Do you find it hard to work on more than one recording at a time?

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

lykwydchykyn
Established Member

Do you find it hard to work on more than one recording at a time?

Post by lykwydchykyn »

When I work on doing a recording of a song, it's usually a process over several weeks, and I find during that time period that the song takes over my brain. I find it impossible to work on multiple songs in parallel, it's like as soon as one song takes over my brain I find the other one repulsive to even think about. The only way I can finish one is to just keep at it until it's done, then move on to the next.

Anyone else feel this way, or do you find it easy to work on multiple recordings/compositions in parallel?
TAERSH
Established Member

Re: Do you find it hard to work on more than one recording at a time?

Post by TAERSH »

It's dependent on my inspiration.

Usually I work on one song at a time. But I had also times when inspiration is overwhelming myself.
Last time this was in December 2019, when I worked on 13 Songs in 14 days.
Each new idea came to me when the the previous one song wasn't finished then.
I finished them all until the end of December 2019.
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

lykwydchykyn wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:50 am When I work on doing a recording of a song, it's usually a process over several weeks, and I find during that time period that the song takes over my brain. I find it impossible to work on multiple songs in parallel, it's like as soon as one song takes over my brain I find the other one repulsive to even think about. The only way I can finish one is to just keep at it until it's done, then move on to the next.

Anyone else feel this way, or do you find it easy to work on multiple recordings/compositions in parallel?
Yes and no. I work on one song at a time (composition, arrangement, recording) and this takes months. In this time I don't work on other songs but I might remix or remaster other, already finished songs when I think they need some improvement.

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

skei
Established Member

Post by skei »

i would go completely mad if i had to focus on only one song at a time.. i always have a bunch of albums and tracks "in progress" at the same time, and jump between them as inspiration comes and goes.. at the moment, i'm working on 5 (!) albums with different bands/projects, plus a few remixes, in various styles from black metal to electro/pop.. been doing this for more than 30 years now, so i guess it's become natural/habit..
milo
Established Member

Post by milo »

I often have a handful of things cooking at the same time, but usually most are on the backburner. Right now I have three recordings started, but only one has seen progress in the last 6 weeks. I have a queue of songs that I want to start when these are done.

I tend to work on songs "offline" with just my guitar for months or even years before I start recording them.
caprenter
Established Member

Post by caprenter »

I'm similar to @milo I tend to have a number of things on the go at the same time.

Quite often the songs that are not being worked on really benefit from time away. When I do come back to them, I pick up things I hadn't heard before, I have new ideas, I realise the mix is wrong, and so on.

This also means that some songs never get finished, (well not yet anyway) and that's no bad thing either - not every song is a winner!

I do find the song I'm working on at the time goes round and round my head. Sometimes that's ok, but at other times I need a break from it. My best strategy for removing it is to listen to other things - usually the radio, or other stuff from the music collection. It shifts it from 'earworm' status, and provides a break. I think it does have to be music, TV or film or quiet just doesn't shift it.
folderol
Established Member

Post by folderol »

One at a time for me, although on very rare occasions I'll put down a quick on-the-spot improv for later development.
Unfortunately I have quite a few of these hanging around waiting for me to get back to them :?
The Yoshimi guy {apparently now an 'elderly'}
baconature
Established Member

Post by baconature »

I have many going simultaneously and find it beneficial. I am far from a perfect musician, physically. So it requires a lot of practice before I can produce / record a clean track. I am not real fond of using punch-out although I do sometimes use it. I find that shifting between projects helps in keeping them fresh.

I also notice when I stay with a single project for extended amounts of time, that I tend to loose objectivity, due to personal bias, ie. wanting it to sound good morphs into believing it so. Then listening to it a month later, I am astounded that I thought it was good. It is weird.
Tom ~ Idaho USA

UbuntuStudio 20.04, Intel i5 3.30GHz 6600, Asus Q170Mc MotherBoard, 32Gb ram

My Music