Audio myths debunked and more - Podcast w Ethan Winer

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

sunrat
Established Member

Audio myths debunked and more - Podcast w Ethan Winer

Post by sunrat »

Ethan Winer is a well respected audio expert, engineer, designer of acoustic treatments, electronics, and legendary debunker of audio myths. In this podcast I just watched he explains about acoustic treatments, why all EQ plugins are basically the same, and why some inexpensive mics can be almost as good as their high cost counterparts. Those last two points are something I have asserted for years but it's great to hear an expert in agreement.

The Intellectual People Podcast with Ethan Winer
milo
Established Member

Re: Audio myths debunked and more - Podcast w Ethan Winer

Post by milo »

Good interview. Thanks for sharing this.

I have wondered about bass traps, and whether I should worry about them. Maybe I'll do some more reading on the subject.
mike@overtonedsp
Established Member

Post by mike@overtonedsp »

why all EQ plugins are basically the same,
That's a broad oversimplification. You may find that various analogue emulations have control laws / control interactions which differ from a standard 'cookbook' EQ, and you might also find that the e.g. a stock EQ built in to your DAW has a cramped filter response which differs significantly from that of a higher quality plug-in, all of which affect the perceived behaviour of the plug-in. I'm all for debunking audio myths but it would be naive to distil that down to "all EQs are the same" - they're not.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

milo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:41 am Good interview. Thanks for sharing this.

I have wondered about bass traps, and whether I should worry about them. Maybe I'll do some more reading on the subject.
They improved the sound in my room a lot (acoustic foam).

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

mike@overtonedsp wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:07 am
why all EQ plugins are basically the same,
That's a broad oversimplification. You may find that various analogue emulations have control laws / control interactions which differ from a standard 'cookbook' EQ, and you might also find that the e.g. a stock EQ built in to your DAW has a cramped filter response which differs significantly from that of a higher quality plug-in, all of which affect the perceived behaviour of the plug-in. I'm all for debunking audio myths but it would be naive to distil that down to "all EQs are the same" - they're not.
Yes, agreed. He was taking a simplistic hardliner stance. Even if they are largely similar under the hood in terms if DSP approach, you might prefer one EQ over another because of user interface, quality of documentation, presets, etc.