Vocal Melody

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Sophia15
Established Member

Vocal Melody

Post by Sophia15 »

Hi guys,

I'm suffering at writing lyrics on a vocal melody.Have you got any advice for that?
milo
Established Member

Re: Vocal Melody

Post by milo »

Go outside and go running. I get some of my best musical ideas during exercise. YMMV, of course. :)

Also, I find that this is a place where a lot of people struggle. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in arranging lyrics, then it is usually easy for the listener to hear awkwardness in your arrangement: straining to make a rhyme, emphasizing the wrong syllable of a word, etc.

It is helpful to listen to some of the masters. I personally recommend Jim Croce and Aretha Franklin as particularly good to learn from. They are confident and relaxed in their prosody, not afraid to move words around to give a natural, conversational feel to their performance.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

Two books by Sheila Davis:
"Successful Lyric Writing" and "The Song-Writers Idea Book"
PieterPenninckx
Established Member

Post by PieterPenninckx »

I can't write lyrics at all to the extend that I don't even try. So if I were in your situation I would ask somebody who I can trust to write them for me.
Sophia15
Established Member

Post by Sophia15 »

milo wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:43 pm Go outside and go running. I get some of my best musical ideas during exercise. YMMV, of course. :)

Also, I find that this is a place where a lot of people struggle. If you don't feel comfortable or confident in arranging lyrics, then it is usually easy for the listener to hear awkwardness in your arrangement: straining to make a rhyme, emphasizing the wrong syllable of a word, etc.

It is helpful to listen to some of the masters. I personally recommend Jim Croce and Aretha Franklin as particularly good to learn from. They are confident and relaxed in their prosody, not afraid to move words around to give a natural, conversational feel to their performance.
Thanks,
I will try :)
Sophia15
Established Member

Post by Sophia15 »

nilshi wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:35 pm Two books by Sheila Davis:
"Successful Lyric Writing" and "The Song-Writers Idea Book"
Thanks for your suggestion :)