AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Discuss anything new and newsworthy! See http://planet.linuxaudio.org and https://libreav.org/news for more Linux Audio News!

Announcements of proprietary software may fit better in the Marketplace.

Moderators: raboof, MattKingUSA, khz

GMaq
Established Member

Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

OK got it, I give up on /opt and yes it didn't make sense to me that library files and executables were all in the same basket so the file locations you've shared make sense.. However I'm at a bit of a crossroads because it doesn't make sense to have both bridges on one system then at all, that's why one of my first questions was if you can run both LinVST and yabridge and if I understand you correctly you can only have one bridge per VST .dll.

To me the whole Windows VST support thing is kind of a peripheral concern and I'm really just doing it as a 'value add' since no other Linux Audio spins I'm aware of have it set up OOTB. My own philosophy is to use Linux plugins first and Windows VST plugins to fill in a few holes until Linux catches up, I'm personally not all that concerned (for my purposes) if every possible WinVST 2 (or 3) can work so if this afternoon yabridge supports 97% of potential VSTs of interest and LinVST supports 90%... how far do I want to go for a peripheral edge-case function? Maybe the next LinVST release will match or exceed yabridge and vice versa on and on. Obviously you both are doing excellent work and scratching an itch that exists and I'm not playing favourites.. In my little world one bridge is sufficient and I already have integrated LinVST to the point that even its '.so' files are pre-written on the ISO and one plugin scan and you are ready to rip, I've also done the docs for it. I'm glad to have had a good look at yabridge and if LinVST isn't fitting the bill for some AVL-MXE users I won't hesitate to recommend it as an option of course but as far as making a complete change over for a simple fresh ISO update my cautious conservative side of the brain says to stay the course for now..

Again thanks for taking time to answer my questions and for continuing the work on yabridge!
robbert-vdh
Established Member

Post by robbert-vdh »

GMaq wrote: Hi,

OK got it, I give up on /opt and yes it didn't make sense to me that library files and executables were all in the same basket so the file locations you've shared make sense.. However I'm at a bit of a crossroads because it doesn't make sense to have both bridges on one system then at all, that's why one of my first questions was if you can run both LinVST and yabridge and if I understand you correctly you can only have one bridge per VST .dll.

To me the whole Windows VST support thing is kind of a peripheral concern and I'm really just doing it as a 'value add' since no other Linux Audio spins I'm aware of have it set up OOTB. My own philosophy is to use Linux plugins first and Windows VST plugins to fill in a few holes until Linux catches up, I'm personally not all that concerned (for my purposes) if every possible WinVST 2 (or 3) can work so if this afternoon yabridge supports 97% of potential VSTs of interest and LinVST supports 90%... how far do I want to go for a peripheral edge-case function? Maybe the next LinVST release will match or exceed yabridge and vice versa on and on. Obviously you both are doing excellent work and scratching an itch that exists and I'm not playing favourites.. In my little world one bridge is sufficient and I already have integrated LinVST to the point that even its '.so' files are pre-written on the ISO and one plugin scan and you are ready to rip, I've also done the docs for it. I'm glad to have had a good look at yabridge and if LinVST isn't fitting the bill for some AVL-MXE users I won't hesitate to recommend it as an option of course but as far as making a complete change over for a simple fresh ISO update my cautious conservative side of the brain says to stay the course for now..

Again thanks for taking time to answer my questions and for continuing the work on yabridge!
Thanks for at least having taken a look at it! You're right, you can have both yabridge and LinVst installed on the same computer just standing by, but you'd have to choose between one or the other when actually using them. My personal preference of course also goes to using native software whenever possible. But when I can't, I don't like having to make compromises, and I want I want any non-native plugins to work as best as they can. That's the reason why I dedicated most of last year to developing yabridge. I'm really glad that Airwave and LinVst existed and I've used those for years, but the experience was never quite perfect, with crashes, unimplemented VST2 features, hanging Wine processes and plugin scans, plugin editors that wouldn't resize, and just general slowness with opening and removing plugins and interacting with their editors. And of course, there was also no real VST3 plugin bridging yet. So when COVID hit last year, I finally had the time to see if I could fix all of these things in LinVst while modernizing it a bit in the process. But it quickly became apparently that doing so would require almost a full rewrite. So that's why I set out to create yabridge, and with that the best, most native feeling plugin bridging experience I possibly could. The irony of it all is now that I've built something I'm really happy with I barely have time to actually make music, but such is the life of a developer I guess haha.

So once again, thanks a lot for having checked the project out, and if you do ever want to consider including yabridge in a non-maintenance AVL release then you know where to find me!
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

Dear Glenn,

For the next AVL release, would it be possible to add two plugins? Unfortunately I wasn´t able to make them work on AVL. According to the developers they were tested on ubuntu only. One is CHOW Analog tape model https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel and the other one is Crumar: https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Can´t wait for it, thanks a bunch! :D
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Rodney wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:23 pm Dear Glenn,

For the next AVL release, would it be possible to add two plugins? Unfortunately I wasn´t able to make them work on AVL. According to the developers they were tested on ubuntu only. One is CHOW Analog tape model https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel and the other one is Crumar: https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41

Can´t wait for it, thanks a bunch! :D
I can look into it but I'm trying to avoid getting into compiling more custom packages and Plugins than I already do..

