There's a lack of Qtractor video tutorials..

Post fully complete "how to" guides and tutorials here. This is a great place to get feedback on stuff you might put in the wiki.

Moderators: MattKingUSA, khz

thebutant
Established Member

Re: There's a lack of Qtractor video tutorials..

Post by thebutant »

windowsrefund wrote:Also, there doesn't seem to be a shortcut key that can be used to perform the split itself.
Well, if you go to Help -> Shortcuts, and scroll down just a little, you can make your own shortcut key for "Edit/Clip/Split".
I use Alt+S, as I find that to be both logical and easy to use. But this is configurable free software, right? Use whatever key(s) that makes you happy!
With this, you can easily split while sound is playing. It simply splits wherever the playhead is at the moment.

Making this one shortcut can save you (at least it did for me) sooooo much time.
rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

rncbc wrote:
Death wrote: 2. Automatic plugin delay compensation would also be a very nice addition to the above.
nope.

qtractor does not have support for automatic plugin latency compensation and there are no immediate plans to support that anytime soon. sorry.
as a matter of fact it was today that the plot took a slight turn: starting from today's qtractor >= 0.9.5.22git.391cfe that plugin latency/delay compensation is an option for tracks.

enjoy!
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I tested it with several instances of zita autotuner, wich adds a noticeble delay. It's compensated when I check the new "latency compensation" of this track.

I noticed that Calf Limiter doesn't report any latency although it's a lookahead limiter. Is this a bug in Calf Limiter or is it due to "work in progess" in Qtractor?

Linux – MOTU UltraLite AVB – Qtractor – http://suedwestlicht.saar.de/

rncbc
Established Member

Post by rncbc »

bluebell wrote:I tested it with several instances of zita autotuner, wich adds a noticeble delay. It's compensated when I check the new "latency compensation" of this track.

I noticed that Calf Limiter doesn't report any latency although it's a lookahead limiter. Is this a bug in Calf Limiter or is it due to "work in progess" in Qtractor?
obviously, plugins must report their latency for the compensation to work as intended.

the "Calf Limiter" seems to give no such report--you can check that it probably says "(no latency)" on the plugin's Properties.../About page, in the generic plugin editor dialog; there's one way to fake this report is by inserting an "Artificial Latency" plugin, provided you know the exact amount of delay the other plugin(s) in same chain are lacking or oblivious ;)

hth.
cheers
bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

I'll make a feature request for the calf plugin suite.

EDIT: someone did already.

https://github.com/calf-studio-gear/calf/issues/214

Death
Established Member

Post by Death »

rncbc wrote: as a matter of fact it was today that the plot took a slight turn: starting from today's qtractor >= 0.9.5.22git.391cfe that plugin latency/delay compensation is an option for tracks.

enjoy!
Ah god that's great news! I'm so happy to see the beginnings of this now :) I'm feeling drawn back to Qtractor again.. Thankyou.
RyanH
Established Member

Post by RyanH »

Just discovered this thread while looking to find a way to select all of a particular note in the MIDI editor window, and lo! I found the answer. This makes an already beautiful thing more beautiful. Thanks for starting this thread and to rncbc for this magical software. :D
Carl Irwin
Established Member

Post by Carl Irwin »

Not sure if anyone caught these earlier in the thread, but I published some more up to date tutorials for Qtractor a couple years ago:
https://youtu.be/iYyeHomJCUQ

A follow-up for all 'insert' mix routing:
https://youtu.be/pA-aLyHEqRg

Maybe these help for those getting started in Qtractor... or those trying to navigate some setup issues.

-Carl

bluebell
Established Member

Post by bluebell »

Carl Irwin wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:41 am

A follow-up for all 'insert' mix routing:
https://youtu.be/pA-aLyHEqRg

Hi Carl, I cannot confirm that you have to mix to buses "to the right". I think I can remember that I have to mix to buses "to the left".

In my projects I can

• output buses to the left, e.g. from the bus "Flutes" to "Master"
  • Using inserts in "Echo voc" that goes to "Rev Short", that means that the echo gets some reverb.

It's important having the same number of "bus hops" for each track so the latencies are the same. Each "bus hop" introduces some latency depending on jackd's bufsize.

Good setup:
Track1 -> Bus1 -> Bus2 -> Master
Track2 -> Bus3 -> Bus2 -> Master

Bad setup:
Track1 -> Bus1 -> Bus2 -> Master
Track2 -> Bus3 -> Master
Track3 -> Master

The difference in latencies is the bigger the bigger jackd's bufsize is.

Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_10-36-54.png
Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_10-36-54.png (87.64 KiB) Viewed 3662 times

Carl Irwin
Established Member

Post by Carl Irwin »

bluebell wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 8:44 am

Hi Carl, I cannot confirm that you have to mix to buses "to the right". I think I can remember that I have to mix to buses "to the left".
Bildschirmfoto_2023-05-18_10-36-54.png

From what I got in discussion with the dev, there are some hardware systems that will permit signal transfer to the left. I once had a system that would permit straight bus routing without inserts at all in any direction.