Top 10

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

StudioDave
Established Member

Re: Top 10

Post by StudioDave »

StudioDave wrote:Captain Beefheart (from Trout Mask forward)
The Velvet Underground (first 3 albums)
anything by Pierre Boulez
anything by Elliott Carter
Muddy Waters
Charley Patton
Leadbelly
John Coltrane
Jelly Roll Morton
Charles Mingus

Tomorrow's list will be somewhat different. It will include Ornette Coleman, Michael Jackson, The Beatles, Zakir Hussein, Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, and anything by Om Kholsoom. It will probably also include Paul Lansky and King Sunny Ade. And oh yeh, Andres Segovia.
maghoxfr
Established Member

Post by maghoxfr »

Pink Floyd
Radiohead
Nirvana
Buenos Muchachos
Hendrix
The doors
The Beatles
Nick Drake
Miles Davis
Astor Piazolla

Top tens are so unfair, I'm leaving out lots of bands but the ones I recurrently go back to and the ones that inspire me the most are this ones. Also, I cheated because the last three are artists not bands :twisted: But I'm listening to lots of tango, jazz and classical this days, and I'm getting a bit explorative checking new sounds and trends and a bit of electronic music which I really like but can't say I have a referent on. I don't have the habit of cataloguing, clasifying and ranking the music I like that's why the list is in no particular order :)
Havoc
Established Member

Post by Havoc »

No particular order:
- Mike Oldfield (more the older stuff, the last iterations being less than inspired)
- The Who
- Jethro Tull
- Steeleye Span
- Emerson, Lake and Palmer
- The Pogues
- the Bach family (just all brilliant composers)
- Mary Black
- Jim Steinman (more a producer, but his touch is so recognisable)
- Nightwish
paldepind
Established Member

Post by paldepind »

This is my top 10. The order is somewhat but not entirely random.
Nirvana
The Doors
VAST
Ice Cube
Ugly Kid Joe
Bruce Springsteen
James Blont
Wu Tang Clan
Bill Haley
R.E.M.
hellalive
Established Member

Post by hellalive »

No particular order:

Tool
Melvins
Kyuss
A perfect Circle
Korn
Nine Inch Nails
SOAD
QOTSA
Machine Head
Failure
He had a lot of nithing to say, we'll miss him
FryeN
Established Member

Post by FryeN »

Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

1. Änglagård
2. White Willow
3. Camel

...and then in no particular order, probably:
– Anekdoten
– Anima Morte
– Van der Graaf Generator
– Genesis
– King Crimson
– Yes
– Pink Floyd

I have a bit of a thing for Scandinavian prog – there are quite a few great bands with just a few albums each that I really like, but I couldn't justify putting them in a top ten on the basis of two or three albums. Änglagård are of course exempt from that because of the sheer quality of their three albums.

I've really not been listening to much music at all for the last 18 months or so. And before that I was actually getting sick and tired of listening to music – it was nice to catch up on listening and justify buying a load of new stuff, but ultimately over two hours' bus journeys a day started to wear very thin.
Thad E Ginathom
Established Member

Post by Thad E Ginathom »

I'm not exactly a dead head. I don't even have much of their music, and I don't listen to it that much these days, but still...

1. The Grateful Dead.

The other nine ...that's hard work. :oops:
paulmerchant
Established Member

Post by paulmerchant »

Pop with melancholy:

1. The Smiths (and Morrissey)
2. The Cure

Lively classical:

3. Mozart
4. Shostakovich
5. Aaron Copland
6. Mussorgsky

Great drumming and musicality:

7. Missing Persons
8. The Smashing Pumpkins

Recent favorite:

9. Sigur Ros

First musical obsession:

10. The Cars

* In no particular order (and many, many more favorites besides these 10).
emarsk
Established Member

Post by emarsk »

Here's mine:

Opeth
Tool
Änglagård
Area
Led Zeppelin
Meshuggah
Björk
Michael Manring
Tony Levin (Stick Men included)
Gentle Giant
Please, avoid some common spelling errors:
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

