your favourite guitar playing style ?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

gustavowoltmann
Established Member

your favourite guitar playing style ?

Post by gustavowoltmann »

As many people are looking forward to learn to play guitar by hearing a great guitarist. Something inside us makes us say “What is that sound? I wanna play that!”. Once you have experienced this, you are already on the way to being a guitarist. If you have never played before, there are so many types of guitars and guitar playing styles to choose from that it can be tough to know where to start.
want to know which style do you like to play?
Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist
GMaq
Established Member

Re: your favourite guitar playing style ?

Post by GMaq »

Hi Gustavo!

Welcome to the forum!

I like stuff based in the blues... blues, blues rock, funk, soul, bluesy-jazz, country blues, reggae, rootsy, jam-bands and those are the styles I play. Of course I enjoy anything played with authenticity regardless of what genre it is and you only grow by listening outside of your abilities so anything and everything is enjoyable if done well. If you put a guitar in my hands something bluesy will come out and I really can't explain why..

Some stuff is here: https://soundcloud.com/bandshedrecords/albums

How about yourself? What are you playing in the UK?
funkmuscle
Established Member

Post by funkmuscle »

It's very hard to say from my point of view. I grew up heavily influenced by Jimi Hendrix, the Beatles, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin and so on.
I also love BB King, Johnny Winters and stuff like that.
Dimebag Darrell from Pantera. Steve Vai Eddie Van Halen. Frank Zappa, Al Di Meola, Alan Holdsworth.
Prince, dire straits, Parliament funkadelic, the chili peppers.
I even dig country and classical and really really love jazz.
I guess I can just say I love music but because I play guitar it needs to be plugged in as something big and loud so my preference mostly would be hard rock heavy metal.
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

I'm in the same skool as these 2 above me. 8)
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

A lot of good suggestions in the above, but I'll add a few thoughts. I have found over the years that I am learning the most when I am composing. My goal was never to be a great guitarist, but to play well enough to render my songs properly.

Over the years I have learned styles from whatever genre I was listening to. I learned 6-string chords from John Denver, power chords from Nirvana, simple lead guitar from The Cure, bar chords from Radiohead, playing melody and a bass line at the same time from Andres Segovia and Chet Atkins, and many many things from many others: Mark Knopfler, Trey Anastasio, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

And you can learn a lot from some of the "lesser" players if they have a sound you really like. I learned a lot from John Mayer's first album, for instance.
sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

milo wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:54 pmAnd you can learn a lot from some of the "lesser" players if they have a sound you really like. I learned a lot from John Mayer's first album, for instance.
I consider John Mayer to be a great guitar player. If by "lesser" you mean he plays less notes to perfectly fit the song than some other players might, that's a good thing! :wink: 8)
carlv
Established Member

Post by carlv »

A John Mayer side project.. :D
Dead & Company - Madison Square Garden (Full)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Y-IOEdusnQ
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

gustavowoltmann wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:27 am As many people are looking forward to learn to play guitar by hearing a great guitarist. Something inside us makes us say “What is that sound? I wanna play that!”. Once you have experienced this, you are already on the way to being a guitarist. If you have never played before, there are so many types of guitars and guitar playing styles to choose from that it can be tough to know where to start.
want to know which style do you like to play?
You make is sound so easy and effortless. I started playing guitar 6 years ago, and have to say I cannot still play everything I would like to :-)

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

You make is sound so easy and effortless. I started playing guitar 6 years ago, and have to say I cannot still play everything I would like to :-)
I started 30 years ago and still feel the same! I'm learning more every year.
WforWoollyMammoth
Established Member

Post by WforWoollyMammoth »

Jimi Hendrix, Eddie Hazel, Prince, Santana (in 60s) - etc. - my favourite playing style

I've also greatly enjoyed Gabor Szabo, a hungarian jazz guitarist that migrated to the US in the 60s (sort of like the Joe Zawinul of guitar, I guess), for a good while now.
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

One more style which I don't think has been mentioned yet on this thread: Billy McLaughlin. He plays a two-handed tap style on acoustic guitar, and it is really amazing. His Fingerdance album is one of my favorite recordings ever. Here are two examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHUs0lEpFJE (There is a little playing error in this one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBqkkAjjh7o

Unfortunately he developed a neurologic disorder in his left hand and it ended his career. He taught himself to play left-handed, and I really admire the grit it took to do that, but honestly he's not as good as a lefty. :(
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

I always try go give a different answer when this thread comes up, for the sake of variety (since some of my favorites have been posted). Since he's Italian, I'll go with Joe Pass!
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
gustavowoltmann
Established Member

Post by gustavowoltmann »

Hi, you know guitar playing style depends upon your mood as well .
you should concentrate on your rhythm playing as much as on your lead work. Guitarists play a supportive role 90 percent of the time, so keep your rhythm chops in shape
Gustavo Woltmann : UK based rock band guitarist