Music player advise/recommendations needed

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

mike6190
Established Member

Music player advise/recommendations needed

Post by mike6190 »

Hello All,

I came across this forum while searching for a Music player recommendation. My only requirement from the player is to play the consecutive tracks without any need to create Library or Playlist.

I had such a feature in Potplayer on Windows such that lets say I have 50 tracks in a folder, I started randomly playing Track 10 via Potplayer. At the end of Track 10, Track 11 will be played automatically after few seconds without any issues. There was no need to create Playlist / Library or any of that things.

I understood such a feature to be Gapless, maybe am wrong and ever since I moved to Linux few years ago, finding a player that can do this is not possible.

I read a post here about Aqualung and tried it with its default settings but still it didnt work.

Please advise and Thanks for the read...
jonetsu
Established Member

Re: Music player advise/recommendations needed

Post by jonetsu »

mike6190 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 amI came across this forum while searching for a Music player recommendation. My only requirement from the player is to play the consecutive tracks without any need to create Library or Playlist.
cd YourFolderWithMusic
mpv *
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

bitsnpcs wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 11:35 am Hello mike6190,

VLC player can do this, this way -
Open music folder (directory)
Drag over the songs to highlight them
Right click any highlighted one
from the appearing menu click "Open with VLC media PLayer"

Isn't that making a playlist?

I mean, that's how I would do something like this too, but for some reason the OP wants to avoid that.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
thumbknuckle
Established Member

Post by thumbknuckle »

mike6190 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 am Hello All,

I came across this forum while searching for a Music player recommendation. My only requirement from the player is to play the consecutive tracks without any need to create Library or Playlist.

I had such a feature in Potplayer on Windows such that lets say I have 50 tracks in a folder, I started randomly playing Track 10 via Potplayer. At the end of Track 10, Track 11 will be played automatically after few seconds without any issues. There was no need to create Playlist / Library or any of that things.

I understood such a feature to be Gapless, maybe am wrong and ever since I moved to Linux few years ago, finding a player that can do this is not possible.

I read a post here about Aqualung and tried it with its default settings but still it didnt work.
Gapless playback is playing tracks in a playlist without any gap in between them. Some classical recordings will have the pieces split up in to dozens of tracks, a CD player will just play through them without pause but most players on Linux will pause for a split second in between tracks making such recordings unlistenable. Aqualung will do gapless playback, it's the only Linux option I've found that does. It's also a nice, minimalist media player in general.
Faster than a laser bullet.
Louder than an atom bomb.
mike6190
Established Member

Post by mike6190 »

@bitsnpcs Thanks for the quick reply and detailed instructions.. Will try them out and let here know

@jonetsu Interesting, never knew this was an option. Will try it out.

Is there any specific reasons why players do not play the next consecutive track in a folder? My understanding of Gapless playback is that regardless of playlists / library, a player should play the next track in the folder once current track ends.
If there is anything I can do at a user level, I will certainly do it as I have beginner to mid level understanding of Linux..

The whole reason of asking is creating a library / playlist is time consuming, the folders which are scattered and something I really dont want to do.
nils
Established Member

Post by nils »

I do not use a single playlist or a database on my computer.

Music On Console:
http://moc.daper.net/
jonetsu
Established Member

Post by jonetsu »

mike6190 wrote: Sat May 23, 2020 2:32 pm @jonetsu Interesting, never knew this was an option. Will try it out.
That's some time I haven't used vlc although this should also work:

cd YourFolderWithMusic
vlc *
mike6190
Established Member

Post by mike6190 »

Thanks everyone for the replies and instructions..

I look forward to using them and let here know.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

console based: moc (binary is called mocp)

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

Gps
Established Member

Post by Gps »

I am not sure if this is what you want, but I was always a fan of winamp on windows, so now on Linux I am using QMMP.

This does create a playlist, but next time you start the program, it will continue were you stopped the last time.
Also you can add a folder in one go, no need to add track for track, and it will play through all the tracks in the folder.

QMMP with a winamp skin.
https://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/images/qmmp-0.9_full_1.png
milkii
Established Member

Post by milkii »

I use mpv with autoload, so that clicking on any file in the directory auto creates a playlist, like mpv * but starting from a specific file.

they/them ta / libreav.org / wiki.thingsandstuff.org/Audio and related pages / gh

milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

Gps wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:01 am I am not sure if this is what you want, but I was always a fan of winamp on windows, so now on Linux I am using QMMP.

This does create a playlist, but next time you start the program, it will continue were you stopped the last time.
Also you can add a folder in one go, no need to add track for track, and it will play through all the tracks in the folder.

QMMP with a winamp skin.
https://qmmp.ylsoftware.com/images/qmmp-0.9_full_1.png
Audacious is a similar option, which I like a lot (and even use with Winamp skins). Don't know if it does gapless, though.