Bitwig 1.0 is out!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

JohannesTress
Established Member

Re: Bitwig 1.0 is out!

Post by JohannesTress »

Gaida alone is not comparable, in combination with Ardour it may be able to do more but by far not as convenient and intuitive as Bitwig.
Totally agree - but only if the bitwig-team gets midi controller work with linux. Right now there's no way using the power bitwig brings to linux without assignable Controllers...
When it comes to creating electronic music in a live situation on stage, there is -imho- nothing really intuitive working on the Linux-World. Giada isn't that intuitive unless one likes hacking on a notebook keyboard instead of a real haptic perceptible Controller (in fact I'm using it in my live-setup). For me that's the main reason why my rss-reader spits out a new controller interface on creating-digital-music twice a day.

Greetings
Johannes
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

I think that Linux version is still beta. There was a bug in handling properly jack but it seems to be corrected now. Same for midi. I think you can't compare Bitwig with Ardour, Qtractor, and others. The story is not the same. Behind Bitwig, you have a team, an investment, a commercial goal. This is not evil, AFAIK. It seems to be an excellent product. Should one buy it ? Why not... The same with Trackion (cheaper...)
On my side, I support KXstudio, I have donated for one year for Ardour, I bought many LinuxDsp plugins, I donated for Luppp, I'm not rich but I think linux software should be supported, free or not, free or not. The main reason I switched from Windows to Linux is Windows, Now I need essentially working software, this is my number 1 criteria. And actually, Ardour is still the best for me.
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

stanlea wrote:I think that Linux version is still beta.
The only real flaw, I can see as of now is the prblem with handling generic MIDI-devices connected to Alsa/Jack MIDI. This is indeed quite fat a bug for a program, that is made for electronic music production but I would be surprised, if this problem will not be solved before long.
A beta would not work as predictable and stable as Bitwig does in everything that actually works....
nostrum fungitur
dazastah
Established Member

Post by dazastah »

Bitwig is the one-stop suite with all you need on board that many people missed in Linux
My point isn't saying bitwig isn't great, it is great. My point is the model to make people aware of it's potential. Of course people are aware of it being released, but not of it's real potential.

I guess you could just let the cracked versions float around without taking any legal aid.(except some passive threatening emails)
That's the thing, why not have a almost non crippled version.. Then you at least have a better idea of the amount traffic you have interested in the product..

it's priced to high to sell from a perspective of impulse buying to the broader market..

The amount of people who will just keep the cracked version vs the ones who will buy it after testing the cracked version.. Especially when it is $400

The team at bitwig would have a better ratio if the price was reasonable

what are the things that abletons users wanted that bitwig offers? I'm not a ableton user, but the only thing i can think of is the fact it has the clip launcher and linear timeline view together. there are others, but i dont know.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

stanlea wrote: I'm not rich but I think linux software should be supported, free or not, free or not.
Yesssss! Couldn't agree more!!

The sad reality is you don't have to be rich to make a big difference in the Linux Audio development world, yet most people (who would be able to) still don't support... a few dollars here and there make a huge difference and the best thing is you ARE 'free' to decide which projects merit your support and how much support you give..
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

It appears Bitwig is still sorting out some stability issues as of 1.0.5 (for the Linux version at least). I get some random x-runs while switching between clips and it even freezes my entire system from time to time. Ever since I swiched to Solydx my system has been very stable. Other programs like tracktion and ardour have their little glitches now and then but never totally freeze up like that. It seems they are working on all of these issues so I think it'll be good before too long. Aside from that It's a cool and powerful program. I wouldn't say it's revolutionary but I think they did a good job combining a lot of ideas from other DAWs. The DSP stuff like the synths and eq's and effects don't have a lot of bells and whistles but seem to be of a very high quality.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Can anyone with Bitwig/Linux do me a favour? Does it do latency compensation?

How to test it:

- Have two tracks with the same contents (both audio or both softsynth)
- They should be perfectly in sync
- Add on ONE track one or more (instances of a) plugins that add some audible latency, e.g. autotalent
- See if the two tracks play still in sync
- Expert mode: use a softsynth track and its recorded audio signal as the two tracks

Other programs:
- Qtractor does no latency compensation at all.
- Rosegarden does it right with softsynth tracks but does it wrong with audio tracks (inserting plugins with audible latency in softsynth tracks pushes audio tracks out of sync because they don't get delayed).

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

a KVR post said it does
Bitwig William Huang: Good question! Bitwig comes with Plugin Delay Compensation. And what most people want to know: Yes, it also compensates the plugin delays for the automation as well as for the VST-timing.
33 minutes ago · Like · 6
but maybe I can check later tonight when I get home. Is there a vst that adds audible latency?
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Stupid me! I forgot that Bitwig Studio isn't able to load LADSPA- and LV2-plugins.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

JohannesTress
Established Member

Post by JohannesTress »

All of you who thought that the missing controller assignement was a bug in bitwig. It seems, that it's just a Problem within the presets.
This thread points out more information:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9&start=45

This script helps out, if you want to automate your Controllers. For me it works with AKAI MPCMini...

http://www.screendream.de/stuff/Bitwig/ ... icKeys.zip
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

I am just not getting my midi devices working with Bitwig. In the first releases I couldn't really get sound working with jack, but it got notes from my midi controller and played them until the alsa sound engine crashed.

Now I can get sound out with jack, but I'm not getting anything from my midi devices.

Any tips on how to get it working? If I try the autodetect feature it won't see anything.
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.
studio32

Post by studio32 »

Shouldn't a commercial software company like Bitwig is, not provide you the support? I would ask on their forums and I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

studio32 wrote:Shouldn't a commercial software company like Bitwig is, not provide you the support?
They most certainly should :)
studio32 wrote:I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
I think it's great that a company like Bitwig is taking Linux so seriously, and IMO Linux Musicians using Bitwig are more than welcome to share their experiences, ideas, troubles and solutions here. If there's lots of Bitwig active users here we could even open a dedicated subforum for them - though I'm not seeing that yet.

On the other hand, indeed I'm personally unlikely to put much effort in figuring out problems with Bitwig, and a reasonable part of that is due to its proprietary nature. There's certainly more people here who feel like that. That's no problem, we can peacefully co-exist ;).
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

studio32 wrote:... I doubt if a forum like this should spent a lot of time to give support for commercial apps.
Disagree++.

The last thing we need is more exclusivity.

That being said, Bitwig users will get the benefit of a much-expanded user base - and direct support from the devs - if they also use the BW forum on KVR.

Best,

dp
Excds
Established Member

Post by Excds »

I asked here since this is probably the easiest place to find answers. I've from time to time tried to see if the newer versions of the demo work, but there's always the possibility that someone else has managed to get stuff to work using a tweak.

If I can't get the basic things like midi input/output working, then I'm not entirely motivated to shell out for a license...
Ever noticed something?
Unix comes with compilers.
Windows comes with solitaire.