Software to teach me keys & music theory?

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

Death
Established Member

Software to teach me keys & music theory?

Post by Death »

I'd like some software that can teach me to play keys better, something that would act as a virtual teacher. And very importantly, I'd also like it to tie that in with music theory lessons in a practical way. My hope is to come out of it as a much better musician with new playing techniques, musical ideas and a much better understanding of how music works. If it can do the same thing with guitar, that'd be cool as a bonus but not necessary.

I've been playing for years, by the way, so I'm not new to the idea of playing an instrument. It's just that I've always played by ear and I don't even know what notes I'm playing half the time - I'm just guessing which keys to play. It was ok in the beginning but it's held me back for a long time now and I haven't progressed so I need something like this to take things further.

The software doesn't have to be free and open source, it doesn't even have to be Linux software if I can run it in Wine. Those things would be nice of course but I know it'd limit my options.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Last edited by Death on Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kott
Established Member

Re: Software to teach me keys & music theory?

Post by Kott »

sunrat
Established Member

Post by sunrat »

Kott wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:13 am https://www.pianobooster.org/ ?
+1. I'm also trying to teach myself keys and PianoBooster is really helpful.
Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

That looks useful, but does it actually teach you music theory and scales etc? I watched the videos and it seems to me like it just gives you sheet music to play along to. That's not quite what I was thinking if so. I was thinking interactive piano lessons tied in with music theory so I'm learning both together rather than simply learning to play a piece of music in a midi file.

Thanks for the suggestion though.