Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

RockHopper
Established Member

Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Post by RockHopper »

New release of Shuriken out now!

https://rock-hopper.github.io/shuriken

Packages are available for Debian Squeeze and Wheezy, and Ubuntu Precise, Trusty, and Utopic.

As always please leave feedback, or donate a £1 to say thanks! :)
RockHopper
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer 0.4

Post by RockHopper »

stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

Thanks. Good work.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

thanks!

slice/unslice is fantastic!

i've been using recycle on an old win98 pc since i need midi sample dump/program creation for my akai S1000. (absolutly nothing exists on linux for this.)

shuriken is so much nicer.

ewan.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Thanks guys!
motosega wrote: i've been using recycle on an old win98 pc since i need midi sample dump/program creation for my akai S1000. (absolutly nothing exists on linux for this.)
Just stumbled upon this: http://www.lsnl.jp/~ohsaki/software/aka ... index.html. It's very old (1998) but might still work?
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

thanks, i saw that, it probably works,its works on files on disk so bitrot should be mimimal. but unfortunatly i don't have a scsi interface on my computer. scsi/usb interfaces are like gold dust, but i will get one eventualy.

i'll probably have more luck finding something i can run under wine.or maybe an emulator. i'm looking into this at the moment but it's a lot of googling. hopefully i'll be able to find a command line tool that i can build a script around.

the disk format for the akai s900 thru the S1000 up till the s6000 samplers is available on the net, but it looks like lot of work to put together into something usable. http://mda.smartelectronix.com/akai/akaiinfo.htm

being able to export akai .p program files and .s samples would be a really great feature for me, but i don't see thousands of other old akai users out there using linux, it seems most people are keeping an old win 98 computer especially for their samplers. and unfortunatly libsndfile dosen't support .s samples

i've been having lots of fun with my oldschool samplers, i'm making more beats than ever!

ewan.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Maybe you've seen this already but just in case: http://sourceforge.net/projects/akaiutil. It's a lot more recent than akaitools - the last update was in 2012. The "latest download" button is actually pointing to an old version, the latest is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/akaiuti ... z/download

Once downloaded and unzipped, compiling is easy as opening a terminal in the directory and typing "make".

From the readme it looks like it's possible to format a zip disk in Akai S1000 format and transfer files to/from the disk, converting wav files to Akai samples.

A second-hand zip drive and SCSI interface might be an affordable option depending on your budget. Of course, you'd need to make sure you bought the right interface card to match the connector for the zip drive as there's a whole bunch of different types of SCSI ports.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

i tried them both out and they both work!
i only tested on iso images so far. but it should be ok with a physical drive too. i should try with a loop mounted hd image.

i also found a project called abrowse http://abrowse.sourceforge.net/ which is a browser for akai format cdroms. it dosent work 100% though on some cdroms the directory is corrupt.

all this is because i got my cdrom drive working yesterday.

i'm on my way to the fleamarket where hopefully i can find a scsi zip drive and a centronics to 25pin scsi cable.
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

hope i'm not going too far off topic with my samplers,

anyway, i managed to find a scsi zip drive at the fleamarket today ,it was still in the box and i only paid 8€. i'll still need to find a usb zip drive for my linux computer though.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Added NSM support to Shuriken and updated the build script to check for dependencies before compiling. In the process I discovered a nasty bug, and this one is definitely not my fault!

If you have a recent version of the AMD proprietary graphics driver you're going to run into trouble with session management + Shuriken. When Shuriken receives the SIGTERM Unix signal it's supposed to quit gracefully. Unfortunately, if you've got AMD Catalyst 14.12 or 14.9 installed Shuriken dies before getting a chance to clean up (or prompt to save changes if using LADISH or nsm-proxy). You can get around this bug by closing Shuriken manually.
motosega wrote:hope i'm not going too far off topic with my samplers
It's cool :)
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Hi guys, made a little progress on the GUI. It's a bit different from warhead's designs though I did borrow some ideas from them. Have a look at the screenshots and let me know what you think...
shuriken2.png
shuriken2.png (59.58 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
shuriken3.png
shuriken3.png (91.4 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
shuriken4.png
shuriken4.png (89.66 KiB) Viewed 2033 times
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

RockHopper wrote:If you have a recent version of the AMD proprietary graphics driver you're going to run into trouble with session management + Shuriken. When Shuriken receives the SIGTERM Unix signal it's supposed to quit gracefully. Unfortunately, if you've got AMD Catalyst 14.12 or 14.9 installed Shuriken dies before getting a chance to clean up (or prompt to save changes if using LADISH or nsm-proxy). You can get around this bug by closing Shuriken manually.
After further investigation it turns out this is only a problem with Qt 4.6. I updated the AMD driver in Ubuntu Trusty (which has Qt 4.8 ) to the latest version from the AMD website and there were absolutely no issues with sending the SIGTERM signal to Shuriken.

Have also been trying out different colour schemes in Shuriken...
Shuriken.png
Shuriken.png (75.74 KiB) Viewed 2019 times
motosega
Established Member

Post by motosega »

the new gui is looking interesting, just remember us folks with small screens!

i've been playing with the S1000/S3000 akai tools, it looks like its totally possible to create drive images full of samples from wav files under linux. there dosent seem to be a way of creating programs though. when i've got some concrete results i'll start bugging you to add program export :D
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

motosega wrote:just remember us folks with small screens!
This layout seems to scale up and down quite well and will fit on a 800 x 600 screen.
motosega wrote:i've been playing with the S1000/S3000 akai tools, it looks like its totally possible to create drive images full of samples from wav files under linux.
Sounds promising :)
motosega wrote:there dosent seem to be a way of creating programs though. when i've got some concrete results i'll start bugging you to add program export :D
:lol: Figured as much!
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

Pushed the new GUI to the git repo. The interface should be reasonably consistent across different DEs, themes, and Qt versions (tested on Qt 4.8/KDE, Qt 4.6/XFCE, and Qt 4.6/LXDE).

Qt 4.8, KDE:
shuriken_4.8.png
shuriken_4.8.png (128.94 KiB) Viewed 2008 times
Qt 4.6, XFCE:
shuriken_4.6.png
shuriken_4.6.png (98.65 KiB) Viewed 2008 times