How many Linux musicians are JUST guitarist??

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

funkmuscle
Established Member

How many Linux musicians are JUST guitarist??

Post by funkmuscle »

I'm asking this question because I was told the reason linux has more audio apps for synths and other things like lilypond, pd, chunk, etc is that the linux users are first computer guys then musicians. And the musician in them are usually keyboard players or experimentalist who plays multi instruments.

I was told that because I wondered why linux wasn't more advanced in guitar amp modeling. I've found tons of free vst amp sims out there that rocks. I know nothing about writing apps if not I would of been doing that since day one.
brummer's got a really nice app for guitar called guitarix and we have rakarrack and caps, guitarix is the closest to sounding like a real overdriven amp.. caps, if you like only that vintage sounding amp, you can pull it off and rakarrack has great effects but the distortion section is the weakest.

I've tried the jack-rack thing and still when you overdrive the sound, it sounds like an old cheap fuzzbox.

Just want to know if anyone else out there in the linux music world are guitarist, and more, hard rock/metal guitarist?
Havoc
Established Member

Re: How many Linux musicians are JUST guitarist??

Post by Havoc »

I'm afraid that I'm "yet another keyboard player". But the point you make is interesting and makes me curious about the outcome.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

yeah, I'm just curious too. I heard that from my Windows and Mac user friends.
That's one of the reasons they don't venture the linux way.
they say linux musicians are more into what kinda computer sounds can we make...
kinda gets under my skin when I hear that crap from them..
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

I, for one, was a guitar player long before I knew what computers were. I started playing guitar in 1984 and spent most of my teenage years playing in metal bands, doing covers of Metallica, AC/DC, Slayer, KISS, etc. I'm sad to say my guitar skills have deteriorated a bit in recent years due my involvement in other things, but that's a situation I'm working hard to rectify.

I would probably be considered a multi-instrumentalist now because I do play piano/keyboard as well, but even that I picked up prior to my interest in computers. I started playing little bit of piano as a music major in college in my late teens. I still wouldn't consider myself more than a low- or mid-level intermediate player though.

I agree that amp modeling is the one thing that is definitely not up to par. My experimentation with re-amping dry guitar signals has been mediocre at best. I have used Rakarrak and Jack Rack so far. I've downloaded and compiled Guitarix, but haven't really experimented with it thus far.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

ntnunk, you sound like me on the guitar side of things. started around the same time and did all that kinda music too.
yeah, life got in the way so working on getting the chops back.
with guitarix, use the jconv to load impulse responses of guitar amp/cab sims.
that's kinda how Amplitibue and the rest of the windows and mac apps work..
you can get the impulse responses from here:
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32
ntnunk
Established Member

Post by ntnunk »

funkmuscle wrote:.
with guitarix, use the jconv to load impulse responses of guitar amp/cab sims.
that's kinda how Amplitibue and the rest of the windows and mac apps work..
you can get the impulse responses from here:
http://www.guitarampmodeling.com/viewforum.php?f=32
Thanks for the info. I'm actually working on something today that this may be the answer for. I'll give it a try.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

you're welcome... just remember to register them... you need to do so to downlaod the files.
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

studio32, the links you gave of freeamp, I have that and many other great sounding free vst amp sims and that's why I wrote this. Windows and Mac have tons of free great guitar software and these developers ill not port to linux or open source their codes. The dude who wrote the app jost and I have been emailing these developers and we both get the same answers, no time for linux, or can you use linux as a DAW?....

Linux has a hand full of guitar apps but tons of great synths and keyboard minded apps.

I don't like using vsts. I don't like depending on Windows. In fact, I didn't want to go to a 64 bit mobo because I needed the vst pluggin and heard nothing but trouble running them on a 64 bit...
Thanx to guitarix and especially jconv, I'm looking for a 64 bit mobo now... I have no need for vsts now..

I just wanted to prove my friends wrong but so far, they seem right.... I need to learn how to program or writes apps so I can contribute to the small amount of guitarist using linux so we can grow in that field..
studio32

Post by studio32 »

I feel the same Funkmuscle. I like your attitude and I am convinced you will be able to make a great guitar effect box for Linux in the future! :)

Good luck!
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

thanx studio32...brummer guitarix I like and rakarrack is cool too. small steps but we need to put linux on the DAW map to get it some respect..
First, we need to have all apps easy to install on any dirsto and someone out there is doing just that...
check this out:

http://autopackage.org/
SuperPenguin
Established Member

Post by SuperPenguin »

hard rock/metal guitarist here :)

But the instrument came first before my love of computers did. 1986 for guitar (9 years old at that point) then 1993 for the first home computer (for me to break repeatedly). Wasn't until 2005 that I actually took a stab at home recording by transferring a 4track tascam recording over to some steinberg software.
open sourced & creative commons licensed album in the works!
follow the progress at http://dissentiate.com
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

sounds like most of guitarist here.... check out guitarix and rakarrack
kaimerra
Established Member

Post by kaimerra »

I do play a lot of guitar and am getting familiar with guitarix and rakarrack, but I also play keyboards, drums/percussion and trombone. I throw in some drunk off key vocals here and there as well. In live performance I have a midi setup that uses Specimen for my samples and AMSynth for my keyboard and makes me a super duper sound machine!
GarryO
Established Member

Post by GarryO »

I think this must be what the server runs - I took the linux hosting option.
It doesn't matter what you are running.
I must say I have had zero problems with 1&1 - totally satisfied.
( I have no connection with 1&1 - I'm just a customer ).

~G.