Linux music as a major player...

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

glowrak guy
Established Member

Re: Linux music as a major player...

Post by glowrak guy »

The synth requires the OS. Dealing with some flaws in the OS is a good thing,
helps more people, local or otherwise, to enjoy linux. It's not like a few people
using a remastered (customized) iso, is going to bring Red Hat and Ubuntu to their knees.
The big names need to keep learning that 'the community', is actually thousands
of communities, each with freedom to do their own thing, and share it as desired.
tatch
Established Member

Post by tatch »

glowrak guy wrote:The synth requires the OS. Dealing with some flaws in the OS is a good thing,
helps more people, local or otherwise, to enjoy linux. It's not like a few people
using a remastered (customized) iso, is going to bring Red Hat and Ubuntu to their knees.
The big names need to keep learning that 'the community', is actually thousands
of communities, each with freedom to do their own thing, and share it as desired.
Most distros I've dealt with (besides more 'involved' distros like arch) typically try to support the largest number of hardware configurations OOTB to begin with. If it's just to hand out to your friends then that's fine, but I don't see how creating a custom iso based on kxstudio with one or two tweaks that may or may not improve hardware support would make much of a difference. If your tweaks are 100% guaranteed to improve hardware support or fix 'flaws' then you should be submitting it to kxstudio. For example, if you have some packages you absolutely had to install for your soundcard to work then instead of rolling up a disc image and distributing that you should instead write up some quick instructions on how to get it to work. It's more "compatible" with other systems that way and helps more people than just those willing to install an entirely new system.
diizy
Established Member

Post by diizy »

I dunno. I agree with the above post, but...

On the other hand, I could see the usefulness in a respin of eg. KXStudio which would come with all the software needed to just "jump right in" into music production pre-installed. There could be an icon on the desktop labeled "Click here to make music". This respin could be a separate version or variant of the main KXStudio distro (not uncommon, many distros have variants with different desktop environments and such) and distributed on the same site. It would be a cool way to introduce people to Linux Audio, especially people who haven't used Linux before.
tramp
Established Member

Post by tramp »

diizy wrote:I dunno. I agree with the above post, but...

On the other hand, I could see the usefulness in a respin of eg. KXStudio which would come with all the software needed to just "jump right in" into music production pre-installed. There could be an icon on the desktop labeled "Click here to make music". This respin could be a separate version or variant of the main KXStudio distro (not uncommon, many distros have variants with different desktop environments and such) and distributed on the same site. It would be a cool way to introduce people to Linux Audio, especially people who haven't used Linux before.
You suprise me here, as KXStudio (ISO) is, a respin of Ubuntu, with exactly this gool. As I understand the KXStudio project, it is meant to "promote and distribute" the pro-audio tools (in binary format for simple usage to the users, or, as well, in source format, with the needed build scripts for the arch friends) to "any" distribution, but the ISO's are made for " just "jump right in" into music production".
I would say, if, someone belive he could do it better, join the project, instead spin your own.
On the road again.
ssj71
Established Member

Post by ssj71 »

tramp wrote: You suprise me here, as KXStudio (ISO) is, a respin of Ubuntu, with exactly this gool. As I understand the KXStudio project, it is meant to "promote and distribute" the pro-audio tools (in binary format for simple usage to the users, or, as well, in source format, with the needed build scripts for the arch friends) to "any" distribution, but the ISO's are made for " just "jump right in" into music production".
I would say, if, someone belive he could do it better, join the project, instead spin your own.
+1.
We're talking nonsense. Lets respin the audio-centric distros to be audio centric? They include visual stuff too, but I'm pretty sure only .1% of the time goes to that. The AVlinux "motto" is "install - create." And if you have a great idea of what would happen after you click the "here to make music" icon then go ahead and send it to KXStudio. Falktx (like most devs) doesn't like writing documentation, so if you are willing to, go ahead a contribute. The problem is there is such a breadth of workflows its hard to make a universal "start here." I'm sure improvements could be made in documentation and "workflow presets" so I'd love to hear suggestions. Just please don't go spinning off new distros flippantly.
_ssj71

music: https://soundcloud.com/ssj71
My plugins are Infamous! http://ssj71.github.io/infamousPlugins
I just want to get back to making music!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

The hardware issue boils down to 2 things essentially:

1. Hardware support patched into the kernel
2. Availability of firmware and special configs for hardware that needs it

In AV Linux we build our own custom kernels and try to keep up with new audio hardware patches to enhance support.. there is NO need for hardware respins of existing Multimedia Distributions there IS need of better kernel availability and firmware packaging to incorporate into those existing distros especially with such niche needs as Audio recording, To Linus and the mainline kernel developers that stuff will never be a high priority, supporting motherboard Intel HDA's, yes... supporting Pro Audio hardware, not likely. Thank heavens for the FFADO guys and ALSA devs and people like Clemens Ladisch who are absolutely integral to getting pro hardware support up the ladder..

Something like keeping up on hardware support and balancing that with stability is a huge job all in itself, I used to spend major amounts of time on kernels and firmware until an AVL user thankfully pitched in to do it... Just like we end-users often do not comprehend the amount of work that application developers go to, I also think something that is very misunderstood is the importance of the right kernel for Multimedia work..
Qualitymix
Established Member

Post by Qualitymix »

Speaking of the ALSA devs... do they push out updates very often? I would think something as integral as ALSA would have alot of people working on it, making it better.
timlepes
Established Member

Post by timlepes »

I think that supporting free media creation and access tools (recording software, video creation, authoring, digital publishing, web and streaming media) are in line with the spirit of free/libre open source ideals. Sharing code gives freedom to learn, tinker, and create for the techies. And creates tools that support real people, often with limited means such as schools in low income or third world countries. And the internet has fostered a communications and cultural sharing rennaisance of sorts. I am sure many in the FOSS community are likely to support the ideals of freedom of speech, and we have the creative commons inspired by FOSS ideals. Why not help put the tools in the hands of more people to create and share not only entertainment but more importantly to communicate important ideas and real, uncensored information. There are Linux distributions such as dynebolic geared toward digital activism. The dots are there. There needs to be a meme expressing that supporting the free and open creation of content on par with proprietary offerings is important in the larger scheme of things, will benefit the Linux and FOSS audio ecosystem, and is of common spirit with the Open Source world's ideals. And other commenters are correct. I believe that if you build it, they will come. It will only serve to grow our ecosystem. Large distros and audio hardware companies both would benefit if they worked together. Android is everywhere, even in cameras. Linux is growing in the auto and IVT industries, and many others. Why not pro audio and video? It has greater social impact than airplane movie screens.

/2bits
glowrak guy
Established Member

Post by glowrak guy »

Folks at booth 6520 in Winter NAMM, will be announcing a major breakthrough for
audio production on a large subset of Android 4.0 and newer devices. They are mentioning
latency down to 2 msec. Could be an interesting tech. They do well on iOS products already.
Hope some of the Android product works it way into the mainstream distros.

Or maybe Android IS the mainstream now :shock: :? 8)

Cheers