What music did your parents play in the car at home etc?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

GMaq
Establlshed Member

Re: What music did your parents play in the car at home etc?

Postby GMaq » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:40 am

What a cool topic, enjoying the various answers.. :D

My parents had me very late in life and are/were quite religious and only listened to Gospel music by various purveyors like "The Cathedral Quartet", "The Watchmen" (not the Canadian 90's band, lol) and others of that ilk. I do recall a collection of the Mills Brothers that was jazzy pop of the 1940's variety that had some great jazz songs and ensemble harmonies that would make it's way on to the turntable platter occasionally. My sisters are 15 and 16 years older than me and when they left home in the early 70's they left one album... Carole King - Tapestry, it wasn't rock and roll but I wore the grooves off of it and to this day still know every nuance of every note on it, until I got old enough to start my own music collection it was the only respite from gospel quartets. :lol:

autostatic
Establlshed Member

Postby autostatic » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:14 am

I would have loved if my parents would have played any instrument but unfortunately they can't play any note :(. When it comes to music it's a different story, the music my dad liked and played has been a definite influence for me as it consists of some quintessential stuff:
  • Fleetwood Mac, especially Rumors and Live. "I'm So Afraid" on Live still gives me the shivers. Christine McVie getting angry at Lindsey Buckingham because he broke a string and Lindsey getting back at her with one of the most haunting guitar solo's I've ever heard.
  • Pink Floyd. I remember vividly that my dad took me to my first rock concert. It was Pink Floyd in De Kuip, a big soccer stadium.
  • The Beatles. My dad didn't like The Rolling Stones. I still did get my portion of Stones though as our family went on holiday sometimes with another family of which the dad was (and still is) the guitarist of one of the oldest still existing Dutch rhythm and blues bands, The Bintangs. He was the one who got me into playing the guitar and making music.
  • McGuinn, Clark and Hillman. Found a copy recently in a 2nd hand record store. It was a joy to hear that music again after like 30 years.
  • Dire Straits and then especially Love Over Gold which is their darkest, together with Brothers In Arms.
I still have all the cassettes my dad used to play in the car. He also gave me his small vinyl collection and his record player which are now safe with me ;)

wjl
Establlshed Member

Postby wjl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:06 am

Since I'm probably a bit older than the rest here, the answer is:

... the wrong one ...

(German Schlager and other tortures)
more about me on my blog

ufug
Establlshed Member

Postby ufug » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:38 pm

Fun topic. There wasn't much music around at home. My mother had a only a few Ray Conniff Singers LPs that she would listen to over and over, and my dad had Johnny Cash and Merle Haggard 8 tracks in his truck.

This will really date me, but the first thing I really remember hearing and falling in love with was Wichita Lineman playing on an old radio that hung from a coat hanger in the dairy barn, always with the volume maxed and probably a 3" speaker. It seemed like it got played every day back then.

That song is still gold for me when thinking about arrangement or composition. And also a great lesson on getting a bass sound that cuts through a busy mix on tiny speakers.

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:58 pm

ufug wrote:Johnny Cash

Nothing wrong with that. I love a lot of his music.

Nachei
Establlshed Member

Postby Nachei » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:15 pm

ufug wrote:That song is still gold for me when thinking about arrangement or composition. And also a great lesson on getting a bass sound that cuts through a busy mix on tiny speakers.

Just listened to Wichita Lineman (in my laptop speakers, as close in harshness as I can get to a radio in the barn right now :P ). My style of preference is more extreme music (metal, etc...), but I also have a sweet teeth for good melodies, and I think the song is great, when the violins kick in it has a bit of a Carpenters vibe... As for Harmony, they are very cute and all, but it's like a truck filled with cotton candy, too much for me... :lol:

Just fooling around, thank you for sharing...

ufug
Establlshed Member

Postby ufug » Thu Jun 08, 2017 7:41 pm

42low wrote:

Yes, he was great! I was very lucky Johnny and June Carter were my first concert, the only time I remember seeing live music as a kid. Would have been late 1970s. I just saw his daughter Rosanne do a lecture/performance a few weeks ago and she's a remarkable person as well as a talented performer. Total class act.

wjl
Establlshed Member

Postby wjl » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:32 pm

42low wrote:

Right. Sometimes it takes time to realize how good someone was.
more about me on my blog

GMaq
Establlshed Member

Postby GMaq » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:44 pm

ufug wrote: the first thing I really remember hearing and falling in love with was Wichita Lineman playing on an old radio that hung from a coat hanger in the dairy barn, always with the volume maxed and probably a 3" speaker. It seemed like it got played every day back then.

