Transcribing/Rhythm course or software

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

finotti
Established Member

Transcribing/Rhythm course or software

Post by finotti »

Hello, everyone!

I have learned enough theory for writing music (and transcribing). I know how it all should work. But, for lack of practice, I still have a hard time transcribing correctly. I usually try to figure out in my head, write it, and have the computer play it back to check. I often get the rhythm wrong, but with some trial and error I can fix it.

It would greatly improve my workflow if I made fewer mistakes.

Is there any software or online course (it could be paid) on this (rhythm, transcribing)? Again, I know the theory already, I just need practice, and it is just for rhythm. (I do not need to train for reading either.)
d.healey
Established Member

Re: Transcribing/Rhythm course or software

Post by d.healey »

I use Ardour's vari speed feature and filters to help me transcribe. Check out Mike Verta's YouTube channel, he talks a lot about transcribing.
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

You can use Sonic Visualizer with the various VAMP plugins you can find online. Ardour includes some, such as automatic polyphonic MIDI transcription.

Actually, as someone who's worse than you at transcription, I tell you what I tell myself: doing things by hand is probably the best way if you can dedicate enough time to it. This is because people learn by making mistakes, and cutting the mistake parts could affect negatively your learning process. If you want to get better at rhythm, try doing some exercises in GNU Solfege :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

Thanks for the replies!

I already know about techniques to learn songs "by ear", but I do appreciate the suggestions. My main problem is writing what I can already play.

GNU Solfege is the sort of software I had in mind! It's too bad it is so limited (for rhythm at least), but it will be of great help nonetheless. Thanks @Basslint for the suggestion!
d.healey
Established Member

Post by d.healey »

finotti wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:03 pm GNU Solfege is the sort of software I had in mind!
What about kde minuet?
David Healey
YouTube - Free HISE scripting and sample library dev tutorials
Libre Wave - Freedom respecting instruments and effects.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I searched 'rhythmic dictation' and came up with this :

https://www.teoria.com/en/exercises/rd4.php

I haven't tried it but it looks like the sort of thing you're after. What is it you're finding difficult writing down? I would guess it's syncopation. Syncopated 16th notes can be challenging to write down correctly.
finotti
Established Member

Post by finotti »

d.healey wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:05 pm What about kde minuet?
Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to me it is based on Sofege, as it has exactly the same limitations. But I do appreciate the suggestion!
merlyn wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:35 am I searched 'rhythmic dictation' and came up with this :

https://www.teoria.com/en/exercises/rd4.php

I haven't tried it but it looks like the sort of thing you're after. What is it you're finding difficult writing down? I would guess it's syncopation. Syncopated 16th notes can be challenging to write down correctly.
Now, that is what I was looking for! You can select the patterns (and add them as you develop), play your own patter to compare to the original. I really like it! I would much prefer if it were some piece of open source software, but other than that, it was what I was looking for. Thank you very much for pointing it out!

I have difficulties with even more basic elements than syncopated 16th notes, to be honest... So, I am starting with the basics and will slowly progress to see if I can build a really solid foundation.

Thanks all for your help!
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I tried teoria and found it good. At first I wondered why the developer had chosen the sound he had, then I realised it needs to be a sustained sound so that you can hear rests.

Syncopation is an option. Before you get to that though I would aim for 100% on the simpler exercises, then move on.

I have a way of counting rhythm that makes syncopation easier. If we take an example from teoria :

If we counted that in the traditional way it would be 1 2 3 & 1 & & 3. Counting the traditional way it's possible to get lost in the 'ands'. In jazz syncopation is the norm, not the exception, so I think about two 1s, two 2s ... one on an on beat and one on an off beat.

I would count the above example as 1 2 3 4 1 2 & 3 where the italicised beats are off beats. This way it's possible to keep track of where you are in the bar.
patchlore
Established Member

Post by patchlore »

In my ear training classes, we used to conduct while doing sight singing. By doing this, you got more familiar with how rhythms aligned with the beats.

Rhythm has a grammar to it. The majority of western music is comprised of rhythmic patterns at the 16th, 8th, or quarter-note level, sometimes with a triplet (quarter or 8th) or duple thrown in. You learn to recognize these patterns and groupings, and being able to listen while keeping a beat by clapping or conducting really does help with that.

When you learn sight singing for rhythms, you get accustomed to seeing these patterns in staff notation in a very predictable way. Eyes connecting to ears, and all that.

Before I did ear training in college I used this textbook to learn sight singing. The first chapter has a few rhythmic examples:

https://www.lightandmatter.com/sight/sight.html

For more interesting and advanced rhythms, I'd look to the Berklee Ear Training textbooks. These are more jazz oriented books rather than classical, so there is more of an emphasis on rhythm and groove. Ear training 3 + 4 is where things get interesting.