Drum track workflow

Ask general music theory or songwriting questions, get feedback!

Moderators: khz, MattKingUSA

hdr
Established Member

Drum track workflow

Post by hdr »

Hi,
I'm a guitarist and I'd like to put some drums to my guitar riffs. I have several drum plugins and several drum midi packs.
What's your workflow? How do you find a good drum beat out of all the midi files?
Right now I manually put one midi file after another to my drum track to listen how it sounds to my guitar riff. But that's very inconvenient with hundreds of drum midi files.

matterisvoid
Established Member

Re: Drum track workflow

Post by matterisvoid »

I'd be curious to see what other members on here have to say about their workflow, because I need some guidance with drum tracks as well. I've been using Hydrogen to just create simple loops to get a song started with the idea that I'll visit the drums again and flesh them out more.

Philotomy
Established Member

Re: Drum track workflow

Post by Philotomy »

My normal workflow with drums is to create some basic beats and flesh out the complete song structure. As I work on and record the song, I go back through the drums and add fills, variations, changes, et cetera.

I don't select from a library of MIDI beats or clips, I usually just create my own for the specific song. That can be a mix of manually entering the beats with mouse and keyboard, or it can mean playing the beats on a MIDI controller, or some combination of the two.

I typically use the "drum machine" device that came with Bitwig (my DAW), along with whatever drum samples I want for that song.
My recordings on SoundCloud
Distro: Arch, DAW: Bitwig, Interface: Scarlett 18i8 Gen 2