Drum Sample set

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

benzene
Established Member

Drum Sample set

Post by benzene »

Hello all,

As promised, I have finished a new set of drum samples. I'm uncertain as to whether or not to create an actual h2kit so I thought this time I would just roll all of the ogg files together and let it go as is. I am sure there are plenty of howtos on making your own h2kits available.

Incidently, I've been toying with 64Studio a whole lot lately, so much so that my girlfriend now thinks I'm avoiding her. Sheesh. Anyway, my first youtube video is done using only linux software. I think it worked out pretty good.

Anyway, the new drum samples were recorded using Audacity, a nice shiny new Behringer mixer and 2 very nice identical condenser mics. All the samples are in stereo, 44.1k and are precision cut for timing, ogg format for size and clarity. The cymbals are Paiste Alpha and Zildjian K series. If the samples seem a bit longish it's because I was trying to leave them as raw as possible. The room sound worked well, imho.

All samples provided free as in beer, free as in speech. Drop me a note if you like.

Enjoy.

Ben

http://listen.to/benzene

ps. look for the file called h2-samples.tar.gz, it should be at the bottom of the front page.
Yeri
Established Member

Re: Drum Sample set

Post by Yeri »

Hi Benzene,

I've just picked up your samples.. thanks much for making them available :)
In case I finally build an hydrogen drumkit I'll let you know.. but I don't promise anything ;)
I'm currently making an hydrogen drumkit with the NDKFree samples (16 samples from each instrument at different strenghts).. although I haven't still finished the drumkit, I have good feelings with it. I plan to make it public at the hydrogen drumkits page.

Best,

Gerard.
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

HI Yeri -
I've just been working on this bash script that takes a lot of the work out of building
multi-layer drumkits for hydrogen - download it here:

http://www.garryo.org/export/makekit

Do let me know if you find it useful or if you find a bug etc.
there's not a lot of error checking in it, but its pretty straight forward.
this is what you do:

You create a new folder to hold the drumkit called "newkit", say.
"Newkit" should be the name you want the finished kit to have.

Inside "newkit" you create a new folder for each drum/instrument in the kit.
Name the instrument folders so they are listed in the order you
want them to appear in hydrogen, sorted by name.
01-kick, 02-snare etc works well enough.

Copy your drum layer samples to the appropriate instrument folders -
the layer samples should be named so that they are listed from the quietest to the loudest.
Most sample sets are named this way anyway.
Each layer gets an equal share of the volume range.

Then type in a terminal: makekit /full/path/to/newkit

( you already made makekit executable and somewhere in your PATH. )
and it will (hopefully) put newkit.h2drumkit into your home directory.
No files are deleted.
Its primitive and still some work but it does save a lot of time.

~GarryO
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

GarryO, I tried the script, it did build a kit but it mixed up the layers...ie: hit-pedal consist of the hat and some toms... all the way through the entire kit....
mauser
Established Member

Post by mauser »

Yeri wrote:Hi Benzene,

In case I finally build an hydrogen drumkit I'll let you know.. but I don't promise anything ;)
I'm currently making an hydrogen drumkit with the NDKFree samples (16 samples from each instrument at different strenghts)..
Even if you finish it - you're not allowed to distribute it. The license forbids it..
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

Are you sure you have everything in the right place before you run the script?
its easy to get it wrong - i've been there.

the directory structure should look like this:

newkit---
--- instrument-1
------- instrument-1-quietest
------ instrument-1-not-so-quietest
------ instrument-1-louder
------ instrument-1-loudest
---instrument-2
------ instrument-2-quietest
------ instrument-2-not-so-quietest
------ instrument-2-louder
------ instrument-2-loudest
---instrument-3
etc....

there should be no other files or folders in there.

G.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah... infact, now everykit I create with the samples from the newkit folder does the same thing. No matter if I use your script or through Hydrogen...
Actually it was 10 times faster through Hydrogen to set up... Do you know that you can load multiple files at once and use the auto velocity?
All I do is click loadlayer, select all the samples for that instrument, select auto-velocity, click open and bingo... all filled in. It took me 20 minutes faster than the script because of the folders to create, then load with samples, etc...

What I had to do was not use the samples in the folders to create the kit as for some reason, the script takes ownership of the folders so no matter how you create a kit, it uses the drum.xml the script created. I even delete that .xml but if I use the samples out of the folder, that .xml comes back.
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

yeah... infact, now everykit I create with the samples from the newkit folder does the same thing. No matter if I use your script or through Hydrogen...
strange! I wonder whats going on there.
I've built 4 kits with my script without a problem.
Do you know that you can load multiple files at once and use the auto velocity?
I knew you could load multiple samples, which i tried but it kept screwing the layer velocities.
I didn't know about the auto-velocity. I don't seem to have that.
I'm using 0.9.4beta3 - are you using a more recent svn version or am I being blind and daft?

~G.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I only use the svn version.... 1002 I think.... I will try the script from scratch again...
Yeri
Established Member

Post by Yeri »

HI Yeri -
I've just been working on this bash script that takes a lot of the work out of building
multi-layer drumkits for hydrogen - download it here:
It works perfectly for me.. thanks GarryO :) .. it actually saves a lot of time :D
Actually it was 10 times faster through Hydrogen to set up... Do you know that you can load multiple files at once and use the auto velocity?
Good to know about the auto-velocity tip.. however in hydrogen 0.9.3 (from debian testing) it isn't still included and for the moment I prefer to install packages from repositories than from sources if it is possible.. maybe in the future.
For the moment GarryO's script will do the job
mauser wrote:
Yeri wrote:Hi Benzene,

I'm currently making an hydrogen drumkit with the NDKFree samples (16 samples from each instrument at different strenghts)..
Even if you finish it - you're not allowed to distribute it. The license forbids it..
yes.. in the copyright it's specifically prohibited any form of electronic transmission other than downloading from the naturaldrum's site.. I don't understand why, but that's the way it is :roll: .. anyway with the GarryO script it is straightforward to build the kit.
Send me a PM if anyone interested in the kit has any problem building it

:twisted:

Gerard.
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

It works perfectly for me.. thanks GarryO :) .. it actually saves a lot of time :D
you're welcome. I'm glad you found it useful.
best wishes,
~G.