Top 10

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

artek
Established Member

Re: Top 10

Post by artek »

StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

Yes yes yes !

It still gets to me. She may have been the poster child for the Tao Of Substance Abuse, she's a total zero on stage, but when she sings I believe that even Billie Holiday is listening.

Goofy white girl from London got more soul than 90% of the current crop of r'n'b crooners.

Best,

dp
artek
Established Member

Post by artek »

StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

:)

That's a beautiful performance, thanks for the link.

Best,

dp
troathscream
Established Member

Post by troathscream »

My maybe too heavy for the masses top 10 :

Deicide
Morbid Angel
Blind Guardian / Demons & Wizards (Got the same vocalist counts as one ha ha :wink:)
The Doors
Jimmy Hendrix
Gorefest (NL)
Death
Pestilence (NL)
Kreator
Slayer

And so many other great bands that inpired me to create and record some muzak.
I even like the old chiptunes and tracker songs from the c64 and Amiga Demo scene , ah those beautifull childhood memories.......
Metal for the Devil!!!!
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Q:

I've heard of Akekdoten but I don't think I've heard any of their stuff yet - I'll check them out today.

I recently learned that Ian Wallace attended the same secondary school as me (Bury Grammar), albeit 40 years or so before I went there. I'd say thats the coolest person I know of who is ex-BGS. In the same swoop I discovered Commodore music legend David Whittaker (Shadow of the Beast, Xenon II, Lazy Jones etc) is also from Bury.

Artek / DP:

As I said in the comments section of the interview zth did with Julien recently, Amy is the ONLY musician who achieved mainstream success in the last 15 years or so whos music I love. Very sad!

troathscream:

Wot no Cardiacs? Make checking them out a priority. Trust me, you won't be disappointed - that goes for anyone who is remotely into punk, prog or psyche at least.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Jeremy:

That's cool that you got to open for Blonde Redhead - multiple times even. They're great!
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

Cool to see other peoples tastes and prefs...Top 10 played on my phone this week (FWIW)

Bright Lights - Gary Clark Jr.
Soulshine - Gov't Mule
Use Me - Bill Withers
Family Tree - Kings of Leon
Paris Ooh la la - Grace Potter and the Nocturnals
Mexican Blackbird - ZZ Top
Forget - Lianne La Havas (Wow! saw her live at Osheaga this summer, a beautiful lady who absolutely smokes on fingerstyle jazzy guitar)
Slumville Sunrise - Jake Bugg
The Lion - Monster Truck
What Is Hip - Tower of Power
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Best wishes for 2014 to everybody, to start with.

I'm not really into popular music. I tend more to classical and jazz. So hoping that a somewhat contrary voice will not be frowned upon - here goes (in no particular order):

- Gabriel Fauré;
- Arvo Pärt;
- Dimitri Shostakovich (for a time regarded as "heavy-going" - until I discovered his film music);
- Steve Reich (notably Desert Music!);
- King's Singers (whatever they do: fabulous!);
- Bix Beiderbecke (seminal white jazz trumpeter, who died aged 28. Personal favourite: recordings with Eddy Lang & Frankie Trumbauer);
- The Mills Brothers (1930's male vocal group: what they did with one single primitive microphone and incredible musical instrument imitations puts today's state-of-the-art in a totally different light! Some clips on YouTube, I believe);
- Alex Welsh (great Scottish jazz cornettist, internationally famous in 1970s - but died young in 1980. But for a few die-hard fans now all but forgotten. Some clips on YouTube, I believe);
- Sonny Rollins;
- Tom Waits.

Someone in this forum happened to mention Art Blakey's Jazz Messengers.

I gladly report that once (a long time ago) I saw them performing live - with (possibly) a very young Wynton Marsalis on trumpet. WM is currently leading The Lincoln Jazz Orchestra, which strives to reconciliate tradition with "modernity"(ie in all things jazz).