Nice to see another Änglagård fan out in the wild, outside of the ProgArchives forum :lol:

Whilst not one of my top ten bands, you've reminded me I haven't listened to any Gentle Giant in a long time, I must rectify that.
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Duke Ellington
Beastie Boys
Cardiacs
Secret Chiefs 3
King Crimson (Court through Larks)
Soft Machine (Wyatt era)
Sly + Family Stone
Syd Barrett
Faust (best / most unique live act I've ever seen)
Mr Bungle

There have been so many amazing bands I've loved over the years, but these were the first to fall out of my head to my fingers.
Last edited by danboid on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

danboid wrote:King Crimson (Court through Larks)
I can understand not being into all of Crimson's mutiple line-ups and styles – I'm not a huge fan of their 80s stuff and rarely listen to it and haven't ventured any newer than that – I'm just a little surprised to see as far as Larks but not up until the end of the first big hiatus. I'm just curious, what turns you off SABB and Red, is it the heaviness?
danboid
Established Member

Post by danboid »

Hi Q!

SABB opens with 'Great Deceiver', which is one of my fave KC tracks, but there is nothing else on that album that interests me so I don't listen to it.

I absolutely adore heavy prog when done properly hence me listing Cardiacs and SC3 as two of my fave bands. Both would prob argue they're not really prog but I think its fair to classify them so and they were both influenced by the prog pioneers, without a doubt.

Red is OK but to me it seems quite dull compared what they did before.

I saw Tony Levins band play at BB Kings in NY back in 2005 and it was fantastic and KC did do some good stuff after Larks but Fripps imagination seemed to slide thereafter.

What do you think of Cardiacs, SC3 and Mr Bungle Q? If you're unfamilar with any of these I'd recommend 'The Seaside' or 'On the Land and In the Sea' by Cardiacs, 'Book M' or 'Xaphan..' by SC3 and Mr Bungle's 'Disco Volante'.
Quirq
Established Member

Post by Quirq »

danboid wrote:Hi Q!

SABB opens with 'Great Deceiver', which is one of my fave KC tracks, but there is nothing else on that album that interests me so I don't listen to it.

Red is OK but to me it seems quite dull compared what they did before.
Hi Dan!

Can't argue with that: if they don't do it for you, they don't do it for you :) . SABB is one I don't listen to as often – although I've been listening to close on no music at all for a while now – but I really like The Night Watch and find Fracture pretty good. I love Red as an album (although Providence is dull, particularly Starless which is probably my favourite of all their observations :wink: .
danboid wrote:I saw Tony Levins band play at BB Kings in NY back in 2005 and it was fantastic and KC did do some good stuff after Larks but Fripps imagination seemed to slide thereafter.
The nearest I've come to see Crimso or any related acts, was quite a few years ago now when I saw 21st Century Schizoid Band in Rotherham, in their second incarnation with the sadly now dead Ian Wallace. They were absolutely sublime. They got to the encore and I thought, what can they possibly do, they've done all the "hits" off Court? I'd forgotten that, of course, both Ian McDonald and Mel Collins had guested on Red, but remembered the moment they launched into a storming rendition of Starless!
danboid wrote:What do you think of Cardiacs, SC3 and Mr Bungle Q? If you're unfamilar with any of these I'd recommend 'The Seaside' or 'On the Land and In the Sea' by Cardiacs, 'Book M' or 'Xaphan..' by SC3 and Mr Bungle's 'Disco Volante'.

I've heard of Mr Bungle and Cardiacs but haven't heard any music from those three. I'll try to find time to look them up.

Have you heard any Anekdoten? They're a lot less Crimso-influenced than they used to be and a bit more mainstream sounding on more recent albums – their earlier albums are probably better from a heavy prog perspective. But they're an interesting band, lovely Scandinavian mood and lashings and lashings of lovely Tron :lol: Which reminds me, I must check to see whether there's any news on their new album coming out...