Cheating

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Luc
Established Member

Cheating

Post by Luc »

I had a good laugh at this joke today. I've been told it's old, but I didn't know it.
I hope it's ok to post it here.
I thought that using loops was cheating, so I programmed my own using samples. I then thought that using samples was cheating, so I recorded real drums. I then thought that programming them was cheating, so I learned to play the drums for real. I then thought that using purchased drums was cheating, so I learned to make my own. I then thought that using pre-made skins was cheating, so I killed a goat and skinned it. I then thought that was cheating too, so I grew my own goat from a baby goat. I also think that this is cheating, but I’m not sure where to go from here. I haven’t made any music lately, what with the goat farming and all.
bhilmers
Established Member

Re: Cheating

Post by bhilmers »

It is an old joke, but seems timeless since it is still relevant today. I play live electronic music several times a year and the topic of "what's cheating?" comes up much too often within my circle of collaborators.
rghvdberg
Established Member

Post by rghvdberg »

Pablo Picasso - “bad artists copy, great artists steal.”
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

The POV from a deceased rodent :

http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/2569050 ... l-hit-play

Best,

dp
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

davephillips wrote:The POV from a deceased rodent :
http://deadmau5.tumblr.com/post/2569050 ... l-hit-play
I really appreciate that kind of honesty. Maybe I should learn more about that guy. :D
ufug
Established Member

Post by ufug »

Reminds me of the joke about using only open source software to make music on Linux, but then realizing playing a patent and trademark-encumbered Fender guitar and singing into a SM58 was cheating, so you just sit on your ass and watch The Voice instead.
listenable at c6a7.org
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

ufug wrote:Reminds me of the joke about using only open source software to make music on Linux, but then realizing playing a patent and trademark-encumbered Fender guitar and singing into a SM58.
...through a patent-encumbered recording interface full of patent-encumbered microchips connected via a patent-encumbered connection specification to an IBM clone PC full of more patent-encumbered microchips onto a patent-encumbered hard disk controlled by a patent-encumbered disk controller full of even more patent-encumbered microchips.... :roll: :D
CrocoDuck
Established Member

Post by CrocoDuck »

GMaq wrote: ...through a patent-encumbered recording interface full of patent-encumbered microchips connected via a patent-encumbered connection specification to an IBM clone PC full of more patent-encumbered microchips onto a patent-encumbered hard disk controlled by a patent-encumbered disk controller full of even more patent-encumbered microchips.... :roll: :D
:lol: We need more open hardware! Or not, I don't know. It would be cool tho. Who's up for designing the first open guitar? I will ask for tips to a friend of mine who is a luthier, and then I will remember I have not time for that... sadly...
Lyberta
Established Member

Post by Lyberta »

GMaq wrote:
ufug wrote:Reminds me of the joke about using only open source software to make music on Linux, but then realizing playing a patent and trademark-encumbered Fender guitar and singing into a SM58.
...through a patent-encumbered recording interface full of patent-encumbered microchips connected via a patent-encumbered connection specification to an IBM clone PC full of more patent-encumbered microchips onto a patent-encumbered hard disk controlled by a patent-encumbered disk controller full of even more patent-encumbered microchips.... :roll: :D
Challenge accepted.
davephillips
Established Member

Post by davephillips »

A quote:

"Freed from tedious calculations the composer is able to devote himself to the general problems that the new musical form poses and to explore the nooks and crannies of this form while modifying the values of the input data. [...] With the aid of electronic computers the composer becomes a sort of pilot: he presses the buttons, introduces coordinates, and supervises the controls of a cosmic vessel sailing in the space of sound, across sonic constellations and galaxies that he could formerly glimpse only as a distant dream. Now he can explore them at his ease, seated in an armchair."

From Musiques Formelles, by Iannis Xenakis, published in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iannis_Xenakis

Personally I prefer Xenakis's music to anything by the deadmau-five guy, though I admit that it is harder to dance to.

So no, I'm not just pressing Play, I'm supervising the controls of a cosmic vessel ! 8)

(Alas, I fear my vessel is more comic than cosmic.) :oops:

Best,

dp
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

... and then I woke up to the sound of the guy behind hammering his horn, while the car in front had finally started moving.
There is nothing cosmic about the M25 :(
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
Luc
Established Member

Post by Luc »

davephillips wrote:A quote:

"Freed from tedious calculations the composer is able to devote himself to the general problems that the new musical form poses and to explore the nooks and crannies of this form while modifying the values of the input data. [...] With the aid of electronic computers the composer becomes a sort of pilot: he presses the buttons, introduces coordinates, and supervises the controls of a cosmic vessel sailing in the space of sound, across sonic constellations and galaxies that he could formerly glimpse only as a distant dream. Now he can explore them at his ease, seated in an armchair."

From Musiques Formelles, by Iannis Xenakis, published in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iannis_Xenakis

Personally I prefer Xenakis's music to anything by the deadmau-five guy, though I admit that it is harder to dance to.

So no, I'm not just pressing Play, I'm supervising the controls of a cosmic vessel ! 8)
Impressive! Thank you for sharing this. :D