Guitarix & Behringer UMC202HD

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

omicronkappa278
Established Member

Guitarix & Behringer UMC202HD

Post by omicronkappa278 »

So I have been using Linux for a long time but I have NEVER been able to play my guitar through Linux well. It is the one factor I cannot seem to fix. I had Line 6 devices which are terrible for Linux. I looked and got this Behringer UMC202HD which is compatible with Linux.

I need help getting this to work. What I am looking for:

Best DAW for Linux. Ardour is a lot more complicated then Reaper or Studio One. Honestly Audacity is the best so far but flaky.

Jack setup and config with the Behringer UMC202. A recent tutorial would be helpful.

Can we get a thread going to discuss best ways to play guitar and record on Linux? I saw youtube vids where people are playing guitar and it sounds amazing, but I have only ever been able to get a raw clean sound which sounds terrible.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Re: Guitarix & Behringer UMC202HD

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

omicronkappa278 wrote:[...] Best DAW for Linux. Ardour is a lot more complicated then Reaper or Studio One. Honestly Audacity is the best so far but flaky.
I don't think there is such a thing as the best DAW (for any OS). Depends very much on what you want. Audacity is no full blown DAW but very straight forward in it's use. A DAW that can do more than that but is not complicated does not exist if you ask me. Then (community) support comes into play. Ableton Live and Bitwig appear the be the most used DAW's today so community support will be good for those, I think. Qtractor (= Linux only) handles MIDI very well. It's developer is active on this forum. I found Demonic Sweaters' video's on YouTube very handy for Qtractor (link).
omicronkappa278 wrote: Jack setup and config with the Behringer UMC202. A recent tutorial would be helpful.
Simply start Jack and you're good to go (don't forget to install pulseaudio-module-jack so PulseAudio plays nice w/ Jack). Use this command if your UMC202 is the second audio card (numbering starts at 0) on your computer:

Code: Select all

jackd -d alsa --device hw:1
wjl
Established Member

Post by wjl »

Hi omicronkappa278,

when I was in the same situation as you are now (knowing and using Linux, knowing some about music, but not using them both together until then),I found Libre Music Production to be a good help and resource for beginners like me.

For your case, I'd suggest to start here:

http://libremusicproduction.com/article ... d-guitarix and maybe here:
http://libremusicproduction.com/tutoria ... ear-ardour

You could help and/or even take over responsibility for that site if you have the time.

HTH,
Wolfgang
more about me on my blog
Basslint
Established Member

Post by Basslint »

If you want some step by step help, send me a PM and I'll help you figure it out :D
The community of believers was of one heart and mind, and no one claimed that any of his possessions was his own, but they had everything in common. [Acts 4:32]

Please donate time (even bug reports) or money to libre software 🎁

Jam on openSUSE + GeekosDAW!
Musicteacher
Established Member

Post by Musicteacher »

Maybe you should concentrate on one aspect first. a) Play guitar through Guitarix b) Use a DAW.

There are different ways to do this, and you have gotten good advice here already. I would do as follows:

a) Plug in your Behringer UMC and turn it on (I have a bigger Behringer interface which has to be turned on with a button, I overlooked that at first)
b) Start QJackControl
c) Click on "Settings", select the behringer card as sound card, hit OK
d) Press "Start"
e) Plug in your guitar. Adjust gain so that you get the signal LED, but not the clip LED
f) Start Guitarix and try one of the presets. If there are no presets, press the online-Button and get some online.

You should hear your playing through a headphone plugged into the behringer card. If you did not change settings, guitarix connects automatically the first input and the first two outputs, so you should hear something.

Then you can start to fine-tune ;)
omicronkappa278
Established Member

This is great advice. Any Distro you favor over others in Linux world?
lilith
Established Member

Post by lilith »

omicronkappa278 wrote:This is great advice. Any Distro you favor over others in Linux world?
Not really. I used the Ubuntu 14.04 based KX iso in the past and it was fine. Now I'm using Debian Stable and it's fine too, except of some problems with (likely) Mesa 13. I'm thinking about upgrading to Buster or even try MX-Linux (Debian based). I will stay with Debian for sure as the learning effect is a bit larger imo.
Linuxmusician01
Established Member

Post by Linuxmusician01 »

omicronkappa278 wrote:This is great advice. Any Distro you favor over others in Linux world?
If you want the best support for 3rd party software and from the community (and yes: that's what you want): Ubuntu. Wanna run a stable (web) server: Debian Stable.
omicronkappa278
Established Member

I always end up going back to Ubuntu. I am using POP OS by System76 which is basically Ubuntu in every way. Ok... I am resetting up my desktop and we are going to try this again. I expect to send question. I really appreciate the help.
Studiohead
Established Member

Post by Studiohead »

I have a laptop running Ubuntu Studio 20.04 I can’t get Guitarix or Rakarrack to work.

I have a Behringer BEHRINGER U-PHORIA UMC202HD interface.

The PC recognizes the interface. I can record my guitar on Audacity & throughput live data to speakers.

I’ve attempted to configure things in QJackctl

The QJackctl connections seem to be OK, they configure themselves, or am I missing something there?

I’ve gone to QJackctl/setup/settings & the Behringer interface is listed there & I’ve selected it but no joy with either programme.

Is it something to do with Ubuntu Studio Controls?

I actually have 2 x laptops running Ubuntu Studio 20.04 & I have the same problem on both PC’s.

Any ideas?