Tracktion 4 Linux open beta available

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

autostatic
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 4 Linux open beta avaiable

Post by autostatic »

If browsed the Settings window but couldn't find an option to switch it off. Probably overlooked something, I'll check again.
aprzekaz
Established Member

Re: Tracktion 4 Linux open beta available

Post by aprzekaz »

I got it working and it seems pretty cool. A bit different of a workflow. I can't register it tho probably because I got the Key on one computer and installed it on another. And my audio computer usually isn't connected to the internet. so I'll have to jump thru additional hoops to get it working right If I have the motivation to. I wasn't expecting it when i started out using Linux Audio but I find that trying and using all of the FOSS Audio programs is actually easier for the layperson like myself than the proprietary software. I suppose the credit goes to the awesome devs and packagers for this, as all I need to do is make a DVD put it in the computer and BAM everything is there and works. That hasn't been the case with the windows software I've tried. I always run into some headache trying to unlock it. But it's nice to see even more options coming to Linux.
stanlea
Established Member

Post by stanlea »

It works now.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

Has anyone been able to get any linuxVST plugins working in the latest release? Everything I've tried so far, loomer, TAL etc just fails during scanning with 'deactivated after failing to initialize' or some such message. The plugins work fine on the same machine (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) in Ardour3, energyXT, renoise etc. I don't know if they worked in the previous release because I was hit with the illegal instruction bug and couldn't start Tracktion at all.
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

@FalkTX: I think you're right, it seems broken to me. I had to remove my .config/Tracktion4/Tracktion-Settings file each time I tried to re-scan the plugins to be sure it had forced a genuine re-scan. It seems to me that it doesn't even find the main entry point into the plugin (seems also to happen with a simple gain - example - plugin from the VST SDK). Odd that it fails even with plugins built with JUCE.. :) I'll wait for an email reply from the developer(s)..
Last edited by linuxdsp on Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

linuxdsp wrote:Has anyone been able to get any linuxVST plugins working in the latest release?
Yes. I can insert any of my vsts (distrho and propietary) in tracks. openSUSE 12.3 x86_64
linuxdsp
Established Member

Post by linuxdsp »

Yes. I can insert any of my vsts (distrho and propietary) in tracks. openSUSE 12.3 x86_64
Well I guess that proves there isn't anything (fundamentally) wrong with the plugin code, e.g. it can work (and obviously they all work in other hosts). I still think there must be something wrong with Tracktion, I need to check again but I think I also had LADSPA plugins fail the same way. I've emailed the developer(s) so I'm hopeful there will be a response.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Hi Kott,

I'm working also with Suse, how could you install the .deb file?
This was made to end all partys - Einstürzende Neubauten 1985
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

antiesen wrote:Hi Kott,

I'm working also with Suse, how could you install the .deb file?
Hi. It can be converted using alien script, or you can simply extract .deb with midnight commander.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Big thanks for the hint. Must try when I'm back on my PC.
antiesen
Established Member

Post by antiesen »

Great, alien-script did it. could install on suse.
zettberlin
Established Member

Post by zettberlin »

Testing it since 3 days and given, that it is a beta, it works quite well.

I had it running for 6h on my Lenovo U410 (Intel CoreI5) with zero xruns under KDE, with VLC playing radio and FF youtubeing at the same time.

It crashes with some LADSPA-FX (C*-stuff, SWH and other do work OK). Native Linux-VST (MDA) work perfectly OK also.

But there are some more or less minor but annoying bugs also and Jack-integration is not perfect (new Jack-clients do not show up as in/outs for tracks).

First impression: interesting concept, good featureset (MIDI/Audiotracks with all important features) and outstanding performance but still some way to go...

BTW: to switch off the bubbles, have a look in the help-menu lower left corner ;-)
nostrum fungitur
aprzekaz
Established Member

Post by aprzekaz »

Seems that I still can't really use it because my computer is not always connected to the internet. I put in my password when I'm in a WiFi area to unlock it then when I go to my studio it asks for a password again.