Tracktion5 has arrived

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

antiesen
Established Member

Re: Tracktion5 has arrived

Post by antiesen »

danboid wrote:Tips on registration appreciated.
Login in the main page (not in the linux part) - go to my account, on the right side
there is "register offline computer".
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

danboid, got to my account first and Add A License and choose linux and then click on the register offline and complete the form. You can download the file and just drag and drop it on to the main window when Tracktion is open. It took me ages to work out that you had to add a license although it seems quite obvious now. If that's not what you're stuck on then I don't know, that's all I had to do.

Another cool thing I noticed today is if you create a rack out of a ladspa plugin it gives the rack a wet/dry automatically (no routing necessary). This is something that has annoyed me with most of the ladspa plugins around, especially the Steve Harris ones. The built in fx are not bad at all either although strangely I did experience a crash wrapping a rack around some already on a track, but didn't get the same thing with any ladpsa plugins I tried. Will need to play with it.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Anyone tried LinuxDSP plugs with it? I was having some trouble with the GUI controls with the BlackEQ. LinuxDSP?
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

aprzekaz wrote:Anyone tried LinuxDSP plugs with it? I was having some trouble with the GUI controls with the BlackEQ. LinuxDSP?
Confirmed, on some plugs middle-mouse-wheel helps, but not on Black EQ.
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

aprzekaz wrote: Also my LinuxDSP BlackEQ VST loads but then the UI is just frozen i.e I can't move the little blobs around or add new ones.
Same problem here with LinuxDSP plugins. I reported this problem on KVR forums.
Last edited by stanlea on Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Yeah just tried the BlackEQ as well and can't move any nodes.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

sysrqer:

So are you saying you've registered T5 without handing over your card details (ie without paying for it) and without having a T4 license? How exactly?

When I click 'Add a license I get three options:

'Redeem discount license' - asks for a license code I don't have

'Upgrade my old license' - I don't have an old Trackion license

'I am brand new' - credit/debit card details please sir!

So where's the 'New, free Linux license' option you tracked down?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

The only Linux I see on the tracktion.com Register Form page are links to this:

http://www.tracktion.com/linux/

Which doesn't mention T5 yet.
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

Yes, I didn't give any payment options, I failed to complete that part when I first created an account. Then I just logged in and did as I said and it gave me an option for Linux version.

I see what you mean though, when I click on Add a License now I get the same screen you describe but that's not what I got before. I don't know then seems odd that I got one screen yesterday and today both of us are getting something else.

I really don't know why we would even need to go through all this, it's already closed source so what good does it do to jump through hoops to register it if there is no charge anyway? Why cripple users like this, it may be free software but some of us would surely donate, I certainly would, so they're essentially losing paying customers if we can't even register it.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Thats odd! It would seem a select few (like you sysrqer) clicked at the right time and got an advance license so you were one of the lucky few. I tried a few days ago and didn't see this other Linux option you mention, nor do I see anything now.

I hope they don't keep everyone else waiting much longer!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I can understand the devs wanting to get an idea of how many had installed the app but I'm sure they could achieve that without keeping the (non-free) Windows and Mac registration procedure.I'm sure it'd be trivial to ditch the restrictions on the Linux build alone.

Best not moan too much. We should be happy there is a Linux port at all, never mind for free when you have to pay for other platforms!
sysrqer
Established Member

Post by sysrqer »

That's true, I am very grateful they are supporting Linux at all so I'm not really moaning. I hope you can get it registered soon, maybe try emailing them or something (the kvr forum doesn't seem very active at all)?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I emailed Tracktion Software about the availability of T5 for Linux and I got this response, which I'm sure they won't mind me sharing if it cuts down on their email duties:
Thanks for getting in touch Dan - you have not missed it - we haven’t posted the T5 version for Linux quite yet

We will be posting it in the near future once we have finished the initial wave of bug fixes for the Mac/PC versions

Hope you enjoy it when we do :)
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

I have now registered T5 and yes, it is officially out for Linux now! James from Tracktion said:
I have been sick for the last few days and I found out this morning that Jules has in fact posted the T5 Linux build!
You can get a free T5 license from here

https://www.tracktion.com/account/signup/index/c/linux

(Linked at http://www.tracktion.com/linux/ under My Account -> Register )

Online registration didn't work for me so I needed to download the key file via the unlock software online page here

https://www.tracktion.com/account/unlock-offline

Copy/paste your machines number from the About page under Tracktion. When you've downloaded your keyfile just drag'n drop it into the Tracktion window to register it!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

me
Its a shame that we can't expect feature parity with the other versions yet - what are the main features missing under Linux?
A point already raised on multiple forums is why do we need to do this (obtain a key) for the Linux build when its free? There'd be much less troublesome methods of getting ideas about the apps usage, like maybe just a simple online heads up on first run or whatever.
Tracktion James
Some of the main features <missing in the Linux build> include one of our time stretch algorithms, video synch and some exporting capabilities
The reason the license system works like this is so we don’t have to have a different system from the other builds - again that would take considerable dev time etc