transposing chords

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

Re: transposing chords

Post by D-Tuned »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 2:54 pm the (B) was a subliminal to think about that B bass string you can't see when you're on the first low E string :)
it actually was put to suggest thinking about how changing of low string transposed the stuff, seems you found out the "capo" (change of "barré") could help transposing but you missed the base string mod.
for instance:

Code: Select all

|---------
|---------
|---------
|-0--0-2--
|-2--0-2--
|-3--2-3--

|---------
|---------
|-0--0-2--
|-2--0-2--
|-3--2-3--
|---------

|---------
|---------
|---------
|-5--5-0-2
|-7--5-2-3
|-8--7-3-5

|---------
|---------
|-5--5-0-2
|-7--5-2-3
|-8--7-3-5
|---------

OK, I get it, in the above you show how selected fingered triads migrated
UP (to the next higher strings) move them all one 4th up.

...alternatively jump one string down and slide down 3 frets or jump one string up and slide down one fret

some major thirds examples:

|---------7-
|-------7-8-
|-----4-7---
|---4-5-----
|-2-5-------
|-3---------
I don't know what you're trying to show here. To me "down" means
to a lower pitch and "up" means to a higher pitch whether it's staff
lines, strings, frets, slides, neck or whatever.
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

D-Tuned wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:46 am If I were to transpose a song from G to C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpvTaWo6EdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlRsfL7K5bo

how should I approach the problem of chords?
I love this song, it hit me like a brick wall first hearing it some 10 years after it
released. At the time of posting I wanted to transpose it to C but have since
decided to leave it as is. I've made a backing track draft (sample: tinyurl.com/xrxnfsum)
and am looking for optimized (cleanish) lead tones I could try on a boss Me-80
effects board.
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

About your question "dunno what you want to show me here" you're correct that I set up a too complex exemple, this reformulation may be clearer:

E|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|-------------7-------11------15--|
B|---------------------------------|---------------------0-------4---|-----8---8-------12------16------|
G|---------------------------------|-----0-------4---0-------4-------|-8-------------------------------|
D|---------------------1-------5---|-1-------5-----------------------|---------------------------------|
A|-----2-------6---2-------6-------|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
E|-3-------7-----------------------|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
(Half of the western classical music is based on this, the other half being similar but using minor thirds, the third half of course being trying hard to demonstrate how all this should be shown as a circle of 4ths or a circle of 5ths :D)
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I don't know what you're showing there. It's an augmented triad.

Note that an augmented is symmetrical -- any note can be the root -- G, B, or D#/Eb. An augmented triad doesn't appear in a major key, but it does appear in the harmonic and melodic minors, so G+ says E minor to me. Also worth noting that the last voicing in my example above doesn't sound so great -- it's too low for a stack of major thirds.

I'm not sure what you mean by classical music being based on an augmented triad. :)
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

merlyn wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:31 pm I don't know what you're showing there. It's an augmented triad.
That's correct, you don't know what I was showing if you think that was an augmented triad :D
I was just showing the OP again (re: his previous question about "how to transmute D in F#") another way for him to "see" the major thirds on a guitar neck since he happens to have one of the kind :)

Note that what you posted then is indeed an augmented triad so you were right in what you posted and that's the best way to post ;)

Note that an augmented is symmetrical -- any note can be the root -- G, B, or D#/Eb. An augmented triad doesn't appear in a major key, but it does appear in the harmonic and melodic minors, so G+ says E minor to me. Also worth noting that the last voicing in my example above doesn't sound so great -- it's too low for a stack of major thirds.
Well, it certainly depends on what guitar/strings/strength/tone/etc you put to it but though I admit it'd mostly feel quite muddy in some pieces it may be of interest in some situations, for instance I'd probably use it for a pre-into or a pre coda resolving nicely to the Cm taut above (x35543) :)
I'm not sure what you mean by classical music being based on an augmented triad. :)
I didn't say or mean that, I exactly said it was only one of the three or four halves of it ;)
Though it indeed is a joke (and an old one since my teachers said their own teachers played it on them even before ;)) it is not exactly wrong since when you look tetras (and so on) then you find them striking back strong, ex:
ACEG CEGB EGBD, etc.
AC#EG# CEbGBb EG#BD#, etc.
...etc.

And so it'll be that later when the miller'll tell his tale you may slowly start introduce the four (though not final) half of classical music theory which starts or ends in polyatonality :D
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:57 pm Well, it certainly depends on what guitar/strings/strength/tone/etc you put to it but though I admit it'd mostly feel quite muddy in some pieces it may be of interest in some situations, for instance I'd probably use it for a pre-into or a pre coda resolving nicely to the Cm taut above (x35543) :)
You're right. It's bad form to leave these chords hanging, unresolved. :) It could work in a solo piece. Using it as a V chord in a minor key I would think about it as G7#5.

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:20 am About your question "dunno what you want to show me here" you're correct that I set up a too complex exemple, this reformulation may be clearer:

E|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|-------------7-------11------15--|
B|---------------------------------|---------------------0-------4---|-----8---8-------12------16------|
G|---------------------------------|-----0-------4---0-------4-------|-8-------------------------------|
D|---------------------1-------5---|-1-------5-----------------------|---------------------------------|
A|-----2-------6---2-------6-------|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
E|-3-------7-----------------------|---------------------------------|---------------------------------|
(Half of the western classical music is based on this, the other half being similar but using minor thirds, the third half of course being trying hard to demonstrate how all this should be shown as a circle of 4ths or a circle of 5ths :D)
It's not that it was too complex it's just that I have done very little with intervals and NONE of it in terms of the the frets (as half steps). But once I gave myself the required wheel-alignment about the 4ths of the 5ths in that circle I made the connection of C-to-D#. I do have a question though, why do you break the pattern of bar-1 and bar-2 in bar-3?
broken-pattern.png
broken-pattern.png (23.74 KiB) Viewed 5906 times
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Post by Loki Harfagr »

You're right the two times, first I shouldn't have say "complex" but "condensed" and secondly I don't know why I "broke the pattern", my best hypothesis on that is that I goofed :D
(though in the end I'm happy it had some didactic effect since you did spot it rightly :) )
D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

Loki Harfagr wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:24 am You're right the two times, first I shouldn't have say "complex" but "condensed" and secondly I don't know why I "broke the pattern", my best hypothesis on that is that I goofed :D
(though in the end I'm happy it had some didactic effect since you did spot it rightly :) )
Oh, whadda relief! For a moment I thought there might be
yet another exception to learn :lol: