Dropstep (guitar) cheatsheet mystery, for Yodas

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

fretski
Established Member

Dropstep (guitar) cheatsheet mystery, for Yodas

Post by fretski »

https://tinyurl.com/yy3ugsrf

I edited the above dynamic cheatsheet some time ago and completely forgot what a simple aide-memoire on it was supposed to mean. The sheet is for dropstep guitar, featuring chord voicings that my fingers allow me to contemplate. If you like it save it because it's dated and the link dies with the next edit.

The mystery consists of the following number matrix

Code: Select all

3 6 2
5 1 4
in the middle of the 5ths circle near bottom right of page. The physical layout of the numbers is relevant, it HAS to do with the circle, possibly relational, may be about accidentals or such in the category of
Father Charles Goes Down
or similar.

BTW if you play guitar, note the tails on some of the chord diagram notes, how they reinforce the construction theory by showing where such notes came from on the fretboard (red is normaly root, black is 3rd & gold is 5th). Below D the keys truncate down to just alpha items forcing me to 'work' at it :))) Lemme know if you spot errors, thanks.
merlyn
Established Member

Re: Dropstep (guitar) cheatsheet mystery, for Yodas

Post by merlyn »

If you write out the numbers in a line :

3 6 2 5 1 4

you notice 2 5 1 which is a common progression. These numbers are going round in fourths or anti-clockwise on the cycles of fifths.

In C :

Em Am Dm G C F

It's left out 7 (viidim) because as we've seen that doesn't get used much. A lot of harmony moves by fourths like this.
fretski
Established Member

Re: Dropstep (guitar) cheatsheet mystery, for Yodas

Post by fretski »

merlyn wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:24 am If you write out the numbers in a line :

3 6 2 5 1 4

you notice 2 5 1 which is a common progression. These numbers are going round in fourths or anti-clockwise on the cycles of fifths.

In C :

Em Am Dm G C F

It's left out 7 (viidim) because as we've seen that doesn't get used much. A lot of harmony moves by fourths like this.
it has to be as quoted, I came up with it myself and I don't know enough musdic to have thought of the above.
fretski
Established Member

Re{solved}: Dropstep (guitar) cheatsheet mystery, for Yodas

Post by fretski »

fretski wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:15 pm https://tinyurl.com/yy3ugsrf

I edited the above dynamic cheatsheet some time ago and completely forgot what a simple aide-memoire on it was supposed to mean. The sheet is for dropstep guitar, featuring chord voicings that my fingers allow me to contemplate. If you like it save it because it's dated and the link dies with the next edit.

The mystery consists of the following number matrix

3 6 2
5 1 4

I think I got it, whaaaaada relief! I shudda made them roman numerals like so:

iii   vi   ii
 V    I    IV
That matrix should be outside the circle, as if the circle were a round table. If you point the center of it towards the circle when it's aligned with any letter it relativizes the 6 letters you're looking at. I'm not sure how useful this is but I cooked it up to help me find out ..before promptly forgetting it all :)