YouTube Video: Mixing in ATMOS Is Insane!

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

GraysonPeddie
Established Member

YouTube Video: Mixing in ATMOS Is Insane!

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I came across a video about mixing in Atmos. It seems like to me I will need to have at least an audio interface capable of 10 channels minimum: 2 front speakers, 1 center speaker, 1 subwoofer, 2 rear surround speakers, and 4 top speakers. Of course, I could go with two top speakers but I would go with 4 at a minimum.

Anyway, here's a video that YouTube's algorithm recommended me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXVRFD-bChY

And boy that is crazy! I don't think I can do that with Linux, let alone that even if I can do 5.1 channels of mixing, I don't think Linux supports 2 or 4 ceiling speakers through HDMI. I mean, I don't know if current GPUs support ceiling speakers through HDMI.

And I don't believe there are pro-level processors such as Anthem AVM70 or AVM90 that can do 7.1.4 multi-channel analog inputs.

I envy those guys on YouTube for having a Dolby Atmos setup. Jealousy is the only word I can think of. But hey! Maybe one day I could have this setup in my own home studio in the future! :) Okay, I would make people in the Linux forums jealous of me. :D Then I'll back off on that one. :)

Seriously! I love Linux and open source so much! And even though I have a Mac Mini so I can gain experience when I get a job in IT, I would rather avoid making music on Mac if at all possible. Even Atmos-type music! Man, I would love to do that using Linux. :D
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.