LADSPA Mixbus wrapper

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

Drumfix
Established Member

LADSPA Mixbus wrapper

Post by Drumfix »

Here the LADSPA wrapper to enable the use of the mixbus channel/bus/master as LADSPA plugins in other LADSPA hosts. Enjoy
Attachments
mixbus_wrapper.tgz
(19.56 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Re: LADSPA Mixbus wrapper

Post by Walnutcracker »

Thanks for this. I am having trouble with it though. Ardour segfaults when trying to start it up after installing the wrapper. After uninstalling it, Ardour once again starts up normally.

EDIT - I didn't read the readme. Note that you need to copy the file harrison_channelstrip.so from the mixbus installation to /usr/lib/ladspa. I didn't do this step. It is working now. Thank you very much for this
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

I have the channel strips working but i'm a bit confused about how to get the bus and master plugins working. I'm not sure what the pre and post plugins are supposed to do either. I read the readme but i'm still confused. When i add the pre or post plugins, it cuts out the sound.

Edit - i've noticed something strange. The channel strip always seems to work, the bus and master are acting odd. If i add a channel and add the bus plugins to it, it cuts off the sound to that channel. If i then add the master plugins to the master channel, sound starts coming through the channel strip, but gets cut off at the master channel. If i then delete the master plugins, the sound works ok and is successfully being processed by the bus plugin. It's the only way i can get it to work and is 100% reproducible.
Drumfix
Established Member

Post by Drumfix »

It is somewhat lengthy to explain but i try to.

Lets assume for now you use ardour as ladspa host.

Create a track with a channel + channel post.
Add a amplifier plugin as last plugin of the track and set it so that the output is fully silent.
Create a track with bus 1 pre, bus 1 and bus 1 post.
Add a amplifier plugin as last plugin of the track and set it so that the output is fully silent.
Add a track with the master pre, master and master post
Connect the outputs of the channel track to the inputs of the bus track
Connect the outputs of the bus track to the inputs of the master track
Assign the outputs of the master track to your hardware outputs
Add an audio sample to the channel track.
Make sure all plugins are activated.

Open the plugin window of the channel and activate the Master Bus Assign
You will hear the audio sample through the master channel
Deactivate the Master Bus Assign
You will not hear the audio sample through the master channel
Open the plugin window of the Bus and activate the Master Bus Assign
In the channel window activate the Bus 1 Assign
You will hear the audio sample, which is processed through the bus and forwarded to the master

The post are used to internally route what is activated by the xxx Assign buttons to the related pres.
The channel and bus posts also perform the panning, that you control with the pan contrl in the bus and channel window.
The master post is not strictly needed. I think it only calculates the meters that you see when you open the master post window.
Play around with activating the pres and post to get the picture.
Walnutcracker
Established Member

Post by Walnutcracker »

Thank you drumfix, that explained everything i was wanting to know. Thank you very much for the explaination and thank you very much for sharing the wrapper :)
studio32

Post by studio32 »

wow sounds like a great extension. So now you can use it in non-mixer etc. great job!