What's The Best Desktop DAW In 2014?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Steeler
Established Member

What's The Best Desktop DAW In 2014?

Post by Steeler »

This poll will be open through Nov 15, 2014.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2014/ ... 2014-poll/
YouTube
Interfaces: Behringer FCA1616 - Presonus FP10
Kernel: 4.13.0-32-lowlatency
asbak
Established Member

Re: What's The Best Desktop DAW In 2014?

Post by asbak »

Those polls are kinda meaningless when you consider that FL Studio, Reason and Ableton are pitted against Protools or Cubase and that the popular vote reflects the preferences (and budgets) of mostly bedroom produsas who'd be in the vast majority. :mrgreen:

Different horses for different courses.

The "best" system is whatever you are able to operate efficiently and can use to assemble and edit your tracks into a decent end-result.
Some Focal / 20.04 audio packages and resources https://midistudio.groups.io/g/linuxaudio
GraysonPeddie
Established Member

Re: What's The Best Desktop DAW In 2014?

Post by GraysonPeddie »

I'd prefer Reaper. I like to write new age music and maybe a bit of 80s/90s-style smooth jazz. Something like Yanni, Checkfield, Chip Davis, David Lanz, and David Benoit.

Really, my favorite MIDI-heavy, QWERTY-keyboard focused MIDI sequencer will have to be MusE-Sequencer. The UI does not look as nice as compared to QTractor and Ardour. I favor MusE sequencer due to out-of-the-box keyboard shortcuts and support for JACK-MIDI without using an ALSA-MIDI bridge. Also, MusE sequencer is a lot easier to use for drawing clips with a draw tool instead of going to QTractor's Clip -> New where I have to save a session first before I start to experiment with making music. Support for viewing multiple MIDI clips in different tracks at the same time would be nice to have in MusE. Besides, MIDI-heavy, QWERTY-keyboard heavy MIDI sequencer is important to me, but could a MIDI sequencer be called a DAW if it does not have support for audio tracks?
--Grayson Peddie

Music Interest: New Age w/ a mix of modern smooth jazz, light techno/trance & downtempo -- something Epcot Future World/Tomorrowland-flavored.