Shuriken Beat Slicer

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

motosega
Established Member

Re: Shuriken Beat Slicer

Post by motosega »

hi rockhopper,

i gave it a quick try out and it all seems to be working as it should, i didn't give it a thourgh test though.

you're teasing me with the not yet implemented loop length box aren't you?

ewan
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

RockHopper wrote:Also, audio files are now opened using libsndfile directly, so hopefully that will solve some of the previously mentioned issues.
Indeed, it works now. I mean it loads my waves. Now I can go further and test, but first of all : thank you.
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »

More updates! It's now possible to calculate the BPM of the audio between the loop markers by specifying the length in bars/beats. Also, deleting audio slices is now possible.

There's a bug that causes the waveform to not be redrawn after applying normalisation/gain in Trusty, but after that's been fixed I'm going to mark this as a release and put out some debs. I know I haven't implemented all the features that have been requested so far, but Shuriken is already much less buggy and more useful than the first release, plus I really need to take a break for a little while!
headwar
Established Member

Post by headwar »

Hi Andrew,

Great work ! Shuriken's getting better and better ! The play head is a great improvement, and everything works better, and is easier. The looping works great too !

A few (constructive, hopefully) points :
- The cuts are not at zero-crossings. maybe it could be an option, like "No zero xing / Closest zero xing / previous zero xing / next zero Xing" which would slightly shift the cut position according to their title
- I believe it's impossible as of now to manually add a cut, which would be usefull for bass lines where sometimes the attacks are not strong enough to trigger the detection algorithm. It could either be a "manual add marker" or a "subslice this slice" option, the latter trying to find more subtle change between the markers of the selected slice.
- zooming at cursor (with the mouse wheel) would be *awesooooome* ;)

By the way, I'm still crossing my fingers for you to add quantization to Shuriken, seeing that every tool is already here : maybe in a different "panel" (in order to hide the slicing tools, to keep the interface clean, and hide the quantization tools for the cutting), after having cut the sound in slices, there could be a grid in the background of the wave, showing the user's selected BPM (and its 1/4 subdivision for 4/4 time signature), and the user could move the line between the slice to align it (with magnetization) to this grid. Rubber Band would then take care of the (obviously slight) stretching of each slice. You could even add an "auto" option which would automate the moving of the lines between the slices by magnetizing them to the closest 1/4 time.
It would reuse some fields already present and that would be shown in both slicing mode and quantization mode :
- the "new BPM" textfield (which could be renamed to "target BPM")
- the "time signature" textfields
- the "pitch correction" textfield and "stretch option" button

If (and I hope so) you're interested in working on quantization, I can (on your demand) create some detailed draft screens if it can help. I think we could improve the interface and make it cleaner.

Regards,
HW
headwar
Established Member

Post by headwar »

PS. Another feature request (sorry ! Can't stop playing with Shuriken :D) that would be necessary for quantization and would be great to have anyway, is the ability to export the "rejoined" wave. Let's say I have sliced a wave, and moved some slices around, I'd like to be able to save the result as a wave to bring back in my DAW. Thanks !
RockHopper
Established Member

Post by RockHopper »