

Just a quick note to say that a fresh git pull builds and runs perfectly on Fedora 19 x86_64, with a locally built aubio (also from git sources).

Very cool program !Like barbouze, I'm having a blast working with it, and I haven't got past a simple drum loop.

Perhaps you should package it with an advisory "Warning! Big fun ahead! Proceed at your own risk!" :)

Thanks for the fine software.

Best,

dp
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Thanks for the nice comments everyone :)

I had a little free time today to work on copy 'n' paste. I'll try and get that finished off next weekend and then put out a release. I know there's still a bunch of features waiting to be implemented but I feel that the program has substancially improved since the last release and a fair amount of time has passed as well!
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Copy 'n' paste now complete and pushed to GitHub along with a couple of bug fixes.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

i just checked it out and it seems to be working fine! (i didn't get to check audio though, i'm rearranging the studio and the soundcard wasn't plugged in yet)

cut and paste is really cool!!! i've been waiting ages for this!

my new studio setup should be better for making a video too. just let me know when you want to release.

ewan
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

OK, good news and bad news...

The good news is that zero-crossing detection has been added to Shuriken. It's an option when finding onsets/beats, plus slice points now have a context menu which allows you to move the slice point to the next/previous zero-crossing. The help doc has also been updated.

The bad news is that adding zero-crossing detection has highlighted the fact that the waveform and/or slice point drawing routine isn't as accurate as it should be. The zero-crossing detection routine is fine, I've checked it's output in a debugger. Unfortunately, the slice points don't always appear to be positioned on a zero-crossing even though they actually are. :oops:

I don't think there's a simple fix to this issue. If there's no strong objections, rather than waiting till everything is "perfect" I'd like to put out a release within the next week or two and then put out a update to fix this issue later.
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Nice! As long as the audio result is correct and you don't zoom to see individual sample values, it is hard to see there is something wrongly displayed :P
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

zero crossing detection is really great! keyboard shortcuts would be nice though,

as long as the zero crossings are detected properly, a bit of sloppiness in the display is not a showstopper.

i'm looking forward to the release! things are coming along nicely!
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Keyboard shortcuts for moving slice points to next/previous zero-crossing have been added (N and P respectively). Recent Projects menu now added too!

Also, I was mistaken that there was an issue with the waveform not being drawn accurately. The problem was that when zoomed in to sample detail level the values of each sample are plotted about 1cm apart and the line joining the values sometimes crosses the center line between samples. It's therefore sometimes impossible for the slice point to be placed exactly where the waveform crosses the center line. I've now made the slice points snap to where the samples are plotted when zoomed in.

OK, unless anyone finds a show-stopping bug this is it... Shuriken 0.5 is imminent! :D
barbouze
Established Member

Post by barbouze »

Congratulations! :D
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »