What to do about latency in Ubuntu 14.04?

Music trends, latest album reviews...whatever!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

What to do about latency in Ubuntu 14.04?

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Greetings all,

About a week ago, I bought a Zoom R16 multitracker/audio interface/controller. Sending audio playback from desktop to laptop (and vv) previously not doable (because of aging gear) has greatly improved. But now considerable latency on the laptop has come to my notice.

My desktop is dual boot (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS/Windows 7). Windows, in this set-up, is nothing more, generally, than an auxiliary - offering, for example, readily available virtual musical instruments to play, on MIDI-enabled digital piano, in much less complicated ways than in Ubuntu (from my point of view, anyway). These, though, can't be recorded in Ubuntu on the desktop, obviously - so now Audacity kicks in (on the laptop - also dual boot, but here only Ubuntu 14.04 LTS relevant).

From audio out, on the desktop, a line goes to one of eight Zoom inputs. And another from Zoom's L/R audio outputs to mic/line in, on the laptop - and Audacity. Invariably, however, signal from the desktop (adding to an already existing score) will arrive in Audacity with considerable delay. And in playback (i.e. Audacity's, on the laptop), it'll play consistently slower than the rest of the score, oddly enough.

Sample from the sending end (desktop) plays without any latency whatsoever. But presently I have consistent lag at the receiving end (laptop/14.04's Audacity).

Desktop, Zoom and laptop bit rates are all 24: I checked. So much seems clear. Apart from that, I have no idea what else to do.

Any thoughts?

tnob

NB: desktop as well as laptop have been rigorously overhauled only a couple of weeks ago. Both now contain the latest version of Audacity. Furthermore, if I can't make the above construct work, I'll probably be back to Windoze entirely - and I'd positively hate that!
sixwingsfire

Re: What to do about latency in Ubuntu 14.04?

Post by sixwingsfire »

I'm a Linux and digital recording newbie (haven't done anything yet, but here to learn), but I see that you are using the Zoom RT16.
Are you using it as an audio interface? I didn't think there were any Linux supported driver... but if so that makes me happy because I have a Zoom RT24 and I'd love to be able to use it in a Linux DAW.

PS
Sorry that I'm not able to help you with your question.
Veerstryngh Thynner
Established Member

Post by Veerstryngh Thynner »

Hi there,

Zoom R16 is a an independent 16-track-recorder, audio interface and controller all rolled in one. I'm using it mainly in the first capacity. But as an audio interface, it seems to work in Ubuntu 12.04 (on my desktop), too - and in 14.04 as well (previously on my laptop, but now replaced by Mint). I haven't yet worked out how, precisely, to do that with the USB cable included; but what I did discover is that Zoom's SD data are very easily transferred to Audacity or Ardour.

If your desktop or laptop has an integrated SD card reader, it's simply a matter of putting your Zoom SD card in that slot, for further editing. A simple external SD card reader, for only a few quid, works a treat as well!

There's also a Zoom forum. Google that, and you can't go wrong!

tnob
nate
Established Member

Post by nate »

the Zoom forums apparently hasn't been processing new user registrations in quite some time.