I think I need this, but not sure why

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Gps
Established Member

I think I need this, but not sure why

Post by Gps »

When you think you have seen it all, a Guitar synthesizer. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-WtC3pNT70

Then I would only need to learn to strum :mrgreen:

( and probably stop using LMMS :( )

I have watched more of his vids (doctor mix), sometimes learn stuff from it
I think he uses Qbase with his hardware..
Last edited by Gps on Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: I think I need this, but sure why

Post by jonetsu »

Gps wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 pm When you think you have seen it all, a Guitar synthesizer. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdVLofFahQ
"Apple Macbook Air 2011 Gameplay Crysis 2 Bootcamp Windows 7"
Gps
Established Member

Re: I think I need this, but sure why

Post by Gps »

jonetsu wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:34 pm
Gps wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:29 pm When you think you have seen it all, a Guitar synthesizer. 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbdVLofFahQ
"Apple Macbook Air 2011 Gameplay Crysis 2 Bootcamp Windows 7"
Link fixed, thank you.
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: I think I need this, but not sure why

Post by jonetsu »

Looks interesting. It's put forth as a MIDI controller, so it probably means that as far as a guitar, it's not that much. I mean the action, the frets, the fact that it can be dismantled in several pieces, suggests more a controller than a guitar made to specs. Still, it's very probably playable and perhaps as far as it's taken as a controller and not a full-fledged guitar it might be workable. As long as it does not fall in pieces when playing...

The strings being strummed are not the same as the ones running down the fretboard.

I see there are several reviews of it. Like this one, from November last year:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1nhH_CHNc

Looks like a smartphone is needed ... my 3G phone won't do ! Smartphone is seemingly needed for firmware updates, and firmware updates can be needed to improve tracking.

Good thing it's made out of plastic though. Less chances of making dents in the wall.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Yeah I don't like the smartphone part either, but maybe there are other ways.

It might work in LMMS as in recording midi notes. :mrgreen:

For strumming a midi guitar is probably better.

I did not know these existed, but according to the reviewer, the older ones were not that great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VmcNiBTXVw
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

Somewhat similar as Your Rock Guitar YRG-2000. That company bankrupted I think?
You can get such pretty cheap from ebay. I have one, it works ok.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Well I can't play guitar and I would need to learn to play guitar to solve all my daw issues.

Funk guitars are a problem to do on your pc. ( basically all guitars, but the funk ones are the ones I really miss.)

First time I stumbled on this, was while trying to cover rappers delight by the sugar hill gang.

It won't surprise anybody I was able to find a midi file, and it was pretty good, but some guitar part was just not it.
It was close and to some extent good enough, but not really like Chic.

To keep it simple listen to this, and you probably understand my problem.

( for those who do not know, rappers Delight is basically the break of Chic - Good Times
The vid is a performance of chic, doing rappers delight.
Back when rappers delight became a hit, Chic sued the sugar hill gang.
If you can't beat them join them ? These days chic themself plays rappers delight. )
There is even a performance were Chic and The Sugar Hill gang do rappers delight together.)

I know for a long time, I like disco but only recently learned that it is the funk disco I like most.
Those tracks have 9 out of 10 a funk bassline and or some funk guitar rifs.

Just the intro is enough, Nile Rogers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFjvZPxrE4

I say the hip hop the hibbet, the hibbet .....
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

The intro to this Nile Rogers piece would give headaches on a 'guitar' that cannot track properly. Every hit of the strings counts to make the beat texture. That's why I wrote at least the guitar is made of plastic. I would get frustrated in no time playing an instrument that has issues with tracking. I would certainly not recommend this to anyone, beginner or not. Better have a cheap guitar with the strings far away from the frets than this, IMHO.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

Its funny, I at first only knew I liked disco, and had no idea who Nile Rodgers was.

It would probably easier to use ardour and hire him. :)

I do like Daft Punk too, and guess who the guy with dreads is. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF-kLy44Hls

David Bowie- Let dance written by bowie and Niles, and the list goes on and on.

I would need a midi guitar with full strings, and as you said, with damn good pick ups, or it will kill all the funk.

If you play guitar though you can probably answer one of my questions.

How does a guitar work ?

As I understand it, if you play with one hand, the strings already produce certain notes. E G F and some more depending on the number of strings?
Now what happens note wise , when you also use your left hand.

