(guitar) are EADGBE and DGCFAD different tunings?

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

D-Tuned
Established Member

(guitar) are EADGBE and DGCFAD different tunings?

Post by D-Tuned »

I read in many places that they are both 'standard tuning' but there can only be one standard, anything that sounds different when strummed open is a different tuning and for purists that should even include the A reference frequency. I use DGCFAD and call it Dropstep because it is different from standard (EADGBE) tuning in that all strings are stressed a whole step lower. I get to be called by exotic names for this so I'd like to clarify the convention and/or develop some arguments. Some suggest that Standard-D tuning is the answer yet when I go to sites like

http://www.chorderator.com/cgi-bin/designer.py

that option does not even figure in the dropdown list.
Loki Harfagr
Established Member

Re: (guitar) are EADGBE and DGCFAD different tunings?

Post by Loki Harfagr »

I read in many places that they are both 'standard tuning' but there can only be one standard,
GAME OVER
TRY AGAIN!
PLEASE INSERT COIN
IT'S MORE FUN TO COMPETE
bluzee
Established Member

Post by bluzee »

I believe that would normally be referred to as detuned one step. Some may understand what you mean if you call it D standard.
GMaq
Established Member

Post by GMaq »

Hi,

An interesting question as I use DGCFAD all the time and never know what to call it, people look at my hands at a jam and ask "what the hell are you tuned to!??" and I always mumble "standard tuning down a whole step" at which point they've already quit listening at the word 'standard' so some single catchall word to describe this tuning would be welcomed!

I also play a lot of baritone guitars BEADF#B but at least 'baritone' is a snap answer that identifies what is going on pretty quickly, we certainly need a single word to differentiate from standard EADGBE for sure, that said 'dropstep' sounds more like a music genre than a tuning...lol
tavasti
Established Member

Post by tavasti »

D-Tuned wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:25 pm I read in many places that they are both 'standard tuning' but there can only be one standard, anything that sounds different when strummed open is a different tuning and for purists that should even include the A reference frequency. I use DGCFAD and call it Dropstep because it is different from standard (EADGBE) tuning in that all strings are stressed a whole step lower. I get to be called by exotic names for this so I'd like to clarify the convention and/or develop some arguments. Some suggest that Standard-D tuning is the answer yet when I go to sites like

http://www.chorderator.com/cgi-bin/designer.py

that option does not even figure in the dropdown list.
At least in rocksmith they are called 'E standard' and 'D standard'. Or someone could just say 'my guitar is tuned to D'.

Linux veteran & Novice musician

Latest track: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycVrgGtrBmM

D-Tuned
Established Member

Post by D-Tuned »

GMaq wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:19 am Hi,

An interesting question as I use DGCFAD all the time and never know what to call it, people look at my hands at a jam and ask "what the hell are you tuned to!??" and I always mumble "standard tuning down a whole step" at which point they've already quit listening at the word 'standard' so some single catchall word to describe this tuning would be welcomed!

I also play a lot of baritone guitars BEADF#B but at least 'baritone' is a snap answer that identifies what is going on pretty quickly, we certainly need a single word to differentiate from standard EADGBE for sure, that said 'dropstep' sounds more like a music genre than a tuning...lol
I hate and try to avoid freakin ambiguity llike the plague. Firstly I think there is concensus that EADGBE ___is___ THE standard, we all began with that, but that's as far as I get. I agree with GMaq that Dropstep may not be ideal, sound like one stepped into something :lol: :lol: :lol:

You mention D and instantly everyone's gone for Drop-D, if you say D-Standard they haven't heard the second word either. Step-Down would sound political, "Thee-GC-fad" lacking respect, and so on. Come on linuxmusicians, cough up some originality :)
Artificial-Stupidity will never be competitive