That song is still gold for me when thinking about arrangement or composition. And also a great lesson on getting a bass sound that cuts through a busy mix on tiny speakers.

Wow, that's a memory!

I know exactly how that would sound, every dairy farmer had some beat up fly shit encrusted transistor radio in in the barn and despite the sound of all the cattle and milking equipment it's amazing how those AM Radio mixes would cut through anything. The next miracle was the longevity of those radios... literally decades running 24/7 in all weather environments, a modern bluetooth speaker would last less than a week and probably not project sound nearly as well :roll: :lol:

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:30 am

wjl wrote:
42low wrote:

Right. Sometimes it takes time to realize how good someone was.

What i especially like on Cash is it's simplicity of making music. But at the end he made great work with the creativity which is behind that.
That follows my personal philosophy. Keep it as simple as possible, but try to be catchy with the music and lyrics.
If you listen to 'the greatest hits' ever and analize them, you will find out that many of them aren't that 'difficult' at all. Even more 'simple'. Easy to play riffs and so on. And the break true hits aren't recorded in the best studio's but even in setups worse than we have now in our homerecording setups.
My (fun) goal: Make a (simple but catchy) song that get's slightly popular (even fun if it would be within limited range). That would be fun to me. :mrgreen:

tnovelli
Establlshed Member

Postby tnovelli » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:14 pm

Almost all of the above. :D
Fleetwood Mac all the time. Lots of country, country-rock, folk-rock... Emmlou Harris, Dolly Parton, Bonnie Raitt, Peter Paul & Mary, Simon & Garfunkel, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard. At one point Steve Earle was all over the radio, especially Copperhead Road 8). I definitely heard some Beatles, Stones, Clapton, Dire Straits, Deep Purple, Heart. And whatever was on the 80s pop stations and MTV, Madonna, Michael Jackson, U2, Enya, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Genesis, etc.

Later my dad starting playing guitar again and listening to blues/jazz players like Jeff Beck, Danny Gatton, Buddy Guy, Duke Robillard. We went to a few of their gigs. Duke's my favorite of the bunch, played a lot of upbeat jazzy blues, got people out on the dance floor, very interesting lead style too.

My grandma was a church organist so I was also exposed to baroque music. Hard to believe these days, but she was the only musician I knew growing up who played Bach.

So much country though. Needless to say, I became a metalhead. :lol:
(Eventually started to appreciate (older) country in my 30s.)

42low
Establlshed Member

Postby 42low » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:32 pm

Great bands you mention tnovelli.

What i miss in the reactions is reggae. No one listened to Bob Marley? The Specials? Black Uhuru? Peter Tosh? UB40 in there early years? Cokane In My Brain (you know, from Dillinger) ? :mrgreen:

tnovelli
Establlshed Member

Postby tnovelli » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:10 am

Oh yeah, I heard a little UB40 and Bob Marley growing up but I've only started getting into reggae in the last year or so actually.

wjl
Establlshed Member

Postby wjl » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:05 pm

42low wrote:Great bands you mention tnovelli.

What i miss in the reactions is reggae. No one listened to Bob Marley? The Specials? Black Uhuru? Peter Tosh? UB40 in there early years? Cokane In My Brain (you know, from Dillinger) ? :mrgreen:

Well *I* certainly did - but the question was about the parents' style and taste. Well well - guess I could categorize as a grandpa amongst some of you in here ;-) But we have a 12-year-old, that keeps you young hehe...
more about me on my blog

folderol
Establlshed Member

Postby folderol » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:18 pm

Well, as I said my parents weren't interested, so were quite perplexed by my collection of singles, starting with Cliff Richards, and morphing though Dave Clark 5, Beatles, Stones, Animals,(and yes Bob Marley) then on to albums of Tangerine Dream, Moody Blues, Tomita, Jarre.

Return to “General Music Discussion”