How many Linux musicians are JUST guitarist??

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

brummer

Re: How many Linux musicians are JUST guitarist??

Post by brummer »

to cp-gfx :

to be able to build it you need to edit the file ~/cp-gfx-0.1.0-src/src/RtAudio/RTAudio.cpp line 45 and add :
#include <cstdlib>
#include <limits.h>
#include <string.h>

edit ~/cp-gfx-0.1.0-src/src/main.cpp line 19 and add
#include <cstdlib>
#include <limits.h>
#include <string.h>

to adaptube edit ~/Adaptube-0.1.1/Stable_Release/adaptio.h line 4 and add
#include<cstdlib>
#include<string.h>
raboof
Established Member

Post by raboof »

looks like cp-gfx is looking for a new maintainer to commit such changes: http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=876561

brummer: do you think the project is worth it?
brummer

Post by brummer »

I dont wont to encorage anybody to maintain it, but it's a bit out of fashion, I think.
So I belive a developer today do better put the power in LV2 development.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

In response to the original post:

I started my musical life as a singer and drummer. I began playing guitar when I was 13, about 45 years ago. Blues was my first great musical love, but I also spent 15 years playing nothing but classical guitar. I currently play guitar in a blues duo and bass in a blues-rock trio. I sing in both groups.

As an aside, I've been using computers to make music since the mid 1980s. Yes, I'm almost a million years old. :)

Best,

dp
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

wow, Dave, you don't look that old from your pics dude...
music keeps us young I guess.
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

funkmuscle wrote:wow, Dave, you don't look that old from your pics dude...
music keeps us young I guess.
That and 30 years of doing t'ai chi. It balances out the sex and drugs. :)
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I can dig that! :D
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

As for the original question: Yes. I am a guitarist, even classically trained. But I also learned to play the piano, but there is nothing much left from the lessons.

For the sound issues, I experimented quite a lot. I have an old Zoom GM-200, which has some nice sounds if you find the right settings. I also like the speaker emulation output of my Marshall JMP-1, which has good dynamics, but needs a little tweaking soundwise. On my iBook I had some very good results with impulses, that gave the sound that little extra to make it feel right. I haven't been able to try a convolution engine on Linux yet, and it is a little frightening with all the compiling. Apart from that there seems to be no nice GUI for any convolution engine, which would make working with different impulses a lot easier. As soon as I get my JMP-1 on my table, I will experiment a little and see how it goes.
The more it stays the same, the less it changes
Scary Hallo
Established Member

Post by Scary Hallo »

I also would describe myself as a guitarist. I also do the lead vocals for my band.
Mostly I connect my GT6 to the sound card of my PC.
But if I have the time I go to the rehersal room and place one or two microphones in front of my Mashall stack. I thing that gives me the best results.
I use Hydrogen and Ardour for songwriting, and recording my own ideas.
Sometimes I use roesgarden as midi sequenzer and Qsynth to play a little bit with sound.
All in all I recognized, I spend more time recording on the comuter since I'm using Linux (I used Windows before). Maybe it's more fun. :mrgreen:

Oh yes - my style is mainly rock music, with parts metal and punk. But sometimes I do very wierd stuff :? Does anyone know the German composer Karlheinz Stockhausen?
angelsguitar
Established Member

Post by angelsguitar »

This should be quite obvious from my nickname, but I'm a guitarist :lol:

First a guitar player, then came computers. And when I thought I had it all, I discovered the gospel of Linux... :D :D :D

Anyway, I can't say I'm just a guitarist, because I play keyboards too, plus a little of bass. Do a lot of sequencing, so mostly use Rosegarden, QSynth and Zynaddsubfx. Also use Ardour and Audacity for the mixdowns.

Have not experimented a lot with Linux amp simulators, but looking forward to it soon (it looks quite interesting). Usually use my Behringer VAmp 2 Pro and/or a Digitech DF-7 through a preamp for distorted/overdriven sounds.
Ángel A. Candelaria Colón
Guitar Professor
https://angelsguitar.com
musicbloke
Established Member

Post by musicbloke »

the reason i got into computers was that i wanted to learn another instrument...in this case, the computer itself! i wanted to make the noises i heard in my head into a reality i couldn't achieve with any other instrument. it takes just as long to master this new instrument as any other - possibly longer, cause there is no Bert Weedon Beginner Book for this one.

this is the biggest opportunity we have yet had to create new, unnatural (supernatural would be a better word) sounds with better and more accurate tunings, and infinitely adjustable rhythm, so why is everybody neanderthalling around with antique bits of kit like guitar, saxophone, string section, piano?

surely linux puts this revolution back into the hands of the people it's for!

i don't, these days, consider myself a guitarist, a keyboardist, cellist, flautist....no, i am a computerist!
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

musicbloke wrote: this is the biggest opportunity we have yet had to create new, unnatural (supernatural would be a better word) sounds with better and more accurate tunings, and infinitely adjustable rhythm, so why is everybody neanderthalling around with antique bits of kit like guitar, saxophone, string section, piano?

surely linux puts this revolution back into the hands of the people it's for!

i don't, these days, consider myself a guitarist, a keyboardist, cellist, flautist....no, i am a computerist!
People are reading books, a technology that is around for some thousand years in one form or another. And most people like holding paper in their hands as they read a novel and they like to listen to real instruments. Nothing against electronic music, but having instruments like guitars, orchestras, pianos and all the little imperfections are what makes the music human. There is nothing more boring than an absolute perfection.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm with you Jan.... The 80s New Wave is a perfect example of music with no feelings... music that said nothing(don't mean the lyrics). It was just too perfect with the midi, etc.
DOn't get me wrong, the computer has it's place as an instrument but not the answer to music's future.
Jan
Established Member

Post by Jan »

There is a very good article and a podcast on the Time website about Auto-Tune, which is about the race to perfect every single thing on a recording and the impact on creativity and artist expression.

While I think that Auto-Tune and other technologies can be seen as a way to work creatively with it (like the Cher song and what followed it), I sometimes think it is too easy to be perfect if you are using a computer.