The e and g become an ..... ?

I understand a piano were a string only gets hit ones., I totally don't understand a guitar.
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Gps wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:35 pm If you play guitar though you can probably answer one of my questions.

How does a guitar work ?

As I understand it, if you play with one hand, the strings already produce certain notes. E G F and some more depending on the number of strings?
Now what happens note wise , when you also use your left hand.

The e and g become an ..... ?

I understand a piano were a string only gets hit ones., I totally don't understand a guitar.
Many people here are very good guitar players. I can't say I'm a guitar player really. I make sounds with the guitar and try to make them in such a way that fits with a piece. It's also a nice change from keyboards.

Basically a guitar string will produce a sound at a certain audio frequency depending on how tense it is stretched, which is called tuning. The tighter the string is, the high will be the sound. Just like a stretched rubber band. That's an open guitar string being hit. A left hand finger then simply blocks the string at a certain distance so that the length, the portion of the string that can vibrate and produce a sound becomes shorter. Thus an open guitar string will vibrate at a certain frequency and that same string will resonate at higher frequencies than that when the finger blocks, or chops, the length to a shorter distance. This happens with or without frets on the guitar neck. The frets are the thin metal bars put across the neck to indicate where the note (the frequency) changed from one note to the other according to our vision of music eg A B C D E F G and their sharps and flats eg. Bb C# Eb F# G# etc. Other cultures can have a different approach to sub dividing frequencies. We got our system from the times of Bach and such. A sitar for instance can produce other divisions according to another system. A guitar or bass w/o those frets allows for more variations. Hence a fretless bass or guitar player has to be much more precise in producing standard notes. Especially on fretless guitars (rare after all) since many strings can be played at the same time requiring more precision when playing a guitar w/o frets.

The guitar strings can be tuned in any way. For instance that's many years now that I'm not using a standard tuning. I tuned the strings in a different way so that when they are all strummed openly the sound they produce all together is meaningful, eg. it sounds good. Which is not the case for a standard tuning. Why is it that a regular guitar tuning does not sound good when the strings are openly strummed ? I have no idea. I prefer that they make a nice harmony and to start from that base.

Here's a demo of a professional MIDI guitar, namely a Godin multiac acoustic guitar factory-fitted with pickups and electronics that allows it to be connected to a synth, a Roland GR55, that's made to be able to read the signals sent by the pickups of the guitar. In this case it's a hardware synth sounds, although that synth has MIDI output and can be connected to a DAW to play software synths and record MIDI notes. It's a rather long demo, so skip here and there. For instance at around 26 minutes there are some pad sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMLqJTmqRXk

This setup can cost around $4000 with taxes. About $2000 for the guitar and a bit less for the synth.

I thought of getting such a setup although I'm still pondering if I really need it.
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

That is sadly way over my budget, but pretty cool never the less. :D
Maybe one day is my you tube channels gets a serious amount of followers.

Thank you about explaining a guitar.

I think I finally understand what is happening with strumming note wise.

Some of the strings will just play the note to which they are tuned, because the left hand is not touching those (only the right hand), The strings of the guitar touched with the left hand, will have a changed note, (shorter string).

Its funny how simple things look when you understand it. :lol:
The part, what notes does the right hand produce, has been bugging me for months now.
Because I am 99% sure the right hand touches more strings then the left hand ( 3 to make a chord)

The right hand seems to however hit all the strings yes ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qj30Tx3V3s
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

Gps wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:42 pm Because I am 99% sure the right hand touches more strings then the left hand ( 3 to make a chord)
Nice tune.

There's an infinite way of hitting the strings with the right hand. In this song for instance a pick is used, not the fingers, and played at a diagonal angle so that mostly the smaller, lower strings are hit. Then it's also possible to use fingers. That way there are more possibilities.

You know, there are guitar plugins. I have one as part of a combo, but never really used it to date. It simulates guitar playing in various ways:
guitarist.jpg
guitarist.jpg (40.67 KiB) Viewed 8646 times
Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I think I am gonna try that vst.

I like how I see a left and right hand.

Most vst I saw and tried can't really strum.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

Gps wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 1:35 pm I understand a piano were a string only gets hit ones., I totally don't understand a guitar.
Your best bet is to save some money for a cheap single-coil guitar from Squier or Yamaha :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!