The Passadena Roof Orchestra (excellently recreating 1920's dance music) should have been on the list, too - but I don't know where to fit them in. And I also like to mention Wilfried Wüsti, a German ukulele player, discovered on YouTube, who sets classical pieces for ukulele. Charming - and beautifully played, too.

tnob
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

tnob wrote: - Dimitri Shostakovich (for a time regarded as "heavy-going" - until I discovered his film music);
When I lived in LA the Kronos Quartet played some (all?) of the Shostakovich quartets. If you'd ever like to experience the "heavy-going" DS check out the 15th. Six movements, all marked adagio. I think it was easier going sitting through a 3-hour Feldman quartet. :)
- Steve Reich (notably Desert Music!);
IIRC I first heard this one at its LA premiere. Nice performance, but the piece didn't move me. I do like other music by SR.
- King's Singers (whatever they do: fabulous!);
Agree++
- Bix Beiderbecke (seminal white jazz trumpeter, who died aged 28. Personal favourite: recordings with Eddy Lang & Frankie Trumbauer);
Actually, Bix played the cornet. That's a part of why his tone is so beautiful. It was said that Bix was the only white player allowed to sit in on King Oliver's jams. I had some Whiteman band recordings with him in the horn section. You can hear him clear as a bell even in the comping.

Wrote a couple of nice piano pieces too.
- The Mills Brothers (1930's male vocal group: what they did with one single primitive microphone and incredible musical instrument imitations puts today's state-of-the-art in a totally different light! Some clips on YouTube, I believe);
You are ringing my chimes today. My parents liked the Mills Bros, along with a lot of other 50s music.
- Sonny Rollins;
Yep.
- Tom Waits.
A modern master.

Have you heard his tracks on the "non-soundtrack" to Dead Man Walking ?

I don't know if you have a taste for contemporary composition, but I'll make a few recommendations.

Kaija Saariaho
Tristan Murail
Gerard Grisey
Claude Vivien

If you're willing to give your time to some more severe music :

Jean Barraque
Sylvano Bussotti
Pierre Boulez
Elliott Carter

Lots of this stuff's on YouTube. I've made a Facepage as a guide for like-minded friends and students :

https://www.facebook.com/studiod69

I'll check out Alex Welsh. I trust the judgement of any fellow fan of Sonny Rollins' music. :)

Best,

dp
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Wow StudioDave,

Thanks very much for your recommendations. None on your list rang a bell, apart from Boulez and Carter. So yeah - well worth checking out those other names mentioned.

As to Shostakovich: first time I got acquainted with Shostakovich's orchestral aymphonies was through a manic-depressive friend. He had a preference for the most unbearably sombre, gravitas-laden pieces in the composer's oeuvre - and played those all day, if possible. Hence, I always associated S. with that, after said friend and I lost contact - and avoided S. (or his music, rather) for precisely that reason. Until I happened to happenstance on his film scores, that is - and this radically changed my perception of Dmitri.

As to Steve Reich: I mentioned Desert Music in particular, since it was the first Reich work ever heard. Bored stiff, one night long ago, I switched on the radio - and Desert Music instantly and completely immersed me. For the next two hours or so I sat listening, totally mesmerised. I rate this as one of the only two most intense musical experiences in my life - and therefore the piece is still very dear to my heart.

In association with the Mills Brothers' glorious microphone technique: when compiling my personal Top 10, a modern 7-piece, imitating musical instruments with their voices alone, crossed my mind. However, since this band's name ([...something...] Seven) failed to crop up, I obviously couldn't include them.

I vaguely remember a trailer on YouTube. But again, nothing else.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm referring to?

As to Bix: yes, you're absolutely right. He wasn't a trumpeter, but -indeed - a cornettist, of course.

As to Alex Welsh: go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zBeM5T1wM for a representative impression (a television registration, a couple of years before AW died - around 1980, I think). And admire the superb rhythm section's drive. Trombone solo/vocal by the great Roy Williams. Of the tenor saxophonist I only recall the surname: Barnes.

tnob
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Further to Alex Welsh (for StudioDave especially):

Alex's wonderful lyricism is something he shares with Bix, I think. And as Davenport Blues became Bix's signature tune, over time, it was Alex's as well - almost throughout his career. This duet, with pianist and lifelong friend Fred Hunt, must certainly be the very best example of it. And therefore it really is a great shame that records of a musician of Alex Welsh's calibre are so very rarely heard on the airwaves today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpIZde7lVoY

tnob
StudioDave
Established Member

Post by StudioDave »

tnob wrote:As to Alex Welsh: go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2zBeM5T1wM for a representative impression...admire the superb rhythm section's drive...
I checked it out, beautiful playing, and yes, the rhythm section caught me at once. Very compact sound, nicely swung. :)

Best,

dp