If they mean they developed them on Ubuntu 20+ then it is probably a libc6 issue.. Ubuntu has a newer version of libc6 than the current Debian Stable does and that is a deep core system library that I can't just arbitrarily change. Plugin developers should always build their plugins on one version old LTS or 'oldstable' build environment to ensure maximum compatibility unfortunately many of them don't..
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Rodney wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:23 pm One is CHOW Analog tape model https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel and the other one is Crumar: https://www.crumar.it/?a=showproduct&b=41
I just took a look at both of these on Debian Bullseye.
The Crumar standalone worked OOTB once output was selected, didn't check with external keyboard though.
The TapeModel supplied a .deb file which threatened to install over 95MB and more than 50 dependencies, most of them -dev packages. Why a binary .deb would even need -dev files is a mystery so install aborted. Suggest you try Airwindows ToTape 5 or 6.
Kott
Established Member

Post by Kott »

sunrat wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 10:17 pm The TapeModel supplied a .deb file which threatened to install over 95MB and more than 50 dependencies, most of them -dev packages. Why a binary .deb would even need -dev files is a mystery so install aborted.

It shouldn't. You can post an issue on author's page: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... del/issues
Rodney
Established Member

Post by Rodney »

@sunrat thanks for checking it out :D @GMaq no problem at all, it´s not a big deal if those don´t end up in AVL, I just thought they were interesting plugins.

Thanks a bunch as always

Rodney
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

Hi.

Since I don't have yet the updated version of AVL-MXE, I post here. After I received the USB flash drive with the .iso file on it, I created a Live Boot USB Stick to boot the first time into AVL-MXE and to have a first look at it. This is already some weeks ago. Tonight I booted that Live Boot USB Stick again to install AVL-MXE to external USB hard drive.

When booting from that hard drive I get lots of BUG messages:
DSCF0078.JPG
DSCF0078.JPG (189.06 KiB) Viewed 5257 times
The conky also disappeard from the desktop. After installing Qtractor I got lots of error messages when scanning for VST plugins. Each time, when e.g. trying to install something like Qtractor and its missing LibSuil etc. I'm forced to enter the Root/Admin password.

Is that intended?
How to solve these bugs/errors?
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi!

Well it is certainly not 'intended', it appears to be something to do with your USB Ports and the RT Kernel. Can you tell me what is plugged into the USB Ports on your computer (besides the AVL-MXE key you are booting from)?

A Google shows this: https://www.google.com/search?client=fi ... reemptible

Pages of reports from all sorts of Distros relating the the RT Kernel, so your computer doesn't like the default RT Kernel, what I usually recommend is to install AVL-MXE and select and install a different optional Kernel like the AV Linux 'lowlatency' Kernel or the Liquorix Kernel.. See Page 25 of the User Manual for more details: http://bandshed.net/pdf/AVL-MXE-User-Manual.pdf
TAERSH
Established Member

Post by TAERSH »

There's only the Toshiba hard drive with AVL-MXE installed plus the receiver for my wireless Logitech mouse plugged into USB ports.
anahata
Established Member

SGFXI [Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!]

Post by anahata »

Has anyone got sgfxi working on this release?
I have an Nvidia card that's very slow with the Nouveau driver at 2560x1440. On the previous (pre- MX) AV Linux I used SGFXI to install proprietary Nvidia driver with low-latency kernel and it all worked fine.

Now, this is what happens when I try to run sgfxi:

Checking sgfxi versions.... Failed to aquire remote version data. Will try direct download instead.
Updating sgfxi now using the default server
ERROR: (198) The url/file: sgfxi
failed to download - wget error.
Exiting script now.

I have working internet connectivity - it's nothing as simple as that!
anahata
Established Member

Re: SGFXI [Re: AV Linux MX Edition Released!]

Post by anahata »

anahata wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 10:29 pm Now, this is what happens when I try to run sgfxi:

Checking sgfxi versions.... Failed to aquire remote version data. Will try direct download instead.
Updating sgfxi now using the default server
ERROR: (198) The url/file: sgfxi
failed to download - wget error.
Exiting script now.
Never mind, I found someone else on the MX-linux forum had the same problem and it was said to be a problem with sgfxi itself. I've downloaded a fresh copy and it's looking more promising :)
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

MX has a dedicated Nvidia driver installer and it is recommended to use that. It's in MX-Tools iirc.
anahata
Established Member

Post by anahata »

sunrat wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:54 pm MX has a dedicated Nvidia driver installer and it is recommended to use that. It's in MX-Tools iirc.
Many thanks - I will try that!
anahata
Established Member

Post by anahata »

anahata wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:49 pm
sunrat wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 11:54 pm MX has a dedicated Nvidia driver installer and it is recommended to use that. It's in MX-Tools iirc.
Many thanks - I will try that!
Worked like a champ - thanks again :D