DoReMiFa Solfege

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

S1gmoid
Established Member

Re: DoReMiFa Solfege

Post by S1gmoid »

merlyn wrote:Above you stated that solfege programs your brain to associate 'do' with the tonic. That's not happening with your blues scale example. Also how do you do the harmonic and melodic minors?
What I said was that the tonic is "do" in major, and "la" in minor. Essentially you're learning the structure of the diatonic scale, and you get the insight very early that minor and major are modes of each other (which opens up the understanding of modes in general).

The chromatic solfege the way I learned it goes "do di re ri mi fa fi so si la li ti do" with sharps and "do ra re me mi fa sa so lu la ta ti do" with flats. And as I said, as long as you're in the diatonic scale, you're not using accidentals. Accidentals are for stuff like the blues scale or melodic minor.
merlyn wrote:Where is all this tonal music? ABBA? Since the sixties blues has had a massive influence on music. We often hear bluesy and tonally 'wrong' music on the radio and elsewhere.
Blues (at least the kind of bluesy stuff we get in pop music) is tonal, it just has blue notes. Like how melodic minor isn't atonal either.
This is what atonal music sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNzwdLwA8g :P Jazz also breaks away from tonality, but let's face it, you don't hear free jazz on the radio too much.
Turn on MTV, and you'll get some kind of diatonal music, and more likely simple than complex at that.
merlyn
Established Member

Post by merlyn »

I use the term 'diatonic' and a piece is diatonic if it only uses notes that are in the key. Pop music often goes outside the key or is modal. Would you say All The Things You Are is diatonic?

What about a simple song like Sweet Home Alabama? It's in D but it has a C major chord from outside the key. Twinkle Twinkle Little Star is diatonic or tonal but I've not heard that on the radio often. :D
S1gmoid
Established Member

Post by S1gmoid »

Okay, now you are just resorting to, how to say it, "zee picking of zee nits". :P Of course you'll disagree if you use an unusably restrictive definition. Do you really see no difference between Ligeti (or Chick Corea) and, dunno, Britney Spears? :lol:

It's not about if all the rules are strictly held. Even Bach broke rules when his vision demanded it. It's about the framework in which music is written and understood. And that framework, with all normalized rule breaking and accidental notes and outside chords, is the diatonic scale and its modes.

It's like how the poem Jabberwocky by Lewis Carroll is undeniably, beyond any doubt, written in English.
bulevardi
Established Member

Post by bulevardi »

I'm a guitar player and new to piano.

Now,since my wife is starting with piano lessons, I created a diagram for the notes all over the keys.
I thought it could be handy... maybe for myself later on.

It's available on the web, but when you're looking for a printable piano diagram with notes and other indications, you mostly find something that's not suitable for the size of your piano size.

Therefore, I created a scalable vector graphic, so you can adjust the size of all keys for any kind of keyboard, add/delete stuff and edit everything as you wish.

The file can be downloaded here:
( http://users.telenet.be/bulevardi/piano.html ).
It's an SVG file that can be opened by anyone with Inkscape: free, open source and cross-platform.
Perhaps anyone else can be helped with this basic graphic ;)

Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....
Get In Touch^^
fretski
Established Member

Post by fretski »

Lyberta wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:47 am Funny thing. In Russian there is only "Do Re Mi" note names which makes it very confusing. I find C D E much simpler. Good thing I've learned only English music theory.
I never thought this thread would get 14000 reads. I have a question to people like you, people who from the outset had learned ABCD...

Can you doodle the letter-notes of any key more or less pitch correctly? I can do so only with some practice, first doing Do Re Mi and then mentally superimposing the pitch pattern on A B C (neural paths are like rain runoff tracks in the sand, what we learn first remains the foundation of what we learn later). I suppose that an ABC person would have to do what I do the other way around to sound off with Do Re Mi?